Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 11:55 AM

372 posts, read 1,149,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
The only way I could see this as being worth it, is if you take your bike with you when you ride.
I was going to use my kids Heelies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 12:27 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,901,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
What's with all the hate towards the rail system?
Because Cap Metro wasted a lot of money on a commuter rail line that doesn't serve very many people and most likely never will. Had they built their starter line along a well used bus line and or established corridor (say, I-35 to Roundrock near Dell), I think people would feel better about it. Better yet, they should have started in the city core first and worked outward, serving UT, the Capitol complex, entertainment district etc...But they tried to go on the cheap by using existing rail - even though it didn't really go where it was needed most.

I don't think that the "hate" is towards rail in general (at least I hope not), just toward this particular boondoggle of a project. Although I'm very critical of the project, I don't want it to fail and hope I'm proven wrong but there is a lot of evidence to suggest that this line will not be very successful as currently constituted.

Last edited by twange; 03-22-2010 at 01:36 PM..

Old 03-22-2010, 12:58 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,087,456 times
Red line seems appropriate since it will probably operate in the red for a long time.

I do hope it is successful and is the beginning of an improved mass transit system in Austin.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:10 PM

324 posts, read 1,312,283 times
i would love to see mass tran here in austin. the red line is ridiculous. it cost a fortune and it goes no where. they expect some stupid thing like "2000" riders/day. but they are counting the round trip to leander as two trips, so it really is at best 1,000 riders/day. then it doesn't run at night or weekends, so that takes away any hope of the far northwest folk using it to "party' in town! and you are right, it takes just as long as to travel by private vehicle............government at it's best

Old 03-22-2010, 02:54 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,269,293 times
I dont think there is anyone here that HATES rail as a form of public transit. I think what most people respond to is how it was implemented here in Austin. It is clearly the most half assed light rail I have ever seen. The complete lack of research of the people most likely to ride it, and where the routes should be located was never taken into consideration. None of that mattered--only that it was fairly CHEAP by comparison to other cities. Where is the GIS study done for this project and why isn't it available on the city website somewhere???

I think overall light rail IS something that is benificial, but done correctly, NOT half assed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Because Cap Metro wasted a lot of money on a commuter rail line that doesn't serve very many people and most likely never will. Had they built their starter line along a well used bus line and or established corridor (say, I-35 to Roundrock near Dell), I think people would feel better about it. Better yet, they should have started in the city core first and worked outward, serving UT, the Capitol complex, entertainment district etc...But they tried to go on the cheap by using existing rail - even though it didn't really go where it was needed most.

I don't think that the "hate" is towards rail in general (at least I hope not), just toward this particular boondoggle of a project. Although I'm very critical of the project, I don't want it to fail and hope I'm proven wrong but there is a lot of evidence to suggest that this line will not be very successful as currently constituted.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:03 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,003,584 times
Ok, got it. I understand now. No hate for rail, no love for how it was done here.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:10 PM

246 posts, read 858,213 times
Lucky for us the Red Line passes somewhat close to our house and my wife works downtown. I think she'll be giving it a try pretty soon.

I would think the bets name is "Red Line" since, hopefully, there'll be other colors of lines in the future.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:37 PM

206 posts, read 483,862 times
Over budget, behind schedule, rates doubled before service even began. No way it will ever be maintained w/o increasing taxes on non-users making it a very unpopular choice. Compare against the 183A toll road, which is hated as well, but is expanding years ahead of schedule and has actually made an impact to congestion. Also, the user pays for 183A, where the commuter rail has no way to pay for itself - too few riders and too few available times to ride.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:53 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,863,665 times
I don't understand why Austin , San Antonio , Fort Worth haven't gotten on the Light Rail / Commuter Rail band wagon like Dallas and Houston have. And for a progressive city like Austin this embarrassing. Now Austin is the butt of jokes in the Transit / Rail communities. As for what this is , its a commuter line.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:21 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,063,046 times
Will it relieve traffic? No
Will it make traffic worse? Yes, near the crossings.
Will it pay for itself? No
Will someone be killed? Yes (in the first 30 days I predict)
Will mass chaos ensue in a week when payment is required? Yes
Must you have exact change? No, but you don't get change if you don't have exact.
Is there enough room for bikes? No
Is it faster than driving before 7AM? No, way slower. Return trip may be about the same though.
Is it faster and cheaper to ride the Leander bus? Yes

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin