Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 07:40 AM

117 posts, read 347,810 times

Advertisements

We are relocating from the Boston area to Georgetown in June. We've gotten a couple of quotes from national movers and are pretty staggered at the cost ($11k!), since we aren't moving a whole lot of furniture to begin with, just two bedrooms and office, and some patio furniture, plus boxes for kitchen stuff, garage stuff, files and clothes and three pieces of exercise equipment.

The one local guy I've used before thinks it would all fit in a 24 foot truck. Waiting for his quote now.

We have quotes from United and Mayflower. Can anyone share positive experiences (or bad ones) with national moving people and rough costs for the move (poundage, I guess).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 08:54 PM

24 posts, read 91,650 times
We are moving from Oklahoma to Austin and I have 5 quotes from national moving companies. They range from $9000 to $11000. This includes packing the entire house, loading, transport and unloading. Moving a 3000sqft household. Most of our cost was the transport. So from Boston to Austin that sounds about right.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:16 AM

515 posts, read 1,398,746 times
We are moving next month from San Jose to Austin with United Van Lines. Our things are already in storage which was an added expense, but the actual moving cost will be 5200.00 from CA to TX. We owned a 4 bedroom house, but we really didn't have a lot of stuff. We did sell any furniture that we really could live with out, and we also sold all of our appliances. That can really drive up the price as they weigh a lot. Our mover was great in really advising us how to keep the cost down. We did all of our own packing with the exception of our china, crystal and everyday dishes. I thought I would leave that to the experts. Moving cost can really get out of control, so do all of your own packing (or at least most of it as in my case), don't move appliances unless you have too, and if it's furniture that you are tired of and really don't need to replace in the next six months or so...sell it or leave it. Have a good move.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:42 AM

42 posts, read 141,141 times
We moved from eastern Ohio to Georgetown and the cost was around $5700.00 - Allied Van Lines. Don't know if they are in Boston.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:13 AM

433 posts, read 1,659,711 times
Whomever you use, get a GNTE (guaranteed not to exceed) estimate, meaning they can't charge you more than the estimate they give you. Helps weed out the scammers and ensures there are no surprises down the road. My guy underestimated the weight of my stuff by almost $1000, but they had to eat it because I had a GNTE.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:56 AM

260 posts, read 905,485 times
It must be the distance.

I just got a quote from North American Van Lines to move from Austin to Phoenix. We are in a 4000 SF house but don't have a lot of stuff. Like a previous poster, we are getting rid of old furniture we intend to replace and I'm doing self pack for everything except for art/mirrors, TV's, my garage, and attic. Our quote was $5k and is 'not to exceed' but I get a credit if the weight is less. I'm getting quotes from two other national companies.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:18 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,115,688 times
You might also check with Square Cow Movers, who estimate by space needed, not weight. They seem to have a good reputation.

WELCOME (http://www.squarecowmoovers.com/SQUARE%20COW/WELCOME.html - broken link)

Old 04-20-2010, 09:34 AM

589 posts, read 1,814,896 times
In deciding on our moving company this past fall, we relied upon advice from movingscamdotcom. Even if you don't use any of their suggested movers, you will find lots of tips for avoiding common scams.

By the way, we moved from northern California to Round Rock and we paid $6631 for the moving company, supplies, tips, and fast food lunches for the crew. We moved about 12000 lbs. Our 2600 sq ft house in California was loaded down with furniture. Also, you will want to keep cold water on hand on both ends. Much appreciated by the crew.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:37 AM

589 posts, read 1,814,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
You might also check with Square Cow Movers, who estimate by space needed, not weight. They seem to have a good reputation.
According to many consumer websites I've visited (for what that's worth), estimates not based upon weight are a common scam. I guess weight is a more accurate predicter of fuel consumption, etc...

Take care.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:18 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,115,688 times
Here's another thread on the same subject:
Long Distance Movers. Any suggestions? ( 1 2)
Runemaster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin