Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 01:31 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times

Advertisements

I know this thread is about a Port A/SPI comparison, but since the FL aspect has entered...

I find the Texas beaches to be much more kid-friendly than some of the FL beaches - there are some steep drop-offs on many of the FL beaches right at the waters edge. And whereas the waves tend to run up on the beaches in Texas for a long stretch, they are many places where they 'crash' onto the little ledges on the FL beaches. Neither is an issue for an adult, but when I was taking little ones to the beach (who couldn't care less on the clarity of the water or color of the sand), the west end of Galveston and Port. A were very accessible to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 01:38 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,683,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I know this thread is about a Port A/SPI comparison, but since the FL aspect has entered...

I find the Texas beaches to be much more kid-friendly than some of the FL beaches - there are some steep drop-offs on many of the FL beaches right at the waters edge. And whereas the waves tend to run up on the beaches in Texas for a long stretch, they are many places where they 'crash' onto the little ledges on the FL beaches. Neither is an issue for an adult, but when I was taking little ones to the beach (who couldn't care less on the clarity of the water or color of the sand), the west end of Galveston and Port. A were very accessible to them.
Riptide is much worse in the Florida panhandle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Laughably false statement for every aspect outside of sand color.
I've been to both. You obviously have not. The beaches of the Destin to Panama City stretch are often voted the most beautiful beaches IN THE WORLD. The water is most normally completely clear, although there can be exceptions after large rains.

And I'll grant that SPI is much nicer than Galveston or Port A, it's nowhere near as clear.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:22 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,469,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post

It really isn't worth the hassle & expense to fly down to SPI from Austin, what with airport security/waiting, then renting a car. Plus you can take more of your own beach stuff in your vehicle - particularly a truck.
I can't wait! Your photo looks really inviting. If everything's good, we'll put SPI in the yearly vacation rotation. As a family of four, it can become cost prohibitive flying everywhere. Florida isn't terribly expensive, but multiplying by four? I'd rather just drive to padre instead.

Old 06-21-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I can't wait! Your photo looks really inviting. If everything's good, we'll put SPI in the yearly vacation rotation. As a family of four, it can become cost prohibitive flying everywhere. Florida isn't terribly expensive, but multiplying by four? I'd rather just drive to padre instead.
We fly to Florida a lot. By the time you add the drive to the airport, security, one stop, plane change, drive from airport to where we are staying, the total easily equals the driving time to SPI.

SPI just isn't for us. I hope you have a blast.

Old 06-21-2018, 03:28 PM

12,945 posts, read 13,330,473 times
We like SPI because it's closer to us - and it is in Texas.

Old 06-21-2018, 03:50 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,214,400 times
We've been to SPI and Destin, both from Austin. We went to Destin with a 3 and 6 year old. Stayed over in Baton Rouge. Easy peasy and got to take in the Baton Rouge sites for two afternoons/evenings. After going to Destin, I'd never go back to TX beaches again. The beach - the water and the sand - is amazing, could hard believe how pristine they both were. If I lived as close as Austin, I'd be going every summer at least once or twice. So impressive that we'd considering flying from NY just to go to Destin again.

Old 06-21-2018, 03:59 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,409,499 times
If you are going to be driving to a TX beach, SPI is not worth the extra two to two and a half hours of driving compared to Port A. Even nicer than Port A is Mustang Island, JP Luby in CC, and North Padre in northern Kleberg County.

Sure the water may be slightly clearer in SPI. But it is a much longer drive, more isolated, and more expensive. Most importantly, you don't get any different of an experience between the two areas.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:26 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,300,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
I've been to both. You obviously have not.
Well, at least you've mastered irony.

Quote:
The beaches of the Destin to Panama City stretch are often voted the most beautiful beaches IN THE WORLD.
Too bad you haven't figured out the art of reading fine print.

Quote:
The water is most normally completely clear, although there can be exceptions after large rains.

And I'll grant that SPI is much nicer than Galveston or Port A, it's nowhere near as clear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Yes.

But the quality & clarity of the Texas waters vary from bleah (Galveston most of the time) to good. Port A is ok and SPI good, but not up to Florida's standards.
Nope, both SPI and Destin have similar water clarity. As I've said before, the whiter sand at Destin tricks you into perceiving the water as clearer. You also have to make sure that you are controlling for ambient conditions during a comparison: a windy day at SPI versus a calm day at Destin does not an accurate comparison make.

Actually, Destin would be less consistent than SPI year-round in maintaining great water clarity. Large rains are more of an issue for Destin's climate compared to SPI's. Oh, and two words: june grass.

Last edited by Texyn; 06-21-2018 at 04:43 PM..

Old 06-21-2018, 05:57 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,469,203 times
Quote:
We fly to Florida a lot. By the time you add the drive to the airport, security, one stop, plane change, drive from airport to where we are staying, the total easily equals the driving time to SPI.

SPI just isn't for us. I hope you have a blast.
Fair enough, I get you.

Honestly, my favorite beaches aren't even found in the US.

But honestly, while we're (thankfully) comfortable, we're not that well off where we'd want to spend $3000 or more every time our kids have a beach jones. Coming from New York, I think it's great that we have a decent beach with non-crap looking water within driving distance. New York beaches for the most part suck as far as I'm concerned (with a few exceptions) and I've been to several - Rye, Jones, Orchard, etc. - and I'll take Texas's any day of the week.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Fair enough, I get you.

Honestly, my favorite beaches aren't even found in the US.
We spent a small fortune going to Hawaii for a week. I was really disappointed in the beaches there.

For us, beaches need beautiful sand, water, and restaurant choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin