Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2010, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,372 times

Advertisements

I know there are some similar threads, but since I'm heading down to Austin next week to check it out, I thought I'd start my own thread.

I'm looking to potentially move to Austin and would love some advice on what neighborhoods would best meet my criteria.

My boyfriend and I live in NYC and are considering moving to Austin.

We'd be looking to rent a two bedroom apartment in the neighborhood of $1100 a month.

We'd like a safe area close to "downtown" Austin with potentially a nice sandwich shop within walking distance ha! We'd both have cars so that wouldn't be an issue, we're just used to walking everywhere. Also, we'd like the neighborhood to be dog friendly, maybe trails or good dog parks nearby.

I was told to look into West Lake and Tarrytown, any other suggestions?

Thank you all in advance!
-Leslie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 09:18 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,122,240 times
I'd look at close in south Austin -- Travis Heights, Bouldin, Zilker, and Barton Hills. Also close-in north Austin, Hyde Park, Rosedale, as well.

Good luck!

Old 05-03-2010, 08:40 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,453,735 times
Exactly. I tried to post that last night and my ISP was being cranky.

Barton Hills, Travis Heights, Bouldin, Zilker areas are just north of Lady Bird Lake, thus close to downtown, there's a dog park in Travis Heights, I believe, and they're very close to Zilker Park, there's things you can walk to. Try SoCo, as well - actually, since my son lived in NYC for several years and then came home and lived here for a few years, based on his feedback (he LOVES NYC), I'd say SoCo or Barton Hills are your best bet if you can find something in your price range there.

West Lake and Tarrytown, while nice, likely aren't going to be what you're looking for and you may not be able to find something in your price range in those areas (though I could be wrong about the latter).

Old 05-03-2010, 09:28 AM

1,534 posts, read 2,776,528 times
Other walkable neighborhoods with coffee-shops, restaurants etc close to downtown would be Clarkesville around 12th and West Lynn, Hyde Park around 43rd and Duval, Central East Austin around 11th and Waller, the southern end of French Place off Manor Road, the stretch of Lake Austin boulevard near Deep Eddy, along with the neighborhoods just south of the river already mentioned. Rentals in these neighborhoods will mostly be older with some duplexes and small houses, though there are a few newer complexes, and a two bedroom for $1100 should be findable. Good luck in your search!

Old 05-03-2010, 09:48 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,027,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

Barton Hills, Travis Heights, Bouldin, Zilker areas are just north of Lady Bird Lake, thus close to downtown,
Those neighborhoods are actually south of Lady Bird Lake/downtown. I'm sure it was a typo.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:14 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,453,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
Those neighborhoods are actually south of Lady Bird Lake/downtown. I'm sure it was a typo.
Dang! That's what I get for posting pre-caffeine and breakfast on a Monday morning when I'm fielding all the real estate post-weekend stuff!

Yes, just south of Lady Bird Lake. My other north.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:35 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,745,940 times
Try walkscore.com. Some of the hits will be outdated or miscategorized but it will still give you an idea how walkable different areas are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: