Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 01:27 PM

27 posts, read 70,247 times

Advertisements

We used a POD moving from Seattle to Austin this summer. It was awesome. Except about 2 ft too small having just one for our whole house. We ended up also using a small uhaul trailer behind our 4runner. It was great, delivery was so easy and the pick up great. The only issue we had was when we left Seattle before the POD was picked up and someone parked near it so the guy couldn't get it picked up. Luckily the guy worked it out but cones might help? Also since you pack it, if something breaks it is kind of our fault but not one thing was damaged in our move.

Last edited by Austindmbfan; 05-09-2010 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 01:03 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,815,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonegg View Post
You have to wait for the pods to arrive and get assembled. Then I had to wait for the movers to load them. Then the driver came back to pick them up. At the new location - wait for the pods, then wait for another set of movers to unload, then wait for the driver to pick the pods up.
I don't understand something.
I just called Pods and they said the container comes assembled.
The movers you spoke about arent a part of the Pd company.
The way they explained it to me, they drop it off, pick it up, deliver it, then pick it up again.
I'm confused.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:19 PM

172 posts, read 516,146 times
You understand it right.

They deliver a big box in front of your place, you have some period of time to fill it up, they ship it, you have some period of time to empty it at the destination, they pick it up.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:37 PM

Thats kinda what I thought.... I have no clue what lemonegg is talking about.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:40 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times
That's a different type of moving - I think it's called "crating", utilized for overseas moves generally.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:01 PM

409 posts, read 873,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish22 View Post
I don't understand something.
I just called Pods and they said the container comes assembled.
The movers you spoke about arent a part of the Pd company.
The way they explained it to me, they drop it off, pick it up, deliver it, then pick it up again.
I'm confused.
Quote:
Thats kinda what I thought.... I have no clue what lemonegg is talking about.
The pods were shipped to my house on a truck, flat. The driver unloaded them and put each one together so now they are boxes. But if your pods arrive already box like then I guess every pod like company does things differently. It did not the driver that long to "unflaten" my pods so its not that big of a deal.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:11 PM

Hmmm.....
Okay---thanks for the reply.
The company your talking about----was it Pods.com?

Old 05-11-2010, 02:15 PM

409 posts, read 873,891 times
Quote:
Hmmm.....
Okay---thanks for the reply.
The company your talking about----was it Pods.com?
I don't remember the name of the company but it was not Pod.com.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:17 PM

Ahhhhh okay.
I'm getting ready to use them---and I'm glad what you spoke about WASNT them.
Thanks!
Sorry about your rough move by the way.
It's a pain in the butt I know.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:12 PM

347 posts, read 1,567,540 times
We used ABF too and had a good experience. I second the suggestion of wrapping your stuff really well. We were just chucking things in the container at the last minute and several things were broken--our fault entirely.

They were easy to communicate with but the only thing I would complain about was the fact that they don't work on weekends. Which is a pain if you are in your new house and still have to wait a few days for everything to show up. That's how it is for most moving companies, though.

We ended up needing an extra container than we though we would need and ABF was really great about bringing them out as needed.

It was easy to hire a crew at the last minute to unload everything for us here in Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin