Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 05:10 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times

Advertisements

Show them pictures of Gerard metal roofing.... they will change their opinion. Gerard Roofing Technologies - Stone Coated Steel Roofs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 06:05 PM

653 posts, read 1,794,769 times
I need to research how the "green" rated composite shingles compare to metal.
IF they are really just as good, in all the areas I am concerned about, then I would be content to go in that direction.
- fire resistant
- hail resistant
- wind resistant
- recycle-ability
I still have research to do here.

The exact wording of the deed restrictions I found published, do not prohibit any type of roof specifically. The catch is that EVERYTHING has to be approved by the committee.
http://www.wellsbranchmud.com/covenants/014Phasedsec1.pdf (broken link)

It was the wording in the message I received from the person who is in charge of enforcement of deed restrictions that led me to believe that ANY type of metal roof would not be approved:
"Shingles must be of a composite nature. No tile, tin or other such material is likely to be approved."

The idea of just utilizing the money saved for other energy efficient modifications is good.
However, I already planned to use the best reasonable attic insulation and windows. (Reasonable being interpretable, and highly limited by my actual budget).
I also do not want to install a new roof that can not be recycled.
Durability of the roof, along with the insurance deductions, are also factors.

I always look at the placement of mature trees when I look at houses.
For one house I considered, I was considering planting a bush that could quickly grow very tall (less root invasion, and quicker growth than any tree I know of) to shade the SW corner of the house.
(There was no good shade to the South or West of this particular house, and due to the small lot and large footprint of the house, there really was not room for a tree that would not eventually result in roots invading the foundation).

That was before I found a copy of the deed restrictions.
There is a limit on how tall a bush can be allowed to grow.
That rule is explicit.

However, despite all of my options (which I really appreciate people pointing out to me), the response from the MUD person, does have me believing that appearance is more important than functionality.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:41 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
If you decide not to buy, be sure to write a polite but firm note to the MUD rep detailing how the restrictions inhibited you from completing the purchase.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:49 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
If that doesn't work and you still want to "go green", perhaps you can take the money you save by going with shingles and apply it to other green features (e.g. better attic insulation, radiant barriers, well placed trees, rain water collection, etc, etc).

Excellent point! The "other green features (e.g. better attic insulation, radiant barriers, well placed trees)" could easily save more energy then the roof material it self.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:03 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Solar panels and metal roofs are some of the issues that homeowners seem to have in HOA or, in this case MUD controlled subdivisions.

At one time satellite dishes were considered the eyesore but that issue got overruled at the Fed level and no one can be denied their satellite TV anymore.

Time to send those emails to your rep for a change..hopefully at the Fed level so that people all over America who want to go green via solar, wind and metal roofs are not prohibited from doing so.
The fed cannot do anything about it, constitutionally, it is a local issue. There are probably a couple of reasons the fed could have gotten involved in the satellite dish issues. If the broadcasts fell under the purview of FCC or if there were a monopoly conspiracy between cable companies and developers when the bylaws were being drafted, then the Federal Trade Commission could get involved. I don't know the history of it though.

However, deed restrictions with the exceptions of those that disallowed selling to people based on race, religion, ethnicity or other classes protected by the Civil Rights act of 1968 (which included the Fair Housing Act) are going to be governed by state law. The constitution limits the power given to the federal government.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
If you decide not to buy, be sure to write a polite but firm note to the MUD rep detailing how the restrictions inhibited you from completing the purchase.
I was a little pre-mature on this one.

I already responded to her email with

Buying a home in Wells Branch, might not be a good fit for me.
But I do appreciate your time, and quick response.

Then I decided that since the response was not a definite "No", but a "Not Likely To Be Approved" that maybe it was worth at least getting the estimate and submitting the plan, and must maybe they will fail to respond in the required 30 days. If they fail to respond, then I am allowed to proceed.

There was a case, where an HOA sued someone for not getting the needed approval before installing a metal roof.
I found a reference to such a case, via google search, but the article it referred to was no longer available.
reference to article here (http://www.texcenproperties.com/wordpress/?p=348 - broken link)

Old 05-18-2010, 08:49 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
The fed cannot do anything about it, constitutionally, it is a local issue. There are probably a couple of reasons the fed could have gotten involved in the satellite dish issues. If the broadcasts fell under the purview of FCC or if there were a monopoly conspiracy between cable companies and developers when the bylaws were being drafted, then the Federal Trade Commission could get involved. I don't know the history of it though.

However, deed restrictions with the exceptions of those that disallowed selling to people based on race, religion, ethnicity or other classes protected by the Civil Rights act of 1968 (which included the Fair Housing Act) are going to be governed by state law. The constitution limits the power given to the federal government.
It's part of Cap & Trade.

I've only copied the pertinent part..the rest of the bill (passed by the House) is on the web:

H.R.2454
American Clean Energy and Security Act of 2009 (Engrossed as Agreed to or Passed by House)
————————————————†”—————————–
SEC. 209. PROHIBITION OF RESTRICTIONS ON RESIDENTIAL INSTALLATION OF SOLAR ENERGY SYSTEM.
(a) Regulations- Within 180 days after the enactment of this Act, the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development, in consultation with the Secretary of Energy, shall issue regulations–
(1) to prohibit any private covenant, contract provision, lease provision, homeowners’ association rule or bylaw, or similar restriction, that impairs the ability of the owner or lessee of any residential structure designed for occupancy by 1 family to install, construct, maintain, or use a solar energy system on such residential property; and
(2) to require that whenever any such covenant, provision, rule or bylaw, or restriction requires approval for the installation or use of a solar energy system, the application for approval shall be processed and approved by the appropriate approving entity in the same manner as an application for approval of an architectural modification to the property, and shall not be willfully avoided or delayed.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:58 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's part of Cap & Trade.

I've only copied the pertinent part..the rest of the bill (passed by the House) is on the web:

H.R.2454
American Clean Energy and Security Act of 2009 (Engrossed as Agreed to or Passed by House)
————————————————†”—————————–
SEC. 209. PROHIBITION OF RESTRICTIONS ON RESIDENTIAL INSTALLATION OF SOLAR ENERGY SYSTEM.
(a) Regulations- Within 180 days after the enactment of this Act, the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development, in consultation with the Secretary of Energy, shall issue regulations–
(1) to prohibit any private covenant, contract provision, lease provision, homeowners’ association rule or bylaw, or similar restriction, that impairs the ability of the owner or lessee of any residential structure designed for occupancy by 1 family to install, construct, maintain, or use a solar energy system on such residential property; and
(2) to require that whenever any such covenant, provision, rule or bylaw, or restriction requires approval for the installation or use of a solar energy system, the application for approval shall be processed and approved by the appropriate approving entity in the same manner as an application for approval of an architectural modification to the property, and shall not be willfully avoided or delayed.
But that has to do with energy production, again something that falls under the purview of the federal government. Note that the Secretary of Energy is involved.

Even if somehow, you could try to find a way to fit a roof design under one of the federal government's enumerated powers, it is much easier to get your local representative's attention than it is to get your representative in DC.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:56 PM

I was wondering why they allowed people to have solar panels on the roof, yet were so picky about what the roof is made of.
It almost seemed silly, to me, to insist on a composition shingle roof, yet allow satellite dishes, solar panels, an other things that detract from the beauty of the composition shingle look.
The rules do state no outdoor TV antennas. I guess the people selling these did not have the same lobbying power as those selling the satellite dishes.

How do the energy star rated composition shingles compare to metal, in terms of
- resistance to fire
- resistance to hail
- resistance to wind
- keeping the house cool (heat reflection and emission)
- recycle-ability

These could be an option. I find a lot of articles comparing these heat reflecting shingles with non heat reflecting shingles; and articles comparing metal with non heat reflecting shingles.

Maybe someone has a nice table published, where I can quickly compare the various types of energy-star rated roofs?

Old 05-18-2010, 10:41 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
eileen,

Quite honestly I think that if you feel this much resistance to what you hope to accomplish and live in for a new home in THIS area. You should simply move on and find a place that is more accommodating to your needs and expectations. Buying a new home should be a joyful experience, not one filled with anguish, trepidation and fears before you even get a chance to move in.

I wish you all the best in finding that place that is right for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin