Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 10:13 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,174,886 times

Advertisements

I want to spend 2 weeks in NZ next winter (US winter, that is). I've spent several weeks in Australia before, but have a relative there who was able to suggest places to go and things to do and see, so I was able to plan a great trip that included many things I enjoyed seeing and doing. But I'm at a loss about what the "high points" are that a visitor might want to check out in New Zealand. I'd like a mix of culture, the arts, and outdoorsy activities (hiking, etc.). I also prefer a mix of typical touristy things (after all, there is a reason everyone goes to see certain places - they're awesome!) and "off the beaten track" marvels. If any natives - or even people who just had a wonderful vacation there - could give me a list of "must-dos" I would greatly appreciate it, as it would give me a starting place for researching my vacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 07:10 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Have you started by looking here
New Zealand 100% Pure | Official Travel information from Tourism New Zealand

Old 05-21-2012, 12:20 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,174,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Yes, I did look at that site before posting here, but I didn't find it especially helpful. It isn't very easy to navigate and the links load very slowly if at all.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:52 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,473,128 times
On North Island I would take a tour up to Northland. You can take a boat trip around Bay of Islands that should include dolphin watching and snorkelling and take an all-day bus trip that will go up to the lighthouse and down 90-Mile Beach. I would go to Rotorua and visit the Buried Village and do some quad-biking (LOTS of fun if it's just rained that morning) . In Auckland you can go to the museum which is fantastic. (In Wellington there is also the equally amazing Te Papa museum.) In Auckland you can also get the ferry to Waiheke and spend the day lazing on a beach or go out to Piha and lie on the black sands and/or climb Lion Rock.

Just a few ideas to start with . . .

Old 05-21-2012, 01:12 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,173,875 times
Planning a trip to NZ or Australia as well. Just started looking tonight on that site to size things up and hopefully decide on one country or the other. The Agrodome in Rotorua looks interesting. Probably a massive tourist trap, but still for a guy who's only ever seen Suffolks 19 breeds of sheep (though I imagine one will be Suffolk) is pretty interesting. Sheep dog trials are pretty entertaining too. It'd also be interesting to see someone who knows what they're doing shear a sheep. I know I have always been astounded to hear people in New Zealand could shear one in 5 minutes and do it well when it'd take me 45 minutes to butcher the job. Plus it looks like it there should be a bus or something between there and Auckland.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:53 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
I want to spend 2 weeks in NZ next winter (US winter, that is). But I'm at a loss about what the "high points" are that a visitor might want to check out in New Zealand. I'd like a mix of culture, the arts, and outdoorsy activities (hiking, etc.). I also prefer a mix of typical touristy things (after all, there is a reason everyone goes to see certain places - they're awesome!) and "off the beaten track" marvels. If any natives - or even people who just had a wonderful vacation there - could give me a list of "must-dos" I would greatly appreciate it, as it would give me a starting place for researching my vacation.
Well for starters in terms of culture and arts, NZ is still a relatively young country in world terms and a small and isolated one at that, so that end of it isn't what most people would go to NZ for. Most of the "culture" revolves around beer, rugby, cricket, motor racing, more beer, rooting, more beer and other outdoor activities, a lot of which is fine by me, but doesn't appeal to the crowd that extends their pinky while drinking tea. There are some artsy fartsy streets in Wellington and Auckland but nothing like one would see elsewhere in the world.

Auckland to me is a boring city and it's the business end of NZ. It's not a touristy place or oriented to tourism. Wellington is not a bad city but you better have the legs of a mountain goat to get around and it's a densely packed place. Christchurch, unfortunately wasn't a bad place at all, but the earthquake has tore the heart out of the city and that is that for them.

I think the one place that doesn't disappoint is the whole Te Anau-Milford Sound-Queenstown-Wanaka region. Stunning scenery, plenty to do of interest to tourists, plenty of places to eat and a nice mix of weather. The west coast of the south island can be rugged and isolated with some good scenery. Lake Tekapo-Mt Cook, Hanmer Springs, Arthur Pass are all nice areas without tons of people. The wine region up in the Marlborough is like California without people.

The North Island is much more populated and less oriented to tourism. I think one of the best places there is the Coromandel Peninsula on the east side and also the Lake Taupo region. Rotorua is kind of a tourist trap next to a muddy lake, I don't find it hugely appealing.

Also when it comes to "off the beaten track", don't let your guard down. People just assume NZ is as safe as heaven and about 200-300 tourists a year die from misadventure in NZ. A lot of tourists die on hikes not prepared for the elements or slipping and falling. Other adventure sports claim others along with dangerous 2 lane roads out of the 1930's and a fair share have ended up murdered, raped or beaten. The police are relatively ineffective and sparse and emergency medical care is lacking and often far away. If you get in a car accident in a rural area or fall while hiking, you are in deep doo doo.

Nothing to overly fear but be aware of. Seems a lot of people think NZ is "Gods own country" and while beautiful, it can reach out and bite. A lot of tourists get caught up and let their guard down and think walking certain streets at 2 AM is GTG or leaving doors unlocked or walking off in the wilderness is no problem and well, it isn't.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:25 AM

I would not hesitate to visit Rotorua to see th sulphuric geysers.. Ys the smell can be strong but you and everyine that visits adapts and I have asthma i actially found it soothing. Id chech out the Polynesian Day spa to soak in the thermal pools overlooking thr lake. Quite relaxing. Do a google search and there are enough things to do in the area. The area around rotorua and lake taupo have a strong maori influence worth exploring

I also like Auckland, itts museum has an excellent Pacific Island collection. You can check out extinct volcanic cones, take a ferry to a cute town called Davenport, or check out the black sand beaches west of the city (the piano was filmed in the area) Ponsomby road is an interesting shopping destination and youll eat well. Some people dont like it, some do.. Just like any ither city.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:27 AM

317 posts, read 528,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Well for starters in terms of culture and arts, NZ is still a relatively young country in world terms and a small and isolated one at that, so that end of it isn't what most people would go to NZ for. Most of the "culture" revolves around beer, rugby, cricket, motor racing, more beer, rooting, more beer and other outdoor activities, a lot of which is fine by me, but doesn't appeal to the crowd that extends their pinky while drinking tea. There are some artsy fartsy streets in Wellington and Auckland but nothing like one would see elsewhere in the world.

Auckland to me is a boring city and it's the business end of NZ. It's not a touristy place or oriented to tourism. Wellington is not a bad city but you better have the legs of a mountain goat to get around and it's a densely packed place. Christchurch, unfortunately wasn't a bad place at all, but the earthquake has tore the heart out of the city and that is that for them.

I think the one place that doesn't disappoint is the whole Te Anau-Milford Sound-Queenstown-Wanaka region. Stunning scenery, plenty to do of interest to tourists, plenty of places to eat and a nice mix of weather. The west coast of the south island can be rugged and isolated with some good scenery. Lake Tekapo-Mt Cook, Hanmer Springs, Arthur Pass are all nice areas without tons of people. The wine region up in the Marlborough is like California without people.

The North Island is much more populated and less oriented to tourism. I think one of the best places there is the Coromandel Peninsula on the east side and also the Lake Taupo region. Rotorua is kind of a tourist trap next to a muddy lake, I don't find it hugely appealing.

Also when it comes to "off the beaten track", don't let your guard down. People just assume NZ is as safe as heaven and about 200-300 tourists a year die from misadventure in NZ. A lot of tourists die on hikes not prepared for the elements or slipping and falling. Other adventure sports claim others along with dangerous 2 lane roads out of the 1930's and a fair share have ended up murdered, raped or beaten. The police are relatively ineffective and sparse and emergency medical care is lacking and often far away. If you get in a car accident in a rural area or fall while hiking, you are in deep doo doo.

Nothing to overly fear but be aware of. Seems a lot of people think NZ is "Gods own country" and while beautiful, it can reach out and bite. A lot of tourists get caught up and let their guard down and think walking certain streets at 2 AM is GTG or leaving doors unlocked or walking off in the wilderness is no problem and well, it isn't.
Also guns like ak-47's and m-16's are very easy to get there so just be wary of the locals opening fire with them on the streets there.
Osama Bin Laden bought a house in Devonport in Auckland so just be wary of that to..some of his relatives might still be living there as well.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsa71 View Post
Also guns like ak-47's and m-16's are very easy to get there so just be wary of the locals opening fire with them on the streets there.
Osama Bin Laden bought a house in Devonport in Auckland so just be wary of that to..some of his relatives might still be living there as well.
I thought i saw him in line at the Subway store in davenport.. Now i Know it was him! I left thr Uzzie back in Grey Lynn so i hung out at that park by the waterfront until i saw his convoy leave. I wonder what size sandwich he ordered.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:13 AM

317 posts, read 528,229 times
He got a foot long then he headed to sky city for a game of blackjack.
Left the Uzzie in Grey Lynn? Head over the warehouse in Takapuna and get RPG's at half price
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand