Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 10:21 AM

454 posts, read 1,407,589 times

Advertisements

A 30 year old adventurous couple from the US want to go on a 10 day honeymoon in either austrailia or NZ. 17 hour flight from LA.

any recommendations welcome!

cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 10:36 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
It depends on what you both enjoy doing.

If you like white water rafting, bungyjumping and outdoor adventures then I would recommend the South Island of NZ.

If you enjoy cities then I would say go to Sydney or Melbourne.

For an all-around fun place Sydney is my favourite. You can go to the Zoo, the Aquarium, the Sydney Opera House, the Museum. Great restaurants, easy to get around.

Let us know what type of things you like and you'll get more feedback.

Oh and congratulations on the upcoming nuptials.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:41 AM

454 posts, read 1,407,589 times
thank you very much :-)
and thanks for the response as well.

a bit more information:

we like hiking, biking, love the beach, waterfalls, green mountains, rain forrest, etc.
we are not drinkers, not into the bar scene at all, not too much into clubbing, don't care too much about fine dining (we will usually go to only one fancy restaurant when on vacation)

things we will not do: bungyjumping and skydiving (i've done it but don't think we will again); can do with or without opera. i'm sure it's worth seeing once at least though.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:43 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times
For adventure type things you could visit the Northland part of North Island in NZ (Destination Northland - The official website for Northern New Zealand, Bay of Islands, Tutukaka Coast & Far North NZ - NorthlandNZ.com) and Waitomo (Waitomo New Zealand - Waitomo Caves; Glow Worms; Black Water Rafting & More!) as well as South Island. Auckland is a pretty cool city with lots of fun neighbourhoods and things to see and do (Auckland, New Zealand | The OFFICIAL site).

Old 02-18-2010, 11:07 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleenex View Post

a bit more information:

we like hiking, biking, love the beach, waterfalls, green mountains, rain forrest, etc.
we are not drinkers, not into the bar scene at all, not too much into clubbing, don't care too much about fine dining (we will usually go to only one fancy restaurant when on vacation)

things we will not do: bungyjumping and skydiving (i've done it but don't think we will again); can do with or without opera. i'm sure it's worth seeing once at least though.
I'm a bit biased but from your list it sounds like NZ might be more the place for your honeymoon.

We have many hiking/biking trails in both the North and the South Island. And our beaches are beautiful, whether you go to the black sand surf beaches on the West Coast or the white sandy sheltered beaches on the East Coast.

I would recommend flying into Auckland, hiring a car and doing some sightseeing around the North Island. There is more than enough to do and see that fits your criteria perfectly.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:54 AM

991 posts, read 1,770,089 times
Quote:

a bit more information:

With what you have put up I would recommend the Tropical North of Australia. It will take a connecting flight, either via Brisbane or Guam. These are the activities that you can undertake:

Scuba or Snorkel the Great Barrier Reef
Relax for a few days on a Tropical Island
Hike the Daintree rainforest
Take a hike to Cape Tribulation (4WD)
Take a "Safari" through Kakadu
Enjoy the tranquility of the Australian wilderness

The Daintree has eco-friendly accommodation. There are a number of companies who do trips to Kakadu.

Dining in the Tropical North is a treat - great seafood and fresh fruit.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:37 PM

144 posts, read 390,921 times
As somebody who has spent a little time (6mths) in each I recommend NZ. It's got everything you're looking for and more. It's got the beaches,volcano,glacier,mountains. The people are fantastic. I've been fortunate enough to have travelled around the world for 3 years and NZ is well up in my fav places to revisit. Good luck to you and yours

Old 02-18-2010, 02:33 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Probably one key point to think about might be what time of the year you are going?

July and August is winter there, so not really a problem in tropical Queensland, but for instance most of NZ will be cold, rainy or even snowy with short days, same in southern Australia.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:49 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,984,164 times
Quote:

a bit more information:

Since its only 10 days New Zealand would be great, I never been there yet but its got so much to offer. Besides I hear the people in New Zealand are a bit more friendlier than Australia.

If you choose Australia I really recommend you to pick Queensland or at least spend most of your time while in Australia there, especially north Queensland as its got the great barrier reef, rainforests and tropical islands.

But if you going here during the winter and love sking then I definitly recommend NZ as its ski fields are much better than Australia and its mountains are like the rockies in the USA with its mountains.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:02 AM

84 posts, read 257,185 times
Going by what you've said, NZ would be more up your alley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand