Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 08:26 PM

422 posts, read 816,438 times

Advertisements

Need your help ASAP. We just received an opportunity to take a medical position on the Gold Coast starting in January. We have a great job as a surgeon already in Denver. We don't have any children and both of our parents have a full bill of health. They are offering a sizeable raise an additional leadership responsibility. The challenge: different country, different medical system and a major lifestyle change. We need your comments to be candid and descriptive. Our decision needs to be made by the end of next week.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-08-2013 at 06:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 10:27 PM

102 posts, read 167,014 times
Well, your topic heading mentions 'Brisbane' but your actual post talks about the 'Gold Coast'. They are about an hour's drive apart, so most likely you would live on the Gold Coast. Personally, I don't like the GC; very 'touristy' and a bit sleazy, like Miami I am told and the crime rate there is on the rise. But if you live a little out of the GC, in the hinterland or the southern end and commute, that may work. Brissie' is just like any other big city with good and bad - traffic horrendous but some culture and great dining. But if your move is for a limited time, it may be a good experience for you.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:43 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,683,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 South View Post
Need your help ASAP. We just received an opportunity to take a medical position on the Gold Coast starting in January. We have a great job as a surgeon already in Denver. We don't have any children and both of our parents have a full bill of health. They are offering a sizeable raise an additional leadership responsibility. The challenge: different country, different medical system and a major lifestyle change. We need your comments to be candid and descriptive. Our decision needs to be made by the end of next week.
I would say it depends how badly you want to experience Australia and move down there and adapt to all of the differences.

Half of my family is from Denver and Colorado in general, so I know it well and have spent time in southern Queensland.

Imagine the Gold Coast as kind of Australia's version of a Vegas/Orlando/Miami Beach type of scene, but much smaller. Lots of tourists, especially from Japan and a mix of high rollers flashy types and people that look like they ran out of options in life and ended up working in service jobs on the Gold Coast. If Vegas/Orlando/Miami Beach is your kind of dream paradise, then you will find common ground in the Gold Coast.

Personally if I was to choose between the two, Denver is awesome. I'd only move to the Gold Coast if there was some compelling career reason to do so(motorsports in my case) and I just had to experience living in Australia.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:15 PM

Default Need all the info possible on Brisbane and Gold Coast!

Pending career move from Denver, Colorado. Great job offer that will begin on Jan 1. Would like honest insight on both areas ASAP. Thank you so much.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:48 PM

75 South, you've already posted a thread about that:

//www.city-data.com/forum/austr...-brisbane.html

Old 09-16-2012, 03:24 PM

Wanneroo, we are trying to get some feedback ASAP. Obviously, when ppl offer you a job, they tell you the greatest speech on earth. Research is great. However, ppl on the ground who don't have a personal interest are always good to have in your evaluation process. We've used city data for many years so we know how effective it can be when ppl offer quality, personal insight. We were hoping that we could benefit from local perspectives. Thanks!

Old 09-16-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 South View Post
Wanneroo, we are trying to get some feedback ASAP. Obviously, when ppl offer you a job, they tell you the greatest speech on earth. Research is great. However, ppl on the ground who don't have a personal interest are always good to have in your evaluation process. We've used city data for many years so we know how effective it can be when ppl offer quality, personal insight. We were hoping that we could benefit from local perspectives. Thanks!
Yes, but read the terms of service. You don't need to post multiple threads on the same topic and clutter up the forum. You will also find people can help you more if you ask more specific questions on what you want or what is important to you. No one is going to take the time and write a term paper for you unless you can specify what exactly you want or help you with what you need to know.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:31 AM

5,060 posts, read 7,505,192 times
I do live Brisbane - about 5km south of the CBD, as others have mentioned Brisbane is about a one hour from the Gold Coast.

At the end of the day I really need to know what you want to know? Yes the Gold Coast seems to have become a bit of a hotspot for organised crime in Australia, most of it drug related, but it also has many good clean suburbs with working class folk and rich retirees, there is certainly nothing that might resemble US style ghetto's in the area.

We enjoy our life in Brisbane, we have never had a problem with crime of any sort, have good public transport connections and spend our free time walking, cycling, shopping at farmers markets, exercising or relaxing in the parks sipping coffee at street Cafes etc etc. We do own a car, but sometimes it does not get used for weeks on end, and that is how we like it.

The Gold Coast and outer Brisbane suburbs are far more your typical car dependent urban sprawl.

We might head down to the Gold Coast once or twice a year to enjoy the beach, it is not really our scene however.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 09-17-2012 at 02:02 AM..

Old 09-17-2012, 05:45 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,173,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
We enjoy our life in Brisbane, we have never had a problem with crime of any sort, have good public transport connections and spend our free time walking, cycling, shopping at farmers markets, exercising or relaxing in the parks sipping coffee at street Cafes etc etc. We do own a car, but sometimes it does not get used for weeks on end, and that is how we like it.
Sounds perfect. Where do I sign up?

Old 09-17-2012, 02:25 PM

We've been to Sydney and Melbourne but not Brisbane or the Gld Coast area. Would like to know specifically the following:

QOL
COL
Culture
Cuisine
Transportation
Crime
Climate
Diversity
Any US city comparisons

*We've studied Wikipedia unto we've memorized. Was hoping to get local opinions as we gather as much info as possible. Unfortunately, we won't be able to visit before making the decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I do live Brisbane - about 5km south of the CBD, as others have mentioned Brisbane is about a one hour from the Gold Coast.

At the end of the day I really need to know what you want to know? Yes the Gold Coast seems to have become a bit of a hotspot for organised crime in Australia, most of it drug related, but it also has many good clean suburbs with working class folk and rich retirees, there is certainly nothing that might resemble US style ghetto's in the area.

The Gold Coast and outer Brisbane suburbs are far more your typical car dependent urban sprawl.

We might head down to the Gold Coast once or twice a year to enjoy the beach, it is not really our scene however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand