Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2011, 09:00 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,035,527 times

Advertisements

So i was waiting in the smoking area for my plane in Singapore to go to Tokyo and this guy asks me what time it is, i say the time and ask if he's Australian, he looks very angry at me, walks away and yells "New Zealand guess nobody heard of that country before"...

1 month ago i was sitting in a bar in Tokyo and the same thing happened but this time with a Canadian guy (i thought he was American) but he just said no man i'm from Canada but no problem i get that a lot but after that he was very anti-American and said all they can do is scream U.S.A. and stuff like that.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:25 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,731,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
So i was waiting in the smoking area for my plane in Singapore to go to Tokyo and this guy asks me what time it is, i say the time and ask if he's Australian, he looks very angry at me, walks away and yells "New Zealand guess nobody heard of that country before"...

1 month ago i was sitting in a bar in Tokyo and the same thing happened but this time with a Canadian guy (i thought he was American) but he just said no man i'm from Canada but no problem i get that a lot but after that he was very anti-American and said all they can do is scream U.S.A. and stuff like that.
I can't speak for Kiwis per se, but I would suggest that just like that Canadian fellow who was misinterpreted as being American, most Kiwis don't like being mistaken for an Aussie.
Obviously Aussies can easily pick up on a Kiwi accent, but it may be harder for others.
To me it sounds more South African than Australian.
There are heaps of Kiwis living in Australia, most are fairly quiet and agreeable people, and don't mind a joke about themselves.
If they all hated the place they wouldn't come here.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:29 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,948,037 times
Quote:
Kiwis are better dressed and better spoken than Aussies, so its rare to be mistaken. Was that guy saying a lot of random stuff like "hey digger", "bonza" and "Cracker", oh and "Australia the bloody best country in the world".

If he was well spoken and coherent you can usually assume they are a Kiwi not Australian :P

However that guy sounded like a bit of a nut job.

Generally no Kiwis dont hate Aussies at all, definitely enjoy giving one a hard time every now and again and that very much works in reverse.

Last edited by Battleneter; 06-12-2011 at 06:41 PM..

Old 06-12-2011, 06:57 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
From my experience, there's a friendly rivalry between NZ and Oz, like two brothers teasing and picking on each other but you know there's no deep animosity or hatred. Lots of sheep jokes which must get really tiring for Kiwis but they put up with it and give it back as good as they get with their IQ jokes.

Of course, like some sibling relationships, there will be the exception where there is more negative feelings, for some personal reason.

I don't find the Canadian-American version as friendly, from the Canadians. Some, I found, have a real nasty attitude towards Americans. It always puzzled me but it's there. I don't find that attitude as prevalent coming from Americans towards Canadians. They seem to have a lot of admiration for their northern neighbours.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:19 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,985,065 times
If New Zealanders hate Aussies why the hell do so many of them live in Australia then?

Old 06-12-2011, 10:04 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,160,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
If New Zealanders hate Aussies why the hell do so many of them live in Australia then?
They are colonising West New Zealand

Old 06-12-2011, 11:01 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,502,821 times
Quote:

He's may have being asked the same question hundreds of times, throw in a bit of tiredness and maybe some jet lag and you get the end response.

No real feeling of hatred between the two countries as far as i know.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:50 AM

148 posts, read 323,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
They are colonising West New Zealand
A slow invasion, starting at Bondi and heading slowly Eastwards?

I guess it's because we (Aussies and Kiwis) get annoyed if people can't tell the difference between our accents.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:46 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,261,376 times
I'm a Kiwi and have lived here for almost three years. We have a very healthy friendly sort of rivalry that must never be taken too seriously. I flatted with a range of people in the UK including Aussies and Kiwis. You do get the odd one or two that takes things a bit far (and the media on both sides likes to stoke the fire especially when sporting events or bust airlines are concerned...), but by and large we get on well and are similar in many ways.

I did the OE thing and spent a day at Gallipoli around 10 years ago and definitely felt a strong kinship between the two nations.

These days when I go back to NZ I actually find the Kiwi accent slightly amusing and can see where the whole "fush 'n chups" jibbing stems from!

Old 06-13-2011, 03:45 AM

519 posts, read 1,049,818 times
Quote:
Kiwis are better dressed and better spoken than Aussies
Pfffttt LOL, good one. *slaps knee*

Kiwi's seem to like Australians - at least that was our experience when we went there as a sports team.

*Some of them* *Sometimes* suffer from 'little' syndrome. They come from a tiny place - not even big enough to technically be a continent, not many people from other countries could point it out on a map.

Unknown, tiny, isolated and overshadowed by Australia.

They don't hate Aussies but *some of them* *sometimes* might feel a little overpowered by OZ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.