Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 07:12 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,950,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
But Key hasn't said these things yet. Battleneter echos my thoughts. When you have 40 countries or so already committed, it's a bit different this time.
Moderator cut: -

At the end of the day NZ voters overwhelmingly voted John Key and National back in, no amount of sour grapes is going to change this election result.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 10-03-2014 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: Against TOS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 07:21 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,745,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamuriMaharaj View Post
I'm Confused
You're in the Australia/NZ forum, in a discussion on NZ election results.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:31 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,232,800 times
Default Election upset, National can no longer govern alone

Excellent news, it took forever to count them and we had to wait patiently because there were so many to get through, but us overseas voters did have some influence after all. As I said before a lot of overseas voters ticked Green and Internet Mana boxes, so some of us have got our heads screwed on straight

I changed my mind at the eleventh hour and voted with my conscience (2 ticks Green). Now that all the votes are counted the Green Party has gained another seat, which means National can no longer rule alone. They'll have to depend on either the Act Party, United Future or the Maori Party.

Quote:

The National Party can no longer govern alone as the final election results left them with one fewer seat than on election night.

That seat will instead go to the Green Party, who will increase their total number of seats to 14. List MP Steffan Browning will return to Parliament.
Quote:
The Electoral Commission this afternoon confirmed the final election result after counting 330,985 special votes. The commission confirmed that National's share of the party vote had fallen from 48.06 per cent in the preliminary results to 47.04 in the final count.

This meant National lost one seat compared to election night. In a 121-seat Parliament, it would have 60 seats in total and lose its outright majority.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11337042

Say hello to the start of the end for Dirty Politics. I signed the petition calling for a Royal Commission of Inquiry and fully expect the Greens to ensure it takes place.

Quote:

“A Royal commission of inquiry is the only option for Key, as the other types of inquiries available to him are either established by Cabinet or a Government Minister. This is too close to home.

Only a Royal commission of inquiry is independent from Government, and is the only option for this kind of situation."
https://www.greens.org.nz/news/press...nly-option-key

Stoked!!!

Makes all those pre-emptive victory announcements by National look a bit daft huh? Cue lots of wiping of egg from faces. National are now one egg short of a Pav.

Last edited by Samuel,J; 10-03-2014 at 08:02 PM..

Old 10-03-2014, 08:34 PM

I can't see any fundamental differences from the late results. A vote for UF or ACT is as good as a vote for National. National cultivates these minor players, for just such a contingency. The most likely effect of a slim majority, is that conscience votes will be harder to pick.

Greens are the resident third party, so no surprises there.

Who were the Internet Mana party again?

Old 10-03-2014, 08:38 PM

Why have we started another thread on the NZ election?

Old 10-03-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I can't see any fundamental differences from the late results. A vote for UF or ACT is as good as a vote for National. National cultivates these minor players, for just such a contingency. The most likely effect of a slim majority, is that conscience votes will be harder to pick.

Greens are the resident third party, so no surprises there.

Who were the Internet Mana party again?
Agreed this changes little as National were already throwing some minor parties a bone.

Its still a resounding National victory.

I noticed the 3rd thread on the NZ election got abandoned as it was talking about Internet Mana having influence :P

Old 10-03-2014, 10:15 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,854,150 times
Two Threads Have Been Merged...

Old 10-03-2014, 10:27 PM

Cool! -a super thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
I noticed the 3rd thread on the NZ election got abandoned as it was talking about Internet Mana having influence :P
Yes, some were entranced by the theatre of it all.

Old 10-04-2014, 12:29 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,232,800 times
Yes I think the dynamics of this minority National party led government are going to be very interesting to watch objectively from a distance.

I have a feeling David Seymour is going to be a real asset for education and regulatory reform (especially education). Not bad for a party that only has one MP. But, this is how MMP is supposed to work isn't it? using the best possible people to form a strong, stable government regardless of where they come from.

Final election result
National: 47.04 (60 seats)
Labour: 25.13 (32)
Green: 10.70 (14)
New Zealand First: 8.66 (11)
Maori Party: 1.32 (2)
Act Party: 0.69 (1)
United Future: 0.22 (1)
Conservative: 3.97 (0)
Internet Mana: 1.42 (0)

Last edited by Samuel,J; 10-04-2014 at 12:49 AM..

Old 10-04-2014, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel,J View Post
But, this is how MMP is supposed to work isn't it? using the best possible people to form a strong, stable government regardless of where they come from.
For the record I hate MMP, gives small insane parties to much power, the flip side is can help keep the "big two" more honest. Can you imagine National having to rely on Internet Mana, id rather take my chances with Saddam Hussein!

That said, its better than the system here in Aus, where you have state governments sabotaging Federal governments, one layer of government to many. Mind due it seems to work, Australia is harldy a horrible country either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand