Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 05:21 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,235,837 times

Advertisements

When my SIL told me the result and that she and her family had decided to leave NZ to live in Australia I thought of Maistre's famous quote: toute nation a le gouvernement qu'elle merite.

I'm sad for her that she feels that New Zealand has nothing to offer her family but balanced it with relief that she has somewhere good to go to. I wonder if the people she'll leave behind care much that their country self selects for the type of people that are ok with the behaviours that were exposed in the Dirty Politics book? They're ok with a prime minister that openly lies to them; with a government that tinkers with electoral boundaries (46 were changed) and deliberately contrived to put 1 million people off voting (more than the number of people who voted for the winning National party), not bad in a country of 4.5 million people. New Zealand should have compulsory voting. But, to do so would damage the status quo, that ain't going to happen!

It's a shame that the people who see things for what they are are the ones who pack up and leave.....kiwis and migrants alike (that's us!). But, I wouldn't expect her to stay any more than she expected us to stay. I think she's going to like it here, applying for permanent residency and ultimately citizenship is going to be a long process but she's up for it and willing to have a go

There are Kiwis here that are economic migrants, there are plenty of them who come here for financial rather than ideological reasons and who hate this country and despise its values, despite it giving them the breaks they're denied at home. There are some migrants here who who've been brought up hating this country. For the first time ever I think that they should not have an automatic route from the SCV to permanent residency. There are aspects of the Kiwi culture that are alien to Australia, that aren't a good fit with the morals we have here. I'm not saying Australia is perfect, far from it, there are sectors that are corrupt as hell but at least we acknowledge that and are trying to do something about it (drugs in sport being one example) and it is a true democracy with checks and balances, eg. a Senate. It ain't nowhere near perfect but it could be so much worse. I think that should be protected at all costs, you don't know what you have until you lose it.

Last edited by Samuel,J; 09-24-2014 at 05:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 08:04 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,828,127 times
I can't really agree with much in this post, but at least this time you're just laying it out straight.

Moderator cut: see below

Last edited by Oldhag1; 09-25-2014 at 05:52 AM.. Reason: Discuss the topic not other posters

Old 09-24-2014, 08:33 PM

I have mixed feelings about my SIL, I respect her for sticking to her principles but feel sorry she's having to leave to do it. I love her all the more for having the courage of her convictions and for making the same commitment to Australia we did. Maybe if more people had used their consciences as well as their votes she could've stayed. New Zealand has to do something to stop haemorrhaging its best and brightest people but there is no will for change.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:08 PM

100 posts, read 139,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel,J View Post
Maybe if more people had used their consciences as well as their votes she could've stayed.
I'm not sure what this means. National has been elected 3 times in a row...the majority of New Zealanders are getting what they want.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:42 PM

The last two elections have had record low turnouts, this one was the third worst in 100 years. It's been declining since the introduction of MMP which may mean a lot of people don't understand it or National's long term Dirty Tricks campaign (exposed in Nicky Hager's book of the same name) succeeded in destabilising the opposition and Nat's critics long before the election . Almost as many people didn't show up to vote as the number of people who voted for National. National attracting a third of the vote doesn't mean the majority of New Zealanders are getting what they want, rather they are stuck with what they get.

What is interesting is a lot of overseas voters ticked Green and Internet Mana boxes, so some of us have got our heads screwed on straight

Old 09-25-2014, 04:02 PM

p.s.

Stuff Nation is asking people why they didn't vote. Replies range from someone who said they could only pick one of a dozen bad apples and they'd rather go hungry, to people saying they're disinterested in a system that marginalises them and others who think they have a right to complain about the government if they don't. Why aren't more Kiwis voting? | Stuff.co.nz

Old 09-25-2014, 04:41 PM

100 posts, read 139,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel,J View Post
p.s.

Stuff Nation is asking people why they didn't vote. Replies range from someone who said they could only pick one of a dozen bad apples and they'd rather go hungry, to people saying they're disinterested in a system that marginalises them and others who think they have a right to complain about the government if they don't. Why aren't more Kiwis voting? | Stuff.co.nz
When you're complaining about only 77% of eligible voters voting...well, I don't know where to go with that. Compare that to recent elections in the US or the UK (Scotland vote not withstanding), and NZ claims a pretty decent turnout.

Old 09-25-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72andsunny View Post
When you're complaining about only 77% of eligible voters voting...well, I don't know where to go with that. Compare that to recent elections in the US or the UK (Scotland vote not withstanding), and NZ claims a pretty decent turnout.
I was making an fact based observation. A minority of the electorate voted for National; that doesn't seem very democratic to me. Compared to the turnouts in Australia (mid 90%) I think there's a strong case for introducing compulsory voting in New Zealand. I also think New Zealand should have an upper house of parliament, at the moment it's more like a super council with Key as Lord Mayor.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:53 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,954,747 times
At the end of the day, its probably a really good idea your family leaves New Zealand assuming its all on the level, you will be happy, makes room for the the record numbers wanting to live there, everyone wins!

It's like anywhere, if you you are not happy just leave, it should never be a big drama!

NZ voter turnout is above average for a country where it is not mandatory btw, should it really be mandatory I would say no it should be a democratic right not to imo. Seriously can't expect the NZ public to vote for that wacky Internet Mana party, its like asking Australians to vote Clive Palmer for PM, its never going to happen.

Last edited by Battleneter; 09-25-2014 at 06:07 PM..

Old 09-25-2014, 07:40 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,828,127 times
Internet Mana party was just a slightly amusing sideshow.

Not having to vote, is a freedom and a right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand