Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 12:30 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,741,175 times

Advertisements

I've been checking out real estate prices in San Francisco via a few sites. My question: is Australian real estate really "so incredibly expensive" on a like for like basis. I'm not convinced it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 05:36 PM

125 posts, read 163,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
WHERE in southern new england can you get a 3BR/2BA home for $300,000? I certainly would like to know.

I used to live in Greenwich, Connecticut.. can't get more southern than that.. I once lived in this development:
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...74-56783?row=5
1.4Million for a TOWNHOME (you shared a wall with your neighbor)... you'd be on your back patio and your neighbor would be on theirs pretty much next to you..not exactly cheap... but at least you got 3 BR and 3 BA

I now live in Portsmouth, NH, around 500,000 gets you a crap small house with 2 Bedrooms and one bath:
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...1_M35326-90819
Greenwich is one of the richest towns in the United States.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
I've been checking out real estate prices in San Francisco via a few sites. My question: is Australian real estate really "so incredibly expensive" on a like for like basis. I'm not convinced it is.
San Francisco is probably the most expensive real estate market in the USA. There are surveys that point out expensive markets. Australia is severely overvalued for most of the housing stock.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:56 PM

4,217 posts, read 4,886,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
You're probably right. House prices to income are a measure of affordability but a flawed one. If Australia jacked up property taxes to 5% of the value of property I will guarantee you that house prices will fall substantially. So the ratio will have improved but affordability won't have, the money that would have otherwise flowed to debt servicing instead is used to pay property tax. By the same token, Australian families pay one of the lowest rates of tax anywhere in the world through handbacks (middle class welfare) but these differences in tax rates are omitted because prices to incomes uses pre-tax income. You've also got the effect of generally poor areas will have lower price to income ratios for no other reason than people in those communities have less income after paying for life's necessities like food, clothing, electricity, water, heating etc that can be directed toward housing.

It should also be pointed out that the guys who run Demographia, the guys who compile that affordability survey, are an interest group who want to push their own agenda. So take their "surveys" with a grain of salt.

Last edited by BCC_1; 10-30-2014 at 06:13 PM..

Old 10-30-2014, 07:55 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,607,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyjerz View Post
That's not really true. The urbanization rate for both countries is similar.
Yeah, no. If the US were like Australia most of the states would be empty.

This is an example of how wrong you can be if you just google for a number. These two things are not the same. In fact, they're so different that using the same word (urban) is laughable.

Quote:
The ABS Section of State (SOS) Structure of the ASGS defines Urban and Rural.

SOS aggregates the Urban Centre and Locality (UCL) on the basis of population ranges i.e. all UCLs in a S/T within a particular population range are combined into a single SOS.

There are 4 SOS identifiers and names. These are listed below with definitions.
SOS Identifiers and Names
Identifier Name Definition
0 Major Urban Major Urban represents a combination of all Urban Centres with a population of 100,000 or more
1 Other Urban Other Urban represents a combination of all Urban Centres with a population between 1,000 and 99,999
2 Bounded Locality Bounded Localities represents a combination of all Bounded Localities
3 Rural Balance Rural Balance represents the Remainder of State/Territory
Quote:
Urban areas in the United States are defined by the U.S. Census Bureau as contiguous census block groups with a population density of at least 1,000 /sq mi (390 /km2) with any census block groups around this core having a density of at least 500 /sq mi (190 /km2). Urban areas are delineated without regard to political boundaries. The census has two distinct categories of urban areas. Urbanized Areas have populations of greater than 50,000, while Urban Clusters have populations of less than 50,000 but more than 2,500.

Last edited by WildColonialGirl; 10-30-2014 at 08:05 PM..

Old 10-30-2014, 08:45 PM

Let's see you parlay that into an argument supporting high house prices.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:11 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,465,497 times
This isn't something that's restricted to Australia. High housing costs are a phenomenon in major cities around the world. It creates a considerable barrier of entry of the global 20-early 30 something demographic entering the real estate market.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:19 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,014,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyjerz View Post
Greenwich is one of the richest towns in the United States.
I'm well aware of that.. I lived there.
You missed my point completely. The OP was saying in Southern New England you can get a house with xxx.. xxx for 300,000.. I was asking WHERE... There are many parts of Southern England where this simply not true. The Gold Coast, Boston and suburbs, etc. etc.

I was curious as to where they lived where they could live so cheaply here.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:35 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,097,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
So a couple pulls in $150K/yr...what kind of jobs are these?? Are they miners or mortgage brokers?
2 full-time school teachers about 4 or 5 years after graduating - 26 year old's who went to school, got a uni degree in teaching, then got a job teaching. Just to name 1 potential scenario.

Heck, if they don't have kids and each work a few nights per week for extra income it could easily be $20-$30k more.

Which, when you look at the hours teachers work, isn't that hard to fathom they might take on additional work.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:49 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,947,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
This isn't something that's restricted to Australia. High housing costs are a phenomenon in major cities around the world. It creates a considerable barrier of entry of the global 20-early 30 something demographic entering the real estate market.
Correct, even now in the US after a significant housing crash the more popular major cities rival prices in Australian capitals.

The USA has FAR more population centres and the less popular ones lower that headline average house price for the country. In addition we often see US city METRO area prices compared to say what is "technically" Sydney for example, can be very misleading.

Of course the Aus media don't care about accuracy and like to push the "Prices are increasing, quick buy now!!", anything to put pressure on buyers and appease their clients (banks and real estate).

Seen this garbage in every developed country over the last 15 years+, just not all markets have crashed yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand