Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 04:40 AM

158 posts, read 215,769 times

Advertisements

Just did a trip to the US & the sliced bread was foul! even the kids wouldn't eat it! who wants sugary sweet bread with vegemite?? Bluerg.
I'm sure you can find good 'real' bread if you tried tho. I'd be inclined to make my own if not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 05:05 AM

290 posts, read 259,203 times
I have a sister who went to US Summer Camp once. She just couldn't eat the US bread because of all the sugar.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:57 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneybeach View Post
Just did a trip to the US & the sliced bread was foul! even the kids wouldn't eat it! who wants sugary sweet bread with vegemite?? Bluerg.
I'm sure you can find good 'real' bread if you tried tho. I'd be inclined to make my own if not.
It makes really good bread and butter pudding.

The only thing you need to know to really understand America and bread is that it is sold for full price for two or three or more days after baking, and no one cares. And it's not that there is less difference between fresh and day old bread, there definitely is. People just don't care.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:29 AM

991 posts, read 1,770,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
It makes really good bread and butter pudding.

The only thing you need to know to really understand America and bread is that it is sold for full price for two or three or more days after baking, and no one cares. And it's not that there is less difference between fresh and day old bread, there definitely is. People just don't care.
You could say that about a lot of their attitude to food in general. Their baseline is so low but then you can pay an exorbitant amount for "artisinal" or "organic" produce. I admit that Whole Foods is much better than a Woolies or Coles but then the next step down is so much worse.

Actually I found one the great "breads" for bread and butter pudding (and inexpensive too) is Pannetone.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:31 AM

991 posts, read 1,770,089 times
Quote:
Soft white sandwich bread is just not available.
The only place I have found it, along with soft wholemeal sandwich bread, is at the Asian bakeries.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:01 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,963,094 times
It's very interesting the comments about bread, chocolate, and pastries. As for bread, sometimes, it's largely a matter of geography. Bread in NYC can be awesomely good but in many other cities in the US (San Francisco excepted) it is very hard to get first rate bread. True.

As for pastries, I've always thought that Australian pastries and chocolates tasted inferior but I thought maybe I had just not sampled enough in my many trips to Australia. Interestingly enough I thought that the pastries and chocolate in NZ were first rate, but maybe it was just very subjective on my part.

As far as American food being over processed and bland, well that is an awfully bad overstatement. While it's easy to bash US cuisine there is nothing over processed and bland about BBQ ribs and brisket, New England clam chowder and lobster, West Coast Crab, jambalaya, gulf shrimp, a good hamburger (especially a New Mexican green chile burger) or hot dog, and so many more regional dishes.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:02 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
You could say that about a lot of their attitude to food in general. Their baseline is so low but then you can pay an exorbitant amount for "artisinal" or "organic" produce. I admit that Whole Foods is much better than a Woolies or Coles but then the next step down is so much worse.

Actually I found one the great "breads" for bread and butter pudding (and inexpensive too) is Pannetone.
This is very very true. Ironically it's easier for me to get a pantry full of decent processed food in the US than it is in Australia. But, the average person's pantry in Australia is way better than the average person's in the US.

That's not to say that it has been easy to figure out how and where to get these products in the US, but if you are dedicated it's relatively straightforward. In Australia I'd have to shop at hippy health food stores for a lot of it. Luckily fresh food is way cheaper and way better in Australia so that's what I buy there.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:46 PM

126 posts, read 150,908 times
Quote:
This is very very true. Ironically it's easier for me to get a pantry full of decent processed food in the US than it is in Australia. But, the average person's pantry in Australia is way better than the average person's in the US.

That's not to say that it has been easy to figure out how and where to get these products in the US, but if you are dedicated it's relatively straightforward. In Australia I'd have to shop at hippy health food stores for a lot of it. Luckily fresh food is way cheaper and way better in Australia so that's what I buy there.
i disagree. i dont think fresh food is any better here than in the usa. markets vary region to region, but they are fairly similar. Sydney fish market is as fresh as it gets when it comes to seafood here, but it wouldnt be any different to seattles pike place market for example.

Woolies and coles have nothing on whole foods nor central market in austin tx. To be honest, a good H.E.B in texas will blow away the woolies and coles ive been to here. Plus, you wont have to go to some hippy shop to find certain organic products either. Like i said though, it depends on the H.E.B and where it actually is located.

As far as price...come on.. be real, everything costs more in australia, even when the currency was buying over 1.00 usd a couple of years back. You can compare some items but overall everything here just costs more.

Plus, most US cities have farmers markets as well. Not to mention some slaughterhouses that butcher on site and sells fresh kills (depending on region once again) there isnt any fresher meat than that, even fresher than a butcher buying from the slaughterhouses.

Each region is just different in the USA.. some off the wall town in Kansas isnt getting fresh tuna off the boat just like alice springs isnt.. but they are getting fresh/er beef/chicken etc for sure.

EDIT:
well.. technically whole foods is some hippy shop.. considering it was originally created in austin texas by hippies.

Last edited by bossh0g; 05-29-2015 at 07:34 PM..

Old 05-29-2015, 07:26 PM

126 posts, read 150,908 times
speaking on texas...a neat little off topic stat..there are more people in texas than all of the australian states combined...its roughly 27 mil vs 23 mil.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:43 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,963,094 times
I know that is an amazing statistic. That's one of the reasons myself why I like Australia. It's underpopulated and that's all to the good. God, 27 million crazy Texans. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand