Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 07:24 AM

126 posts, read 150,963 times

Advertisements

Im an American living in Far West Sydney.. Ive been here roughly around 3 years and recently have been craving American foods. Its gotten so bad ive had to eat at hungry jacks and thier whoppers 4-5 times in the last two weeks. Considering i havent eaten at Burger King in the USA probably since 2009-10 once or twice.. my craving is really getting bad.

I tried this awful restaurant called Memphis BBQ pit.. they claim to be american - they arent. The food was american inspired but in no way, shape or form would that menu and food pass as murican in murica. For example they sell chilli cheese fries, which is an American classic. However, it is aussiefied and covered with nacho toppings. In the USA, it is chilli con carne (bean less) and nacho cheese sauce thats its.

I cant even find good tex mex or mexican food. Mad mex is close, but no cigar. I get this is australia and businesses have to cater to the aussie palate. It would just be nice to go a resturant one day and get a familiar taste. Anyone know of any?

Maybe everything is just different. I would settle for a good italian place, but the last Italian restaurant i ate at here wasnt that great either. Overpriced and underwhelming..

The best food i do find is chinese, thai and indian.. Well i like a aussie good roast too, but not as much as the aussie wife.. who could eat it everyday

Its funny how the american chinese resturants differ from the aussie ones.. pros and cons to both.. there are some items here that would be huge in the usa if sold on a mass scale and vice versa.

IDK.. anyway

Edit: I forgot to mention the seafood is good here.. well when we visit the coast that is and get it fresh off the boat.. hands down the best calamari ive ever had.. the prawns (shrimps) are really good too..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 10:16 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,814,451 times
Getting good authentic American food overseas would be very tough. Think about what Mexicans would say about Mexican food being served in the USA. We have Americanized it, made it to fit our taste. Not surprising that Aussies would do the same thing to our food. You would have to find someone who is from the USA operating a restaurant in Australia, that would be your best chance. Sounds like a business opportunity to me.

Kinda curious how Australian food is different from ours, got to be a lot of similarities considering our similar cultures and common British origins.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:21 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,610,245 times
Bosshog, just learn how to cook it yourself, import anything you wouldn't find in oz, like that goop that I'm pretty sure is called nacho cheese (boy did I get a rude shock when I ordered nachos in the US). You'll have to make your own tortillas too, but it's not that hard.

ETA, just looked and the internet is full of recipes for nacho cheese.

Make a pot of chilli con carne, get takeaway chips and combine. (that sounds so disgusting)

A butcher will be able to cut American cuts of meat if you want to make your own ribs.

Danielj, the only American foods which would be marktable in Australia would be barbeque and Texmex. Texmex is very popular, although nowhere near as good as in the US.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:42 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,896,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Kinda curious how Australian food is different from ours, got to be a lot of similarities considering our similar cultures and common British origins.
American food is heavy, overprocessed and bland, imo.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:08 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,121,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossh0g View Post
Im an American living in Far West Sydney.. Ive been here roughly around 3 years and recently have been craving American foods. Its gotten so bad ive had to eat at hungry jacks and thier whoppers 4-5 times in the last two weeks. Considering i havent eaten at Burger King in the USA probably since 2009-10 once or twice.. my craving is really getting bad.

I tried this awful restaurant called Memphis BBQ pit.. they claim to be american - they arent. The food was american inspired but in no way, shape or form would that menu and food pass as murican in murica. For example they sell chilli cheese fries, which is an American classic. However, it is aussiefied and covered with nacho toppings. In the USA, it is chilli con carne (bean less) and nacho cheese sauce thats its.

I cant even find good tex mex or mexican food. Mad mex is close, but no cigar. I get this is australia and businesses have to cater to the aussie palate. It would just be nice to go a resturant one day and get a familiar taste. Anyone know of any?

Maybe everything is just different. I would settle for a good italian place, but the last Italian restaurant i ate at here wasnt that great either. Overpriced and underwhelming..

The best food i do find is chinese, thai and indian.. Well i like a aussie good roast too, but not as much as the aussie wife.. who could eat it everyday

Its funny how the american chinese resturants differ from the aussie ones.. pros and cons to both.. there are some items here that would be huge in the usa if sold on a mass scale and vice versa.

IDK.. anyway

Edit: I forgot to mention the seafood is good here.. well when we visit the coast that is and get it fresh off the boat.. hands down the best calamari ive ever had.. the prawns (shrimps) are really good too..
you're in far western sydney --- plenty of good food out there

this might help: About Jazz City BBQ
Menu - Miss Peaches Soul Food Kitchen – Newtown

mexican? hmm eh Mad mex... lol -- try Mejico in CBD.

for italian you can try Fratelli Fresh, in CBD, or Fratelli Paradiso
Enmore: Osteria di Russo and Russo - Enmore - Restaurants - Time Out Sydney

Berta - in the city, is pretty cool too.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:50 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,265,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
American food is heavy, overprocessed and bland, imo.
American food is so different regionally that I don't see how you can throw a blanket statement like this out there.

Sorry that has been your experience...but it does not represent all American food.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:00 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,265,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossh0g View Post
I cant even find good tex mex or mexican food.
No doubt that you will not find good Tex Mex in any country as well as in any state in the US other than Texas.

Surely you can make some good old fashioned American food?

What specifically are you craving?

Old 05-18-2015, 03:47 AM

4,227 posts, read 4,896,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
American food is so different regionally that I don't see how you can throw a blanket statement like this out there.

Sorry that has been your experience...but it does not represent all American food.
There are regional differences, but that is the overriding theme.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:54 AM

1,475 posts, read 1,347,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post

Me too. I suspect America is like Australia; every night across the country you'll find people sitting down to share a meal of.... barbecue beef, Thai curry, Vietnamese, seafood, Irish stews, grandma's recipe Polish dumplings, a Big Mac, microwave dinners , a tee bone steak and veggies, chicken parmigiana ..........

Beyond damper and Aussie style (real) Pavlova, I'm not sure what "Aussie food" really is.

Perhaps British food was never going to be a really strong common bond. No offence to the Brits, but its not really considered one of the world's great cuisines....

Old 05-18-2015, 04:01 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,412,769 times
what are these "american foods" you speak of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand