Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New Australian Flag?
Keep Flag! - I Like it's meaning 38 42.70%
Change Flag! - It's no longer relevant 41 46.07%
Not Sure! - I Do/Don't want change, But...? 7 7.87%
Other! - This may need some thought? 3 3.37%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 06:01 PM

2,421 posts, read 6,956,682 times

Advertisements

A New Flag for Australia?

Australian flag debate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I realise, That this will more than likely turn into a Pro/Anti Australian Republic debate? However, As a change of flag is always on the mind (And Hearts) of many Australians and maybe On the hearts and minds, Of many other people in the world aswell?

So Is it really time for Australia, To follow Canada's lead and get behind a new flag? That represents the current Australia....Or should the Union flag in the Canton (Upper left hand corner) still be maintained? As a respectful reference to our British colonial history.

All comments are welcome

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 08-30-2008 at 07:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 06:48 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,930,339 times
Well, Aus's history involves more than a bunch of brits taking the land over as a convict colony; the current flag has no relevance to the original inhabitants (who have their own flag, I'm aware of this).
But really, we may as well ask britain to put the southern cross on their flag, if we're keeping their flag on ours.
Just my H.O.
Thanks for bringing this up, Roo!

Old 08-30-2008, 08:55 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,749,873 times
Based on the Canadian debate over a new flag, you can bet the farm any process will long, involved and divisive.

Apparently it's hard to make everyone happy.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:11 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,903,517 times
I'm just posting now roo, so I can find this thread easy enough later, when I have time to properly read the links.

My thoughts are very much devided on this issue.

A few initial thoughts:

I recognize that the Union flag in the corner of ours is both good and bad.

I recognize that the Union flag is not relevant to so many Australians now, however a great many people sacrificed in order for this country to be the great nation it is under that very flag.

I recognize that we perhaps need something more inclusive of ALL of our history.

I am not keen to see a kangaroo a la QANTAS on a new flag. But perhaps something which included the coat of arms maybe?

I would not support the flag becoming green and gold or any other hideous colour variation.

Yeah, that's it for now, but I'll be back.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:58 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
I love the Southern Cross on our flag. I think that should be kept, as it's the best symbol.

Yeah, no roo either. That belongs to Qantas now, like it or not. It's a corporate logo, not a country's. And definitely not that ghastly green and gold combo. Who came up with that wretched combo anyway?

I think the background colour should be the red of our soil, with the Southern Cross bigger and in the forefront. Keep it simple and memorable.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:41 PM

2,255 posts, read 5,398,863 times
Some how I have the feeling that in the not so far off future, all countries will be somehow incorporating the United Nations Flag into all of their flags. That will be an interesting debate, especially in the USA.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:45 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,079,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
There are some nice suggestions for a new Australian flag on that web site, but to me the ones with a kangaroo seem too much like an advertisement for QANTAS. I like any reference to the Southern Cross or southern hemisphere.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:54 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,079,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
Some how I have the feeling that in the not so far off future, all countries will be somehow incorporating the United Nations Flag into all of their flags. That will be an interesting debate, especially in the USA.
Doesn't the Stars and Stripes change quite often actually (historically speaking)? Wonder how it will look with 51 stars (Puerto Rico) or 52 (Guam). Maybe by that time Hawaii will again be its own nation and either California or Texas will have seceded, returning the flag to 50 stars.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:27 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
I have never been a flag person and I tend to associate flags with on the whole jingoistic and negative nationalism rather than quiet pride in ones nation so I am probably the worse person to comment.

I know who I am without a piece of fabric flying to the 4 winds but I realise it is hugely important for some for whom symbols mean a lot. Personally of all those on the website link I would chose the George Margaritis 2000 or the Russel Kennedy 1997 ones because they are instantly recognisable ( one of the main purpose of a flag) , esthetically pleasing ( in my personal opinion), bright, fesh, modern and break with the old idea of Australia as part of the British Empire.

I suspect the vast majority of people around the world have no idea what the Australian flag looks like so something very obviously Australian like a Kangaroo would make the "Australia Brand" stand out a great deal more.

Australia is a modern nation and a highly multicultural one so it is impossible to incorporate all the symbols which would satisfy everyone so to me an ideal solution would be to go for an Aboriginal design .

Aboriginal art is wonderful and as the first people to inhabit the land and because of the shameful treatment inflicted upon them until very recently this would also be a reconciliatory gesture. A chance for them to feel some pride in their own land and new Nation.

No flag will ever please everyone. So to me the you might as well just break away completely with tradition and design something fresh, new and devoid of past colonial symbols.

The pride we feel in our Nation should have nothing to do with a flag so you might as well make the design something beautiful and colourful, joyous and celebratory rather than boring, and encased in dry Nationalistic symbols of yore.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:39 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,956,682 times
I fully advocate a change of flag!

While the current flag has undeniable historical importance (Of which I'm certainly very proud of ) It has become slightly anarchronistic. We're in need of something, That can respectfully carry the same meaning and spirit, But with a new Purpose?

I have no clue, As to what would be an acceptable design?. But, Like others have said, The "Southern Cross" should remain an integral part?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand