Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 05:05 PM

652 posts, read 1,786,061 times

Advertisements

Just wondering how easy or hard it is to get resident status in Australia, how much income one would need to have, any other particulars. I've only ever been to Mexico, once. Loved it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 07:48 PM

718 posts, read 2,361,657 times
There is plenty information on this forum, just do a search and read. But if you get tired of all that, have at this:

Department of Immigration & Citizenship

I can tell you from personal experience, it is not easy and it is not cheap. Have you ever visited the country?

Old 03-21-2009, 09:11 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,484,309 times
Quote:
Originally posted by statefan
There is plenty information on this forum, just do a search and read. But if you get tired of all that, have at this:

Department of Immigration & Citizenship

I can tell you from personal experience, it is not easy and it is not cheap. Have you ever visited the country?
I looked into moving to Australia some time ago and was surprised how hard it is, even with a teaching degree, and especially since Australia has such a huge immigrant population already. I don't blame them. After all, it's their right to welcome or turn away anyone they like, but I was still surprised--and a little disappointed

Old 03-21-2009, 09:31 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,683,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutleynut View Post
Just wondering how easy or hard it is to get resident status in Australia, how much income one would need to have, any other particulars. I've only ever been to Mexico, once. Loved it.
There are an extensive number of visas available. All depends on what your situation is. None are easy or cheap to get. I've researched it over the years and it is something that you have to be very committed to in terms of time and money and effort.

Certainly in terms of migrating there I would visit first to even see if you like it. If you can't afford to visit you certainly wont be able to afford to migrate.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:41 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,024,653 times
You should also read up online theaustralian.com.au.. federal government is removing certain jobs (primarily trades) from the list of critical skills shortages. They are also looking to reduce work visas being issues. This all due to the recession and the need to ensure Aussies have a first go at available jobs.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:18 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,730,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutleynut View Post
I think wanneroo put it best - it takes time and commitment. It's not fast or easy. It takes loads of time, lots of forms to fill out, lots of proof to show, medicals, character checks, money. Not something you want to jump into unless you're positive you're going all the way. It can take up to 2 years and can be quite trying.

As far as how much income you need to have - migrants are not eligible for welfare for 2 years, so take that into account. Probably at least 6 months living costs would be wise, or a year to be safe. There's no defined amount of money. They look at the overall picture - your experience, your skills, how easy/hard it would be for you to find work here.

Just be aware, the employment situation got a lot harder here this year.

Old 03-22-2009, 03:47 PM

Default Checked DIAC

I've read a bit and sent an email asking about length of visitor visa. I figure I'll see it first then if my imagination isn't to far off I'll start procedings.
Thanks all

Old 03-22-2009, 05:44 PM

Visa Options - Tourists - Visitors - Visas & Immigration

visitor visa is 3 months. after you buy your ticket you apply for it electronically. when you get to customs they will have your passport info when you enter Oz

Old 03-22-2009, 06:11 PM

I saw something about a one year visa for Europeans or youths allowing for working six months at any one job while staying. That may be more than just a visitor visa tho. I figure I'll get a replt before bedtime tonight as it's Monday there and about what 4am? I suppose I should check the time difference.
Looks like 11:15am Capitol Territory so it's 18 hours ahead of PST. I hguess that means I'll get it any minute, no wait it just occured I emailed the Embassy in DC so it'll be tomorrow when I hear. Is there a consulate in SF?

Old 03-22-2009, 06:24 PM

There is a working holiday visa.. that website has all the information under the Visitors section.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand