Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 10:57 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,289,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I think the HP numbers for Top Fuel and Funny car are just advertising hype. The numbers seem to go up by 1,000 HP every year.
Now doubt they do make a ton of HP, are fast as hell and will blow out your eardrums in a second.

I don't know maybe somebody has a Dyno to record the real numbers but as you suggested maybe the numbers are based on pass calculations.

Doesn't really matter how much HP they make as long as they are loud and fast.

tHEY REALLY ARE GUESSING AT THE DYNO TYPE HP NUMBERS IN TOP FUEL. tHERE HAS YET TO BE A DYNO MADE THAT CAN RAP THAT QUICK AND MEASURE THE POWER. A Top Fuel engine is the quickest reving internal combustion engine known, and puts out the most power for it's size. The hp numbers you hear on rag race shows are a calculated number based on E.T. and MPH, Including the 60 foot E.T. and speeds. The worst way to see any drag race is in my opinion on tv. The smells, the pounding off your chest of the vibes from the cars, the sounds, (there still is yet to be a mic/speaker that can duplicate or even get close to the real sounds of a race engine) and the seeing in person of the speed from a dead stop is something tv will never be able to give a real impression of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Those numbers are certainly impressive but the NASCAR guys are getting 850+ HP out of 358 CI with 12-1 CR, flat tappet cams and running 99 octane unleaded gas and with one 4 bbl carb.

One more thing they run them for 4 hrs. straight at between 6,000 and 9,500 rpm's.

Now that's really impressive.

Do they really make 850 hp? (I used to work on them, so I know the answer). When heads with intake and carb on flow 430 cfm for a 358" engine, you know the carb is doing alot better than it's supposed rating.

The main reason I posted the numbers on the last engine we dyno'ed was to get a fun thread going about C-D members project engines and what they have done. Afterall, thats why like our car stuff, it's fun!

Old 07-26-2011, 04:43 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
Do they really make 850 hp? (I used to work on them, so I know the answer). When heads with intake and carb on flow 430 cfm for a 358" engine, you know the carb is doing alot better than it's supposed rating.
I agree it's just NASCAR hype, probably closer to 750 than 850 but everybody likes to hear big HP numbers.

Chassis Dyno's have broken more car owners ego's than anything else.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:40 PM

Quote:
I agree it's just NASCAR hype, probably closer to 750 than 850 but everybody likes to hear big HP numbers.

Chassis Dyno's have broken more car owners ego's than anything else.

oUR DYNO IS VERY CONSERVATIVE 0n it's ratings. Last week a guy bought an engine for us to dyno, a 687" engine that had made on another dyno close to 1400 hp n/a. But his car was only running like a 1100 hp engine. on our Dyno it made 1072 hp and 781 lbs of torque. When compared to the car's e.t.'s, our dyno was right under his avg. runs e.t. and mph showing. I'll take an engine dyno showing conservative numbers anyday over hyped dyno numbers. We have a process we go thru on our dyno settings so that a guy can take the engine and put it in the car and run the expected e.t. in 95-100 degree weather. Better for the customer to be a pleasently surprised by performance on the track than see a big dyno number and disappointed when his engine is in a car.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:03 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
oUR DYNO IS VERY CONSERVATIVE 0n it's ratings. Last week a guy bought an engine for us to dyno, a 687" engine that had made on another dyno close to 1400 hp n/a. But his car was only running like a 1100 hp engine. on our Dyno it made 1072 hp and 781 lbs of torque. When compared to the car's e.t.'s, our dyno was right under his avg. runs e.t. and mph showing. I'll take an engine dyno showing conservative numbers anyday over hyped dyno numbers. We have a process we go thru on our dyno settings so that a guy can take the engine and put it in the car and run the expected e.t. in 95-100 degree weather. Better for the customer to be a pleasently surprised by performance on the track than see a big dyno number and disappointed when his engine is in a car.
What kind of dyno/instrumentation are you running?

Old 07-30-2011, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
What kind of dyno/instrumentation are you running?

It's a 2000hp SEA& Land. Actually waiting now on the latest datalogger and software. We decided to make more upgrades to it. We have the complete weather station, all egt readers at every rpm point. We also have the better cooling tower. So far every engine that has went to the track we've tested has ran slightly better than we thought in the car.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:00 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
It's a 2000hp SEA& Land. Actually waiting now on the latest datalogger and software. We decided to make more upgrades to it. We have the complete weather station, all egt readers at every rpm point. We also have the better cooling tower. So far every engine that has went to the track we've tested has ran slightly better than we thought in the car.
I'm unfamiliar with that one. I've had the opportunity to do some work on a pieced together unit using a Stuska brake and DePac instrumentation, have been very impressed with the repeatability, winter/summer, humid/dry etc. the unit corrects to standard conditions and will be within 1/2 of 1% on the same engine, allows you to find significant gains with small changes, i.e > 5HP in valve lash alone on a BB Chevy.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'm unfamiliar with that one. I've had the opportunity to do some work on a pieced together unit using a Stuska brake and DePac instrumentation, have been very impressed with the repeatability, winter/summer, humid/dry etc. the unit corrects to standard conditions and will be within 1/2 of 1% on the same engine, allows you to find significant gains with small changes, i.e > 5HP in valve lash alone on a BB Chevy.

A shop I i worked at before had a Stuska unit, very nice and extremely repeatible. It was 1 reason I went looking for a dyno.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:41 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,265,288 times
Quote:
I think it attracts a younger crowd these days. I went to a local strip this spring and I definitely was in the minority, age wise.

I think Drag racing shows much better in person, you just don't get the sound and smells of Drag racing on TV.
I hardly see young folks there at the national events

Old 08-02-2011, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
I hardly see young folks there at the national events

They are at the nopi events to the point of overloading the stands. It's the wrong wheel drive cars they use everyday that they relate to. But these same younger folks do respect the big nhra and ihra, and they do love drag racing. Ever go to a midnight madness drag race? the place was packed and you would be lucky to get 2 passes in from the shur number of younger generation and their cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing