Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 07:53 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,559,235 times

Advertisements

As much as a fan I'm not of JJ it is hard to deny that a record tying championship and possibly # 8 is out of the realm of possibility. If he keeps up his number of wins per season he can unseat Gordon from the third all time spot though I don't see anyone this day and age unseating Pearson & Petty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 10:18 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,823,501 times
Default Dumb question

I am sure this is a dumb question. This is the first year, I followed the sport. I saw all the races except one because I was at a wedding, I set my DVR but something went wrong and it did not record. I really enjoyed following the races this year. So here is my question. Please don't flame me.

Why do so many fans hate Jimmie Johnson? He seems like a nice, humble guy. Is it because he won so many times in a row so people hate him, like I hate Tom Brady and the New England Patriots?

He is from this area so no Jimmie Johnson haters around here but when I get on Facebook or NASCAR boards it seems like most fans hate JJ and all of them love Jr., Jeff Gordon, and the others but so many hate Jimmie Johnson. All I read is that they hate JJ but they say WHY they hate JJ. So that is my question...WHY all the hate?

Old 11-18-2013, 04:18 AM

2,036 posts, read 1,601,687 times
JJ is disliked by many due to it being primarily jealous envy. Not many people have dominated a sport at such a high level and length of time as this guy has. It is difficult to win one championship in this sport, stringing together five championships in a row is a monumental achievement. Now he has a sixth title - clearly one the greatest stock car racing drivers ever.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:00 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,117 times
I think the dislike for JJ stems from his success. Just like any sport, when one team or player dominates then a large faction of fans are not going to like him. I can tolerate Jimmy these days because my son is a fan of his...

Old 11-18-2013, 06:26 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,382,343 times
I think JJ is the most talented driver in NASCAR unfortunately he is driving for a team and crew chief that has been caught cheating more than any other team.
That team is also owned by a convicted briber, Rick Hendrick so I have no respect for the entire Hendrick organization.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:55 AM

3,867 posts, read 4,077,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I think JJ is the most talented driver in NASCAR unfortunately he is driving for a team and crew chief that has been caught cheating more than any other team.
That team is also owned by a convicted briber, Rick Hendrick so I have no respect for the entire Hendrick organization.
What he said. ^^^^ Except the part about JJ being the most talented...........believe Shrub is that.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:05 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,824,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyinca View Post
I am sure this is a dumb question. This is the first year, I followed the sport. I saw all the races except one because I was at a wedding, I set my DVR but something went wrong and it did not record. I really enjoyed following the races this year. So here is my question. Please don't flame me.

Why do so many fans hate Jimmie Johnson? He seems like a nice, humble guy. Is it because he won so many times in a row so people hate him, like I hate Tom Brady and the New England Patriots?

He is from this area so no Jimmie Johnson haters around here but when I get on Facebook or NASCAR boards it seems like most fans hate JJ and all of them love Jr., Jeff Gordon, and the others but so many hate Jimmie Johnson. All I read is that they hate JJ but they say WHY they hate JJ. So that is my question...WHY all the hate?
nascar is one of those sports where the fan is fiercely loyal to "their"driver and team, and even the sponsors, and as such when another driver wins, the rest of the fans are not happy, and they try to find reasons to dislike the other drivers. and it doesnt matter if there is reality behind their dislike or not.

but look at the long list of drivers that were successful in nascar, and yet are disliked by the fans:

jeff gordon
dale earnhardt sr
cale yarborough
dale jarrett
darryl waltrip
kyle busch
tony stewart

these are just a few of the drivers that have been disliked by the fans over the years, and i am sure that others will add to the list. in the end however, very few of the drivers that have been in the sport are really disliked by the fans, its just that the fans are equally as competitive as the drivers and the teams, and as i said before fiercely loyal. for instance note that when some of the drivers on my list were active, they were disliked by a lot of fans, but today, they are some of the most beloved and respected drivers. time heals all wounds.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:36 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,809,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
well considering he has only 66 wins, very few records, but 5 championships, i say when he gets a few more records, 135 more wins and two more championships, then we can call him the greatest ever stock car driver, until then richard petty is still the kind and dale earnhardt sr is still the crowned prince.
Certainly JJ is the best driver of the modern era. It's hard to compare what he is doing now, when competition is so tight compared to the King or even Dale Sr. I remember watching some old video of Petty sometimes lapping the entire field in a race. Petty also raced two or three times a week to get those 200 wins.

I admire JJ and Knaus for what they have done. JJ is a super nice guy and deserves to be called the best. I do hope that next year someone else wins to keep NASCAR interesting.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:09 AM

1,336 posts, read 1,823,501 times
Thank you for your replies. I do appreciate it. Very interesting. I will do some research on the cheating history. I can see if one driver wins over and over it could affect the sport being interesting.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:41 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Certainly JJ is the best driver of the modern era. It's hard to compare what he is doing now, when competition is so tight compared to the King or even Dale Sr. I remember watching some old video of Petty sometimes lapping the entire field in a race. Petty also raced two or three times a week to get those 200 wins.

I admire JJ and Knaus for what they have done. JJ is a super nice guy and deserves to be called the best. I do hope that next year someone else wins to keep NASCAR interesting.
Jimmie is only 10 wins out from Dale Sr. on the wins list, judging by his average of 5 wins in the last few years, he would likely do it by 2016, if not in that year.

Petty also said that Jimmie could be on track not just for the 8 cup titles to beat the record, he could go up to 10. That's only four away with several years on his career left as he is only in his thirties.

The one notable thing from the race is not what happened with the title win but something I have never seen whether it was as a casual fan until 2007 or as a full-time fan since 2008.

2013 PAUL MENARD PIT ROW FIRE & TIRE EXPLOSION AT FORD ECOBOOST 400 IN HOMESTEAD - FIRST 4 MANY - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing