Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Car?
Ford Fiesta 12 37.50%
Honda Fit 11 34.38%
Hyundai Elantra Touring 4 12.50%
Kia Rio5 0 0%
Scion xB 4 12.50%
Toyota Matrix 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 12:17 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times

Advertisements

Saw the Elantra Touring at the dealership. It looks great in person. Much better than the standard Elantra. It is getting redesigned soon. No word on if they're going to bring in a wagon version.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 10:47 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,138,812 times
You forgot the GTI

Old 06-14-2010, 12:00 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,380,579 times
Lovin' the Fiesta.

Not sure if the Elantra and Matrix are really in the same category as the others. Those two are larger cars and would be better compared to the Mazda3 hatchback and similar cars.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:06 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,082,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post

I would say the F150 is one of fords most reliable vehicles a base 2WD stadard tranny V6 no power anything truck will last forever on basic maintenance and proper tune-ups.

also so you think N/A outmakers should close all american auto manufactoring plants and lay off all of it's UAW workers to outsource to other countries?

yeah that would be great for the economy to unemploy 500,000 auto workers with families to support.. great idea

also those $30 an hour and up union wages help keep other people in business because they can afford to get renovations done on their homes buy new cars they also get extended medical and dental and can afford to send their kids to better schools and college to get an better education and if they plan right it afford them the opportunity to retire someday and live a comfortable middle class life.
I don't care one bit about the nationality of the person pushing the buttons that make my car. I care only about the car and how good it is in relation to how much I'm spending on it. Where the factory workers are located will not sway my purchase decision while the quality of the product will.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:49 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,138,812 times
Caliber, Cooper, Prius too

Old 06-15-2010, 07:46 AM

968 posts, read 2,624,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
You forgot the GTI
the new gti is awesome, i wanna put those gti rims on my a3, but i'm afraid i'd get called out on it.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:

yeah that would be great for the economy to unemploy 500,000 auto workers with families to support.. great idea

also those $30 an hour and up union wages help keep other people in business because they can afford to get renovations done on their homes buy new cars they also get extended medical and dental and can afford to send their kids to better schools and college to get an better education and if they plan right it afford them the opportunity to retire someday and live a comfortable middle class life.
Raising prices on basic cars puts those cars out of the price range of basic people. To support house rennovations and an entire economy stemming from that it absolutely insane.

its unsustainable any way you look at it. the car prices go up to pay union wages, the cars become too high priced, they don't sell, and then the union workers lose their jobs anyways. thats why detroit crashed in the first place.

pay a competitive wage, put the money into the quality of the cars, and the more cars you sell, pay it out in bonuses to the workers because they are the ones making these cars reliable.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:11 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
Raising prices on basic cars puts those cars out of the price range of basic people. To support house rennovations and an entire economy stemming from that it absolutely insane.

its unsustainable any way you look at it. the car prices go up to pay union wages, the cars become too high priced, they don't sell, and then the union workers lose their jobs anyways. thats why detroit crashed in the first place.

pay a competitive wage, put the money into the quality of the cars, and the more cars you sell, pay it out in bonuses to the workers because they are the ones making these cars reliable.
detroit fell for 3 reasons
1. they were put of touch with buyers they were pumping out hummers and massive SUVs when the gas crisis hit in the mid 00's and they did not invest in small fuel efficent cars so they had no product that appealed to younger more frugal buyers.

2. The UAW had the jobs bank which killed the big three buy paying people to sit at home at nearly full union wage with benifits till some work came along. also the CEO's were making crazy 6-7 figures and flying around in company jets wining and dining while the bean counters ran the comapany.

3. cerbus bought chrysler from diamler-benz and they had no clue how to run a car company and diamler already ran it into the ground and cerbus thought buy throwing money at the problem it would go away but they kept building massive hemi powered cars and stupid crossovers that lost money like the jeep compass and patriot. GM had jack wagnor who ran GM into the ground by not cutting the fat money losing brands like saturn, hummer,oldsmobile and the cross sharing of platforms across the board also killed them.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:37 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Chrysler and GM were killed or nearly so by very poor management even though they had good workers doing a tough job. So they lay off the workers and keep the failed managers. Who says we don't have a two class society?

The irony is that foreign manufacturers build decent cars using American labor because it is cheaper than home country workers. The Americans build really good cars because the companies are very well managed by people that actually manage instead of wasting time trying to make secret deals on a golf course in Michigan with other derelict executives.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
detroit fell for 3 reasons
1. they were put of touch with buyers ...

2. The UAW had the jobs bank which killed the big three ...

3. cerbus bought chrysler from diamler-benz and they had no clue how to run a car company ...
we agree on the overall point, bad management on the corp and the unions part, i just blame unions because most of the time they destroy companies by requiring more than the economy can handle and they don't really care, most of the time.

teachers unions in new york are an example.

i just wish they were more for building a sustainable economy than making profits here and now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive