Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 06:45 PM

24,474 posts, read 26,008,272 times

Advertisements

While I don't disagree with the cord type vacuums, I; will toss this unto the mix. It seems to work quite well if you let the the battery run when new, down then re-charge it. It also has many other use's.

Black & Decker® FHV1200 Flex Vac Cordless Ultra-Compact Vacuum Cleaner - Bed Bath & Beyond
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 11:46 AM

141 posts, read 589,445 times
Help!
bought a micro-fiber towel for cars. just used it this am on my son's semi-new car. it scratched it! Its the back side of the car after the wheel and not too big of area, so in the trash it went. trash came this morning or I could tell you the brand.
Looking up best micro-towel on google, found Zaino was semi-recommended. Opinions?
I am going to go and buy this stuff online and just wait until it arrives.
I think Meguiar's has online store. Can't find any here, so didn't buy anything but the towels.
If anyone would have some spare time and write me a list of exactly what to buy, I will put the order in tonight. My son is none too happy with me right now, and I am not very happy with myself eithers. I was able to clean up an area where he smashed into one of our other vehicles. Used rubbing compound on it, no scratches with those towels, but they are just for that. But, I have no wax, so I need to get it on it, too. It can sit in the garage until I do.

By the way, I've been on city-data for a whiles now, but I am glad I found this forum for cars. Everyone has helped me a lot and I thank you.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:59 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,175,341 times
Wait, what exactly did you use the microfiber towel for? I'm confused.

Microfiber can and will trap just about everything. It's a blessing and a curse. If you drop it on the ground and it gets dirty and/or you wash it with other dirty things, it can embed the dirt in the fibers and do some damage to delicate surfaces. But that ability to pick up anything is why it does such a good job given the correct application.

Put it simply, I wouldn't use microfiber on a painted surface or anything shiny. I know they sell microfiber mits and polishing pads, but given the risk of getting dirt in it and doing some real damage, I would advise against them. But, if you're using it to clean plastic or leather bits on the interior, it's great! Sorry if I/we put you under the impression to use microfiber for the exterior.

Mike

PS - If he smashed into one of your other cars and all you did was lightly scratch his, I'd say you're even, lol!

Old 06-30-2010, 12:48 PM

hi,
yep micro fiber on the exterior...oops now I am confused. Guess I should leave cars to guys.

yep, backed out of garage and misjudged the distance to my other sons vehicle. Still working on that other vehicle when he is home so both him and I can work on it. did more damage to his brand new car we just bought him.

Agreed, but, I still feel bad. All the men in this family believe I should not work on the vehicles, but I LOVE cars. I use to watch Night Rider, just for Kit!!! Didn't give a crap about the guy. Same with dukes of hazard. James bond movies, too, just to see the cars. Besides, none of them will even hand-wash a car!!!! Let alone clean the junk out of the inside. I'm the car buyer in the family, I buy what I like. Even for the kids. They have to agree, but I get final say. Even my husband buys and drives what I pick out. But, I scratched it!

Old 06-30-2010, 01:50 PM

I'm posting in response to my last post. No way did anyone here suggest I use the microfiger on the exterior, I did that myself. I am not sure how I got mixed up, probably has something to do with all my kids being home na...
So old cloth diapers good on exterior?
sorry.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:57 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,175,341 times
Depends on what you're doing, but diaper cloth works just fine. I usually wash with either a cheap sponge (new) or some old raggedy towels that I've cut down. For polishing, I use the little polishing pads that you usually buy in a 2 or 3-pack, followed by diaper clothes or flannel cloths to polish. Somewhat counter-intuitively, you don't want fabrics that can hold stuff when you clean or polish finished surfaces for the reasons I gave in my last post.

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive