Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 06:47 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,238,155 times

Advertisements

I was reading somewhere (car and driver,road and track,etc) that manual transmissions are on their way out. It was more of an opinion peice than concrete evidence, but still interesting. I like the idea of stick, but automatic trannys are getting so good isn't it inpractical to go manual?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 06:52 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
I was reading somewhere (car and driver,road and track,etc) that manual transmissions are on their way out. It was more of an opinion peice than concrete evidence, but still interesting. I like the idea of stick, but automatic trannys are getting so good isn't it inpractical to go manual?
Impractical? How so? Definetly not impractical for an enthusiast that wants the control, feel, and sound of bangin through the gears. Mind you I'm not talking about your average piece of crap import, I'm talking good old American muscle, and even new stuff like the Mustang GT's.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:03 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,238,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Impractical? How so? Definetly not impractical for an enthusiast that wants the control, feel, and sound of bangin through the gears. Mind you I'm not talking about your average piece of crap import, I'm talking good old American muscle, and even new stuff like the Mustang GT's.
I should have elaborated. Sure, a automatic Corvette seems pointless.

I'm talking about why have a manual civic when a automatic gives you the same thing, mpg difference is so small now.

In old american muscle, manual transmission is a must, I was just saying going forward, for your every day commuter car, automatic will be 99%.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:21 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
Quote:

I'm talking about why have a manual civic when a automatic gives you the same thing, mpg difference is so small now.

In old american muscle, manual transmission is a must, I was just saying going forward, for your every day commuter car, automatic will be 99%.
Agreed, my ex wife had a Sentra with a manual, I can think of nothing that was less exhilarating than running that thing through the gears. Only advantage was the cost vs. an auto. My current car (07 Charger) is an auto as that's all you can get and it's the car I wanted, at least it's an auto stick so I can play a little. It will likely be replaced within a year with a 2011 Mustang GT, and it WILL be a manual.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:17 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,175,341 times
Quote:
I think I read the same article as you, but wasn't speaking about how traditional manual trannies are being placed by dual-clutch style (clutchless) trannies?

In any event, I drive an econobox with a manual tranny. For my vehicle, the manual was still the more economical option both for price and for mileage, let alone tranmission maintenance and potential for breakage. But that's not why I bought it. The car is boring enough as it is; the manual just gives me a bit more fun, a bit more to do. It's more engaging and adds a bit to the driving experience.

Mike

Old 07-15-2010, 04:00 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,805 times
The only excuse for driving the auto is you are too stupid to drive the manual. Only in america are people so stupid that they have to drive the automatic.

The reasons for manual are compelling.
  • increased miles per gallon
  • simpler to maintain and fix
  • manual lasts longer due to simpler design
  • more fun to drive
  • safer to drive manual due to increased control

Old 07-15-2010, 04:28 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,346,537 times
Quote:

Because a Manual provides better control over the vehicle, especially in dangerous or potentially dangerous situations.

Because at times, it can be more engaging and more fun, making that commuter drive a little less boring (Yes Fleet, that's a personal opinion, I know I know, you like your auto), and the times you just want to slide through the gears, it's so second nature that you don't think about it, and it's no inconvenience.

Although I'd probably accept having a dual clutch box (good quality), I generally hate the way autos change gears, apart from some very premium cars by a selected few companies, so to me, driving an Auto (especially in cheap cars with cheap automatics) is far far worse of an inconvenience than a manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
I think I read the same article as you, but wasn't speaking about how traditional manual trannies are being placed by dual-clutch style (clutchless) trannies?

In any event, I drive an econobox with a manual tranny. For my vehicle, the manual was still the more economical option both for price and for mileage, let alone tranmission maintenance and potential for breakage. But that's not why I bought it. The car is boring enough as it is; the manual just gives me a bit more fun, a bit more to do. It's more engaging and adds a bit to the driving experience.

Mike
x2

Old 07-15-2010, 05:08 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
Quote:
I've actually owned 4 Civics, all with manual transmissions, and they were all great fun to drive. If they had had automatic transmissions, they would have all been miserably boring to drive (I used to work at a Honda dealer, so I've driven several automatic Civics as well). A manual can make all the difference in the world. For me, clicking a paddle or pushing a button on the steering wheel can never replace the feeling of manually moving a lever and feeling that solid, mechanical change. I don't know why it's so much more enjoyable, but it is. Now when I drive a car with an automatic, it's mind-numbing to me. I'd rather be a passenger than driver if the car's not a manual.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:31 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
The only excuse for driving the auto is you are too stupid to drive the manual. Only in america are people so stupid that they have to drive the automatic.
really? and how about people who have issues that prevent them from using a clutch? are they too stupid to drive a stick shift? or how about those who are driving big cars in heavy city traffic? i would be willing to bet that i have far more driving experience than you do, and i would also be willing to bet that if i had a car with an automatic, and you had an identical car but with a manual trans, i could still out drive you.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:34 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,294,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post

The reasons for manual are compelling.
  • increased miles per gallon
  • simpler to maintain and fix
  • manual lasts longer due to simpler design
  • more fun to drive
  • safer to drive manual due to increased control
Here's the deal, manaul transmission fanatics seem to HAVE to be insulting assclowns about uatomatic drivers as being lazy or stupid. So it's only fair I return the favor... Even though I love a good manual transmission and have owned many, I almost don't want to have a manual transmission just so I don't have to be associated with closed minded, insulting people like you.

I've driven automatics on the track and in all sorts of inclement weather and have never been in any less control of my car than when I've been in manual trans cars. I've owned automatic equipped cars that have had over 300k miles on their original transmissions, so they don't necessarily last less miles (and I've seen a number of manual trans with bad synchros by 100-150k miles). I've got 18ok miles on my original automatic trans in my BMW.

Some manual transmission cars are more fun than their automatic equipped counterparts, but driving a manual trans economy car is still vastly less fun that an automatic equipped sports car. And I can guarantee you that a manual transmission equipped Accord is less fun to drive than my automatic equipped 740iL.

The very first transmission of any sort I rembuilt was a Ford C6 behind the 429 in my Torino GT when I was 17. Actually quite easy to fix and modify (custom valve body, performance bands and clutch packs, different torque converter...) The second trans I had to rebuild was a Fiat 5 speed manual that had a lot of little weak parts tr try and line up inside (I was replacing synchros, as they were notorious for going bad by 60k miles and popping out of gear. Very similar to newer Honda and Acura manual transmissions).

Fun is relative. A car that pulls high G forces (cornering, accelleration, braking) can be fun no matter what transmission it has, and a sluggish, slow car wont' be fun no matter what transmission it has. my 1.2 lateral G, nearly 400 hp V8 RX7 autocrosser was massive fun to drive on the track and street with it's modded AOD autobox. The PT Cruiser I owned would not have been fun in any shape or form with an automatic (which is one reason I bought it with a manual. But I'd only have a manual trans behind a small engine car). But I've had huge amounts of fun on those fast indoor karts and they have no real transmission whatsoever.

And if you're doing something repeatedly that you don't even notice doing, then it neither detracts from nor adds to the commute. I've done both manual and automatic cars on the same commute back to back, and there was no way that moving my left leg once every 5 minutes added to the fun in any measurable way. Seriously, if moving your left leg every so often is what constitutes fun driving for you, then put a clutch pedal on your easy chair at home and push it in and out to your heart's content. You will have all the fun of driving with none of the fuel and insurance costs. For me, I need acceleration and cornering forces. Basically the automotive equivalent of the roller coasters I rode this weekend at Cedar Point... Pushing a clutch pedal no longer is the deciding factor in fun. I got over the "look at me, I shifted. Oh, look. I did it again" phase many, many years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive