Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 05:01 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times

Advertisements

When I purchased a Silverado back in 2004, they offed some sort of super Simonize wax coating for $500....I accepted, and whatever it was they used was absolutely fantastic. The truck was always parked under a Maple tree, and I'd find sap all over that truck....one day looked like an entire Syrup bottle was poured on the truck.....quick rinse, and it was gone....truck always had that smooth just waxed feeling....don't know what Simonize product, but it was great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 03:32 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,061,574 times
I see this long running thread (since 2010!) is still up and running so I'll add my 2 cents and long winded response.....recently bought a new car.....got the Glass Coat is better than sliced bread speech & video and that it was normally a $525 charge but RIGHT NOW they had a special for $399 for exterior & interior treatment and warranty.

I said no (but spent some time researching it on my cellphone during some downtime)......realized from what I saw posted some web boards that what you are really paying for is the warranty which is now lifetime for the original owner. So...in a way, you are taking out a type of lifetime insurance for the protection of your veh. finish & interior.

People saying you're getting ripped off on the price are correct IF you're talking about the actual price of it since a bottle of is like $30 on Ebay....BUT!....Simoniz will only give/honor the warranty if it is applied by the dealership. So....a very minor part of it is the actual cost of fluid/labor to apply but the major enticement is getting the lifetime warranty coverage (esp. if you plan on keeping the car) since you can't get it any other way.

So...I got around to changing my thinking (partly due to the fact that we keep our vehicles for 10+ years and partly due to Stockholm Syndrome from being at dealer for a while (very busy/end of month sales)) and figured I try to bargain them down. Of course they said they couldn't go any lower, yada, yada so I stayed firm that it wasn't worth $400.

By the time I got to the finance/paperwork stage the finance guy asked me what price I would be comfortable at and I said $250.....he said he couldn't go that low but he'd go $350.....I said $300 and he came back with the "bottom line" of $325.00 (I was also probably fortunate that he had people waiting behind me so he was just trying to get something agreed to quick) - I had read somewhere that the dealer cost kicked back to Simoniz (for their cut, supplies & handling the warranty) was $250 - 300 per vehicle so, thinking I wasn't being raked over the coals too bad, I bit the bullet and said ok.

Not gonna lie.....I had second thoughts after I got home (Simoniz remorse?) thinking I got scammed and was stupid to let them get me to bite but after further research and balancing that I'm getting lifetime insurance for covered problems with my finish/interior for as long as I own it I wound up being ok with it.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:13 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,758,897 times
I swear by Rejex, a sealer that can only be found online. It's used on private airplanes. Nothing sticks to it. It lasts about a year on my dark blue truck that is always outside. It lasts about a year on my parent's dark red Jeep in Florida, which is garaged. You can use it on the windshield, and it doesn't make the wipers jump like Rainex.

Old 08-01-2015, 01:35 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,061,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
I swear by Rejex, a sealer that can only be found online. It's used on private airplanes. Nothing sticks to it. It lasts about a year on my dark blue truck that is always outside. It lasts about a year on my parent's dark red Jeep in Florida, which is garaged. You can use it on the windshield, and it doesn't make the wipers jump like Rainex.

Thanks for the info about Rejex...never heard of it but the reviews are awesome.....also available through Amazon which is great. I will try it on my other vehicles.

Just a point though....using Rejex sounds like it will yield fantastic results but there is no dealer/manufacturer lifetime guarantee to go along with it like Glass Coat so it is not really a comparison to the Glass Coat process & warranty being reviewed here.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:56 PM

4,542 posts, read 3,741,311 times
Relative bought a new Honda recently and they declined the $650 Simoniz Glasscoating on the car. They made him watch a Modern Marvels episode (History channel) that had a special on glass coating and protective coatings. It looked legit.

So let me get this straight, this Simoniz coating seems legit, but is probably worth more like $400-500?

How well does it protect the interior? I'm assuming pretty well, since the warranty also covers interior stains like chewing gum, make-up, crayons, food eyes, ALL consumable products, blood, pet urine, waste, vomit.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:18 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times
When I bought a Silverado 2500HD in 2004, they offered a Simonize Coating for the exterior for $500.....I gave them the green light. I park my truck under a Maple tree, and one morning it looked like someone poured syrup all over the hood, and down the fender......it just rinsed right off, and every time I washed the truck, the paint felt smooth as if it was just waxed.....worth $500 to me

Old 09-28-2015, 03:39 PM

430 posts, read 639,384 times
What exactly is Simoniz and how does it work?

Old 09-28-2015, 07:16 PM

4,542 posts, read 3,741,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejackalope View Post
What exactly is Simoniz and how does it work?

This is what they made us watch at the dealership after family had agreed to buy the car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji1GG4O9l1U

Also, the brochure lists all the warranty information - 7 year warranty for any exterior damage (tree sap, acid rain, tar, road rocks, etc) and interior damage as well (all food, coffee, gum, blood, pet waste, etc).

Old 10-07-2015, 07:25 AM

2 posts, read 12,708 times
Default Wash, Clay, Cleaner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom4416 View Post
At one time I had as many as seventeen show cars that I maintained myself. Over the years I've tried all the "high end" products - Zaino, Klasse, Duragloss, Sovereign (sic?) and can assure you they do nothing that a $10 bottle of Megs or Turtle Wax will do. It all comes down to surface preparation, already referenced earlier in this thread:
Wash==>clay==>cleaner==>polish==>wax

Once you've prepped the surface, apply whatever wax you like and reapply every 3-4 months and you won't have to prep again for a long time and the car will look like new for many, many years. Most of those high end products sell to a cult like following and more power to them. Corvette owners love Zaino because the owner drives a Corvette.

The most recent Consumer Reports ratings of waxes put NXT 2.0 at the top, pick it up at Wally World for $12 a bottle, do your can about ten times with the one bottle. $1.20 or $800, the choice is up to the consumer.

For clarity, you mentioned "cleaner" following "clay"...is this a specific product you had in mind? I have a bottle of McGuire's Liquid Rubbing Compound and a bottle of their Polish too.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:35 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
For me it's about durability. Sure some people like to apply wax every 3 months or so. Not for me. My CarPro CQuartz application from last summer is still going strong. So well that I usually don't even have to wipe dry. It beads well enough that I can just use a leaf blower to blow off the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive