Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 08:09 AM

1 posts, read 5,085 times

Advertisements

I bought the dealership glass coat, I originally was not going for it but was given it to me for only $2:00 a month on a 39 month lease. This is our fifth lease and we may buy this one out because the residual is very low. The product has a guarantee that may or may not be worth it's salt, but for the money I took the bait. The product that I've used on my harley is turtle wax ICE in liquid form and it does a great job, and last seemingly forever, I would only recommend using it on a paint finish that is in "like new" condition, as it has no cleaning element to it at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 10:58 PM

22,658 posts, read 24,585,979 times
HUM, 800 dollar wax-job........that sounds insane!

Old 12-06-2015, 11:39 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,820,135 times
All this talk on expensive dealer detailing, when it would be cheaper, and probably better lasting, just to get what you need and do the work yourself. canister of carnuba wax(which at least last six months), and some syntowax(simonize, etc.), or "sealer."

Old 12-07-2015, 07:42 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,732,306 times
Or hire an independent professional auto detailer to perform a full thorough detail and seal it off with lifetime coating (Opticoat Pro or CQuartz Finest)

Old 02-13-2016, 08:11 PM

1 posts, read 4,807 times
how can i remove simoniz glass coat

Old 02-13-2016, 08:20 PM

19,505 posts, read 9,532,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
This is what they made us watch at the dealership after family had agreed to buy the car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji1GG4O9l1U

Also, the brochure lists all the warranty information - 7 year warranty for any exterior damage (tree sap, acid rain, tar, road rocks, etc) and interior damage as well (all food, coffee, gum, blood, pet waste, etc).
Don't get it for inside. We had a car like that. Felt like I was sliding off seat while driving (SOSWD).

Old 04-03-2016, 12:11 AM

1 posts, read 4,615 times
You have to love these guys.

"I'm a professional detailer...'on the side.' "

"The products that we sell are the bomb, but the products that the dealerships sell are snake oil." I am particularly fond of the guy who said "keep bird droppings off of your car." I guess all you have to do is be sure to get the memo to the birds. The fact is, even if you garage your car, it is likely outside all day if you work. It is likely outside when you go to the grocery store, or the doctors office, or the movie theater. If you find a way to follow the advice I am reading here, and control the way they landscape every property you park on to make sure there are no sap emitting trees, and get the birds to agree to poop on everyone else's car but not yours...then please let us all know how you did it! Otherwise, I suggest that you have some sort of protectant on your car.

Here is my advice: Before taking advice from these people, ask them what warranty they provide with their "superior service." The answer will be "none...none whatsoever." And the fact is, the warranty alone makes the polymer or nano product sold at the dealership worth more than what these guys are selling you on this page.

Look, just like a barber would be against anything that stopped your hair from growing, of COURSE car detailers are against anything that causes you to stop handing them $150.00 to $250.00 every six months. LOL, and then they tell you that the dealership's advice is to the business' advantage...while their advice is somehow charitable. Yes, there are a bunch of angels on this page, who have no self interest included in their advice whatsoever.

Give me a break.

The fact is, no protectant is 100% perfect. But the dealership is dropping a 7 year warranty in your lap, making it so you do not have to CARE if it works or not. 95% of the time, the polymers DO work, but in the 5% of cases where they fail...we are going to repaint your car, reupholster your car, recarpet your car...or whatever it takes to put your car back in perfect condition. These "detailers" are not going to do ANY of that!

Now, let's do the math. We'll lowball, and assume that your detailer only charges $150.00 for every service. You go twice a year. Over the next 7 years, that is $2,100.00. The interior and exterior protection AND warranty that I sell...costs $795.00.

And yet, here they are...explaining to you how it is ME who rips you off. It's math, not magic...and the MATH shows that these guys are taking you for a fool.

Use common logic, and follow the money. Just do that, and it is easy to see why you should ignore most of what you have read above.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:22 AM

902 posts, read 1,104,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I cancelled the appointment for tomorrow. Something doesn't seem right with it. Free or not. It's like I don't want their snake oil on my new car.

BTW, what do you all recommend for a wax?
i would not have canceled, it's a free spray wax ($20 at most carwashes)

when i worked at a dealership, we had "bump stickers" listing all the things we added over the MSRP sticker

one item we always added was zactec ($399) life time wax, good forever....LOL

every car was washed just prior to delivery while the buyer was in the F&I office doing paperwork

some buyers would refuse to pay for it, they got it anyway

you see... when we ran the cars through the mechanical car wash machine the wax was automatically applied, we did this after cars came back for oil changes and service too (our cost was less than $1.00 per car)

every car on the lot got rewashed (w/wax) every month or so to keep em looking good

Old 04-11-2016, 11:28 AM

902 posts, read 1,104,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calalf View Post
how can i remove simoniz glass coat
wash the car

Old 08-05-2016, 05:15 PM

6 posts, read 9,218 times
Reviving an old thread. I bought the Simonized treatment for my new 2016 Civic Coupe through the dealer. It may work, it may not. But I only got it for the lifetime warranty on the paint and interior. I plan on keeping my car for a long time, so the warranty alone was worth it for me. I had my previous car for 16 years. Also, it makes washing it a breeze. Stays clean looking longer, because stuff doesn't stick the paint. It acts pretty much like Rain-X. All these people saying stay away must not plan on keeping their car that long. If that's the case, then yeah, it's a waste. Otherwise, like I said, worth it just for the warranty alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive