Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 09:09 AM

699 posts, read 2,894,533 times

Advertisements

Should I expect optimal service when I take my car to the dealer for an oil change? I had a coupon for $40. which included, oil change, multi-point inspection and tire rotation. When I got home I found that my washer fluid was only half full, the sticker said next change due was 3000/ 3 months when book says 7500 miles and the service reminder reminder display was not reset. HMMMM I wonder what actually was done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 09:13 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
What make?

Old 10-16-2009, 09:18 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,867,663 times
You should not only expect it, you should recieve it. Take it back and show them everything you posted here.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:25 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,184,209 times
(IMHO) Dealers who sell new cars are great if you have a repair covered under warranty.

For normal maintenance, they will bleed you dry.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:20 AM

699 posts, read 2,894,533 times
Would I be better off going to Jiffy lube , a tire center or Walmart for such services. I know they would top off all fluids at least.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:07 AM

563 posts, read 929,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by from PA View Post
Would I be better off going to Jiffy lube , a tire center or Walmart for such services. I know they would top off all fluids at least.
Probably. To be honest, I am more impressed with Walmart service than my dealer's service. I noticed the same issue with my local Ford/ Kia dealer failing to check fluids. Too many slackers, and if you don't speak up, it'll probably happen again. Talk to the service advisor or service manger.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:29 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderingWanderer View Post
Talk to the service advisor or service manger.

Talk to them about what? There is no where near enough info in the first post to warrant this.

I’m a big fan of dealer service, especially because they track service records, keeping everything in once place and use factory parts. Having a car dealer serviced increases value when selling used (weather or not its founded…).

As for them lowering the service interval – this is just something they do to make money. Some dealers recommend a more frequent service interval due to local driving conditions (here in LA, my local dealer recommends 5k service, when the manufacturer states 10k).

As for Jiffy Lube …. You guys have never seen the reports on those places? They frequently do things like not replace oil filters …. Swap air filter when it doesn’t need it, etc.

Before you storm back in, make sure that “topping off washer fluid” was part of the $40 deal.

As for not resetting the service interval timer …. That *is* something they should have done.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:44 AM

563 posts, read 929,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Talk to them about what? There is no where near enough info in the first post to warrant this.

I’m a big fan of dealer service, especially because they track service records, keeping everything in once place and use factory parts. Having a car dealer serviced increases value when selling used (weather or not its founded…).

As for them lowering the service interval – this is just something they do to make money. Some dealers recommend a more frequent service interval due to local driving conditions (here in LA, my local dealer recommends 5k service, when the manufacturer states 10k).

As for Jiffy Lube …. You guys have never seen the reports on those places? They frequently do things like not replace oil filters …. Swap air filter when it doesn’t need it, etc.

Before you storm back in, make sure that “topping off washer fluid” was part of the $40 deal.

As for not resetting the service interval timer …. That *is* something they should have done.
No one advised her to storm in. It's just simple advice - "if you have a question, ask the people that provide that service." The job of the service advisor is to answer these type of questions. They are the public face of the service department. And a good advisor could point out (as you rightly made a good example of) that in such-n-such area, we recommend a more frequent interval of oil change. It's just simple customer service. It's not unreasonable or demanding.
It would have taken the advisor only a couple minutes to explain, but imagine the difference in the OP's perspective of the service. She would not have left with questions about service quality, but instead, the dealer would have gained a prospective loyal customer. And possible future buyer from ther car lot.

I have heard many bad stories about Jiffy Lube, you're right.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:05 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
I think that most likely its a employeee problem really. But I do not exapxct a dealer who has much more overhead to actually compete with joie blow small overhead garage down the street.I would Mention it to the service manager. but as dealers compete in this economy we are likely looking at lower standard workers being paid less in such things as oil changes and less people which will effect the qaulity of service, Often service comes down to employees really.Because the wipre fl;uid I would assume that the other4 things were not done correectly but would check. More like to happen at a independent garage in my experience.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:34 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Do it yourself, or find a good independent shop, there are no other good answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive