Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2012, 12:18 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,133,835 times

Advertisements

People who drive with their fog lights on when it is not foggy. People at red lights that leave huge gaps between them and another car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 01:05 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,873,875 times
Just had another thing happen a couple of hours ago.

The weather went from rain to sleet to a heavy snow with high wind all within about a half hour. It's unreal how many drivers were on the road without their headlights on. I reckon they could see OK and just assumed they could be seen.

Even worse, a lot of the vehicles that did have their lights on had their brights on.

Makes you wonder where people's minds are.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:22 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,171,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
People at red lights that leave huge gaps between them and another car.
You should stop at a distance that you can still see where the rear wheels of the vehicle in front of you.

Why?
I thought you would never ask.

1.This will give you room to just turn your wheels and drive around them if they should fail to move.

2. Why stop so close you draw in the exhaust from the car in front of you?

Or do you mean the ones that stop way short, then creep up 2-3 times before the light changes?

Old 01-12-2012, 01:27 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
I do a LOT of long distance, superhighway driving. My objective is to 'make time', which is generally accomplished by driving very smoothly over long distances. (yes, i will be the first to admit that when i can, i am well over the speed limit--but i am respectful of others on the road).

My pet peeve is the tools that dart in and out of lanes.....racing ahead of me in my lane, only to slam on their brakes, and then darting in to the right lane, racing ahead, and the darting back into my lane again....once again slamming on their brakes, which causes the whole line of cars to lurch on their brakes, then resumining the pace while the darter weaves in and out of traffic, oblivious to the chaos which they are causing.

Invariably, as soon as the congestion clears out, the darter can't keep up with the higher paced traffic, but has already wreaked havoc on the overall flow of vehicles.

What are they thinking? That they are the only ones who ever dreamed up passing on the right, or on the shoulder?

For those of you who drive like this, and think you are really the Mario Andretti's of the highway, you're not. You are just a jerk who interupts the overall flow of traffic and annoys the hell out of those of us who have long distance destinations and need to make time while you are pretending to be some sort of highway kamakaze.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post

...Or do you mean the ones that stop way short, then creep up 2-3 times before the light changes?
LOL ^^That one started out this whole thread.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:44 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
That's exactly what I do. If I can get over, I do and let them pass me. But if we're on a crowded road and I can't go any faster than the car in front of me, and they still tailgate, I just slow down until they back off. It usually works and keeps me from being so stressed.
I (and probably many others) call that a "brake check" - and yes, it usually gets the point across rather well.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I (and probably many others) call that a "brake check" - and yes, it usually gets the point across rather well.
Brake checking is either a quick tap or an all out slam on the brakes.

Just slowing down involves neither.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:24 PM

105 posts, read 515,045 times
Quote:
Just wondering what a rear fog light is for? Do they use it to drive backwards? LOL Honestly I have never seen one before.
"Rear fog lights are useful in low visibility weather conditions such as dense fog, heavy rain, heavy snow, or smoke. Rear fog lights are a bright glowing orange color to allow cars behind you to see you with sufficient time to avoid a rear end collision. They should not be used in good weather conditions. Rear fog lights are standard on BMWs sold in Germany. Rear fog lights are legal in the US and some other European manufacturers equip US vehicles with them."

BMW Rear Fog Lights

My Mercedes has it but you need to turn the dial all the way to the right and pull out the dial twice. I don't think many Japanese (I think the 370Z might have it) or American cars have it.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:30 PM

16,671 posts, read 17,435,450 times
Rear fog lights are obligatory on any car here and have been for many years.

They are intended for use, as the previous poster said, in poor visibility and there have been occasions where I have been very grateful for them on my car and also on the cars of other road users.

Sadly they are widely misused and people keep them on where there is no need and can make things worse for following vehicles.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:55 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
The things that you learn on this forum. I had no idea. LOL Good to know though about the rear fog lights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive