Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 03:29 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times

Advertisements

Okay, I just had my '87 Trans Am repainted and I'm just not crazy about the way it looks. It doesn't have orange peel, but it has a wavy look to it, mostly on the sides. I sent it back to the guy that painted it and he said that he wetsanded and buffed it, but I still see the waves . I saw the car in prep and everything look right, the primer looked smooth, the emblems, moldings, mirrors, and rubbers were removed, etc... Should this be wetsanded even more?

Also, he said that he did use three coats of clear. Maybe it's too thick?
Attached Thumbnails
Any paint experts here?-wavy-paint.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 03:32 PM

To be more clear (pardon the pun), you can see the reflection of my Chevy Venture in the door. The distortion of the image is what I'm talking about. Both sides are like this.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:33 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,466,893 times
Yea, it looks pretty bad. Sorry.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Yea, it looks pretty bad. Sorry.
Kinda figured that part out myself . Any idea why?

Old 12-01-2010, 03:47 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,868,677 times
Lots of info here
Help With Troubleshooting Paint Problems | Street Rodder Magazine Article at Automotive.com (http://streetrodder.automotive.com/97425/0901sr-help-with-troubleshooting-paint-problems/index.html - broken link)

You might find an answer

Old 12-01-2010, 03:52 PM

Its always in the prep. Somebody got tired of working with the green stuff. It can be a daunting task on an older car. There was a guy I met at a car show in Mobile or around there I think it was like Cockrel Custom or similar. It has to be looked at in person and anyone who paints cars can tell you. I used to paint a lot of stuff but you can't really tell anything from the photos. I just bought a car from pictures and when I got it home it was all swirley. It buffed out OK but i would have made the seller do it if I had seen it in the photos.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:53 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,218,162 times
Why not give it a go yourself? There are several wet-sanding demonstrations on youtube, its a fairly straight forward procedure if you are patient. It could be a problem coating or it could be a prep problem. How much glass did they slober on?

Old 12-01-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Why not give it a go yourself? There are several wet-sanding demonstrations on youtube, its a fairly straight forward procedure if you are patient. It could be a problem coating or it could be a prep problem. How much glass did they slober on?
Lex, there are a few things that one should pay others to do. One is sealing the driveway. Another is dry walling your ceilings. But the thing that always comes to mind for me is body work on a good car. Not to be a wet blanket, but getting a smooth door on a 20 year old car is something that we should be darn glad that a guy only making $18/hour is doing. If life was fair he should be making $80/hour.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:22 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,218,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Lex, there are a few things that one should pay others to do. One is sealing the driveway. Another is dry walling your ceilings. But the thing that always comes to mind for me is body work on a good car. Not to be a wet blanket, but getting a smooth door on a 20 year old car is something that we should be darn glad that a guy only making $18/hour is doing. If life was fair he should be making $80/hour.
I agree with you but I am not suggesting that he redo anything. If the prep work was done poorly then those waves are not coming out however if it is a coating issue there is the possibility of improving the topography. Wet sanding is an end of process procedure and it can be done in the driveway at home followed by a good buff.

Don't be afraid, research.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
I agree with you but I am not suggesting that he redo anything. If the prep work was done poorly then those waves are not coming out however if it is a coating issue there is the possibility of improving the topography. Wet sanding is an end of process procedure and it can be done in the driveway at home followed by a good buff.

Don't be afraid, research.
You're right it is good to learn this stuff. And, its a very satisfying feeling to solve a problem like this yourself. Maybe he should give it a shot. It supposedly has three coats of clearcloat which is probably PPG, a two part urethane coating.

OP: Find out what that clear coat is and go to the PPG or other manufacturers web site and read the tech instructions carefully before you do anything involving sanding.

You didn't disagree with the drywall ceiling thing though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive