Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 07:07 AM

248 posts, read 798,299 times

Advertisements

are VW's really that horrible regarding reliability? i have heard rumors but my research is uncovering a mixed bag in that department.

share your experiences/information - good and bad please!

(did anyone else hear that for the first time ever, VW sales exceeded Ford's? another nasty rumor??)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 07:12 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,333,578 times
Honestly? I believe ANY car regardless of the make is reliable as long as you do the maintenance and do not abuse it.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:29 AM

699 posts, read 2,895,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowbaby View Post
are VW's really that horrible regarding reliability? i have heard rumors but my research is uncovering a mixed bag in that department.

share your experiences/information - good and bad please!

(did anyone else hear that for the first time ever, VW sales exceeded Ford's? another nasty rumor??)
I had a new Audi A4 in 2000. Audi and VW are similar. As soon as the warranty was up I traded it in on an Acura. I loved the car and it was fun to drive, but the shop had it more than I did. I went the entire last summer without air conditioning. The dealer said they couldn't find the problem. I finally drove it in one day when it was 100 degrees, kept it running and insisted that a technician look at it. They finally found the problem. Another occurrence was the check engine light. I took it several times and each time the light would come on just after I left the dealership parking lot. I don't know if it was the car or the technicians but I would say the Audi was my most unreliable car ever.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:41 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,702,144 times
Audi from about 95-2004 had poor reliability. VW from about 98-2004 had poor reliability. The company seemed to cheap out on part quality and a lot of new electronic systems were buggy. Since about 2004, reliability has been on the upswing.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:49 AM

699 posts, read 2,895,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Audi from about 95-2004 had poor reliability. VW from about 98-2004 had poor reliability. The company seemed to cheap out on part quality and a lot of new electronic systems were buggy. Since about 2004, reliability has been on the upswing.
What took them so long? My problem was the fact that the dealership didn't seem to care. So it was ok for me to not have air conditioning for an entire summer. Oh yes and my AM radio didn't work from the get go. Their comment was, why do you need AM when you have a Bose....

Old 09-10-2008, 09:57 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Put it this way... I was at a local McDonalds with my son the other day when a couple came through the Hobby Lobby parking lot, test-driving a Jetta. The thing died on them and would not start again. They had to have the salesman come pick them up and drive them back to the dealer in a loaner car. We passed by the lot about an hour later and the Jetta was on a flatbed, headed back to Fox Valley VW.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:32 AM

248 posts, read 798,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Put it this way... I was at a local McDonalds with my son the other day when a couple came through the Hobby Lobby parking lot, test-driving a Jetta. The thing died on them and would not start again. They had to have the salesman come pick them up and drive them back to the dealer in a loaner car. We passed by the lot about an hour later and the Jetta was on a flatbed, headed back to Fox Valley VW.
O.M.G.

how embarressing for that salesman!!! somehow i dont think the couple ended up buying a VW....

Old 09-10-2008, 10:33 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,951,486 times
VW does not rate high in reliabilty. I think that many of their vehicles are attractive in many ways but after a very bad experience with VW in the past I do not include them on my list of cars to purchase.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:59 PM

630 posts, read 1,294,521 times
heres my only experience regarding vdubs. My friend bought a 2002 1.8t and one evening he was driving home and hit a bump in a newly developed construction zone and his ECU had a malfunction, forgot what it was but he took it to the dealer and it costed him around a couple k to get it replaced. That to me is extremely fragile in my opinion, although it probably wouldn't sway me from getting a vw if i wanted one, but they don't appeal to me anyway.

It is kind of hard to remember the exact mechanical problem as it happened 2 years ago but it went something like that.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:16 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowbaby View Post
O.M.G.

how embarressing for that salesman!!! somehow i dont think the couple ended up buying a VW....
If I was in their shoes I would have laughed all the way back to the dealer, then driven off with my finger in the air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive