Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 11:17 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,865,201 times

Advertisements

2004-2006 Pontiac GTO with manual transmission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 11:53 AM

11,156 posts, read 29,381,011 times
might want to check out a used well looked after 08 and up late model viper

YouTube - 2008 Dodge Viper SRT10 - Road & Track

Old 05-13-2011, 11:57 AM

3,071 posts, read 9,155,327 times
Get you a stang dog....

Old 05-13-2011, 01:26 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,371,794 times
Like many have mentioned, SpeedyAZ, bying cars, especially pleasure cars is a very individual thing, that said, I think I have a slight idea of what type of vehicles you like, through your posting on this website, if I'm wrong, forgive me.

You strike me as a person who will try anything and is open to any brand, as long as they fit your criteria, but you also seem to favor domestic brands if it's a coin toss between that and an imported one, because of that I would start off suggesting the new Mustang GT 5.0L, you know as well as I that the car has been praised not only by American press, but internationally, as the car that defies ancient technology and somewhat puts the US back on the map as a sports car producer (even CAR, the British magazine gave the BOSS 302 a 4,5 out of 5 stars rating, which is quite impressive).

I'm not sure how you'd feel about "stepping down" from a Vette to a 'Stang, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to try one out, one can always spec it up to the standard one wants, and with a $50k budget, you can do a while lot of "speccing"!

The second suggestion would be a rather obvious one: A newer 'Vette. You're obviously happy with the one you have, so a new one should only make you happier.

From here on out, I might shoot wildly off target, but I figured I'd suggest some of my favorites (based on reputation, long term tests in magazines and my own personal taste, not on driving experience, I'm 25 and I don't make a ton of money )

BMW Z4, the newest one combines sleek, delicate styling, with mild retro hints in the cabin and a subtle, yet sporty ride. The introduction of a metal folding roof, though inhibiting driving characteristics a little bit fully makes up for itself on a rainy day, as well as times when you park in "seedy" locations. It might not be what you would traditionally look at, and it might prove a little to small for you (based on the 'Vette you have now), but it might be worth checking out. As with any BMW, if you find a CPO one with the ext. maintenance package, it's a safe and reliable purchase, with very little opportunity for surprise bills.

BMW M3/5 I figured this speaks for itself. The credentials of these cars has been proven throughout generations and continue to be "The Best Driving Machine"

Nissan 370Z, doesn't have the sound of the 'Vette but from what I hear, it drive quite well, and it certainly looks better than it's predecessor.

Looked at what Mercedes has to offer? Their V8 models certainly has the right sound pegged down pretty good.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:43 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,161,270 times
Considering that you're already in a good place I'd agree with the other recommendations here:

Viper
CTS-V
Evora
Z06 Vette
Any M car (M5's and M6's aren't too common)
The latest C63 is a beast as well, maybe a better option than the M3 and CTS-V.

The new Mustang is great but considering what you have now I wouldn't see the point.

Although a bit out there, if you wanted something truly different you could go for an older F car. The F-355 and Ferrari 456 can be had within that price range.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:15 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,726,012 times
This is why I love this forum, I can pose a question in the morning and get over a dozen responses within a few hours! Keep them coming!

An F-355 for around $50K? I think the cheapest I've seen those in good condition are around $70K-$80K still. Besdies, I'd LOVE a Ferrari but couldn't afford the upkeep and regular maintenance.

A new Mustang BOSS 302 or Shelby GT500 would be interesting but I keep thinking "it won't beat my 'Vette!".

I've been thinking about just stepping up to a Z06 'Vette but I guess the purpose of getting rid of my vehicle is because I want to try something different, something I haven't had.

Mercedes AMG or a BMW M don't really trip my trigger, I'm not into the big euro-car scene. Before I purchased either of these, I'd likely get a CTS-V.

I think all of you sort of understand where I'm coming from and I love all the suggestions! I don't have a ton of money to spend, I want something with performance and style but yet isn't common.

I like my 'Vette, I think it's a great vehicle and part of me still wants to keep it. I want to get rid of it, I don't want to get rid of it. I really DON'T want to step down and I do feel as if a Mustang or a Camaro is stepping down yet they both seem to be great vehicles in their own right.

Has anyone had the opportunity to drive a new 'Stang, Challenger, or Camaro? Input?

Should I wait until the Corvette redesign in 2012/2013?

Old 05-13-2011, 02:15 PM

572 posts, read 1,613,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Lately I've been mulling around trading my 2005 Corvette 'Vert off for something new, I'm completely undecided on what exactly that is though! Sports car enthusiasts, CHIME IN!

I love my 'Vette, don't get me wrong. I bought it used and it's valued within $5K-$7K of what I paid for it many years back. Whatever I buy, it'll also likely be used. I'm not sure if I want to go with something loud and attention getting such as a 2010-2011 YELLOW Camaro SS with black racing stripes or more subdued and luxurious as in 2009 Cadillac CTS-V. I'm all over the board right now with ideas but I want to spend UNDER $50K and I'm debating whether or not I want a performance sedan, coupe, or convertible. Decisions, decisions...

Input? Ideas? Anyone want to buy an '05 Vette?
Keep the Vette or upgrade to a Z06. Cadillacs are for old people and the new Camaro is over priced, over weight and will drop in value like a lead balloon.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:32 PM

Here are a few F-355's in the $50k range: Ferrari 355 for Sale - duPontREGISTRY.com

I even saw a 1995 for $40k although with 38k miles (for sale in Oregon).

Here are some 456's in the $50k's as well: Ferrari 456 for Sale - duPontREGISTRY.com
There's a 456 for sale in California for $56k: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/2374073502.html (broken link)

They definitely aren't cars for anyone looking for a low maintenance car but if finances permit they make great weekend cars (or every other weekend cars lol).

Old 05-13-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
Keep the Vette or upgrade to a Z06. Cadillacs are for old people and the new Camaro is over priced, over weight and will drop in value like a lead balloon.
I think any old person who sits in a CTS-V will immediately complain about how harshly it rides.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:49 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,634,174 times
how about a used Cayman S? If you're addicted to torque it's probably not a good choice but if you like the engagement & tossibility of a track car it really can't be beat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive