Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 08:30 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,166,280 times

Advertisements

That's what I paid this morning...funny to be so happy about paying that "little" for gas when not too long ago it was such a shock to see it at $1.80 a gallon. Barely cost $30 to fill my Cherokee this morning, yippee.

Yes, I know - much of the world pays way more than us for fuel; I have family in Europe and last time I was in the UK it was about $7.00 a gallon. Mind you, people don't drive as much there, public transportation tends to be better and most cars are really fuel-efficient.
How much is gas in your neck of the woods these days?

I'm off to fill the tank in my truck now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2006, 10:07 AM

313 posts, read 834,227 times
We are at $2.85 a gallon. Much better than the $3.15 that we were stuck at for so long. Still hoping it goes down a lot more. It hurts to put $100 in the gas tank and have it not even be full yet!

Old 09-05-2006, 10:48 AM

622 posts, read 2,710,108 times
It does hurt to pay all that $$$ for gas, but I hope it keeps going up!

This is sparking a look into alternative fuel sources. I think the world needs to change. We are destroying the environment. I could go on and on, but I'll spare you my ramblings

I hope it goes up to $20/gallon! It will suck, but it will force me to make a change, and it will force the auto industry to make a change.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:00 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,242,333 times
$2.38 this morning. With all of the driving that I do, this is awesome!

Old 09-05-2006, 12:15 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,672,947 times
Default Gas Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariatherese View Post
It does hurt to pay all that $$$ for gas, but I hope it keeps going up!

This is sparking a look into alternative fuel sources. I think the world needs to change. We are destroying the environment. I could go on and on, but I'll spare you my ramblings

I hope it goes up to $20/gallon! It will suck, but it will force me to make a change, and it will force the auto industry to make a change.
Up to $20 a gallon??? There wouldn't be many industries left. Don't forget the other costs of consumer goods. You would be surprised how much petroleum is infused into other products. And how about transportation costs? Raising the prices TOO much will just help the rich and destroy the poor...along with most of the middle class. I am all for alternative fuel sources, but not overnight.

Old 09-05-2006, 12:20 PM

2 posts, read 5,115 times
I paid $2.55 the other day at BP in Wixom, MI. I was upset when I went to the new Sam's Club in Wixom and it was only $2.49. Oh well, I'll remain optimistic that it will remain in the $2.49 range or less just as I need to fuel up again. I have a Mountaineer and it's a thirsty lil booger. :-(

Old 09-05-2006, 12:24 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,166,280 times
(I forgot to say, I'm in SE MI.)
Steelman, I agree - and $20/gallon would be unsustainable for most of the world. Empires would crash and Upscale Suburban Mom might have to stop driving her H2 to the grocery store.

Not only trucking and commercial transportation - not everyone can get away with little hybrid cars. I'm a painting contractor, can't get a 32' extension ladder on top of a Prius!
While lots of people don't find that an extra .50/gallon makes a significant dent in their budget, many poor people do - I'm talking working poor, who can't afford more than an $800 big old gas-guzzler. Already gas has doubled in price in the last few years. Home heating costs have risen quite a lot to, as well as some consumer goods - and we all know how high housing is in most of the country.
Wages haven't risen to match the higher cost of living for many people.

IsOH4me - I passed three Admiral stations today, each one had gas for $2.41. Few SUVs are fuel efficient, mind you, but you already knew that.

Old 09-05-2006, 12:26 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,358,419 times
This morning, gas was $2.65 at BJ's in Delaware.

Old 09-05-2006, 12:28 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,837,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Up to $20 a gallon??? There wouldn't be many industries left. Don't forget the other costs of consumer goods. You would be surprised how much petroleum is infused into other products. And how about transportation costs? Raising the prices TOO much will just help the rich and destroy the poor...along with most of the middle class. I am all for alternative fuel sources, but not overnight.
So true. Oil is used for many more things than just our gasoline.

Old 09-05-2006, 04:07 PM

622 posts, read 2,710,108 times
I was just being facetious about the whole $20 thing.

I just mean that I think it is a catalyst for change (no, not overnight change, that would cause havoc).

Wouldn't it be nice if, over time, other industries that now depend on oil started to depend on alternative fuel sources? Shipping, military, you name it...

Actually, I do not know where I stand exactly. Seems like there is a debate over ethanol- whether or not it produces jobs, boosts the economy... guess I have some research to do.

All I know is, somethings got to change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive