Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: K&N Air Filters: Over-rated or Worth the Money
Overhyped & Overpriced 17 51.52%
Worth the Money 16 48.48%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 12:56 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I've used them and love them. They work particularly well in cars with smaller engines because the added airflow can give it a slight (but noticeable) boost in horsepower. Put one in my 2001 Rav4 and my hubby's '06 Civic with good results. I don't necessarily buy them for the longevity, but that is an added bonus. Also, you can get them online significantly cheaper than the auto parts stores.
How did you measure this boost in horsepower? The proverbial "butt dyno?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 01:14 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,175,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
To whiteboyslo got any info from a test to show your position?

I did or is your saying so make it so?
Yeah. 3 years experience as an engineer for an aerospace filter manufacturer, actually. Sorry I don't have a website to quote with 'highly' scientific tests run with $30 of Home Depot stuff and a Miata to quote.

To be fair, I was their Manufacturing Engineer, not the Design. But if you work in a place long enough that's that small and have a natural curiousity towards anything automotive-related (as I do), you pick up A LOT. Suffice it to say, after you see the real deal when it comes to filtration design and testing, you come to realize most advertisements and online 'anlayses' you find are utter nonsense.

I'm not saying Bob's test isn't enlightening, but there's a million holes to poke in his methodology and his analysis. And just having a website doesn't make one an authority on anything.

And again, I'm not saying the K&N is just as good if not better when it comes to filtration. That all depends on the media they chose. I'm just saying the idea that a filter cannot both flow well and filter well is nonsense.

Mike

Last edited by whiteboyslo; 09-08-2011 at 01:26 PM..

Old 09-08-2011, 01:33 PM

859 posts, read 2,829,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post

Not much of any internal mods need to be done to a diesel to run 30psi of boost, most have a inter-cooler, that I don't want to be covered with oil. A fuel rail shim will take care for that for now
Ahhhh.. You're a diesel guy.. Now I understand where the big boost numbers are coming from. I though we were talking gas engines... The whole Turbo sizing and filter sizing deal goes right out the window as the turbos, piping and filters on those things are more than adequate to flow the air required for 1000+ hp. Just add fuel and turn up the boost. Nice to finally talk to another turbo junky that knows what he's talking about.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:20 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times
Actually when I used to race I kept a new paper filter just for racing. I also at times ran no filter at filter change tome is keep the race paper filter in and buy a new paper filter and make it my new paper filter.

For me I can buy 6-7 paper filters for a cost of a k&n. Throw in a recharge kit and I can buy 2 more filters.

So 8-9. Paperhaha filters. Or a filter I have to mantain myself and I really get it "clean" by finding it out.... Also risk contaminating the MAF. Figure every 6k-8k on changes so 54k-72k miles? Do you intend to run the same filter you "hose out" that long.

It's a filter its dispoable....

My opinion for racing a new paper filter is better then a used k&n, even freshly recharged.

My background... I lived 7 miles from a dragstrip from age18 to 26. Had over 1,000 passes and have done a lot of autocrossing and some roadracing.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:34 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,268,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post

I'm going to have to steal...er, borrow this one lol

Old 09-09-2011, 07:11 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,084,859 times
The poll results are 13, 14 right now. That's not exactly helping my decision making. I think I'm going to stick with paper filters for now. The K&N might save some money over the long run, but I'm feeling thrifty for the short run. Thank you all for voting and posting.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:52 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times
Flow and filtration it takes more psi or vac to pull air threw a filter that has a high micron rating thus slowing down the flow. A lower micron rating will flow easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
You would also think that they would design their vehicles to work with a single universal oil filter, but that hasn't happened either.
The only proublem is some use 6qt or less and some use 3gal or more. so I don't think one size will fit all.

We would be hy-jacking this thread as the difference in flow and filtering micron rating in oil filters is eminence.
absolute or nominal , multi pass or single pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
Ahhhh.. You're a diesel guy.. Now I understand where the big boost numbers are coming from. I though we were talking gas engines... The whole Turbo sizing and filter sizing deal goes right out the window as the turbos, piping and filters on those things are more than adequate to flow the air required for 1000+ hp. Just add fuel and turn up the boost. Nice to finally talk to another turbo junky that knows what he's talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Actually when I used to race I kept a new paper filter just for racing. I also at times ran no filter at filter change tome is keep the race paper filter in and buy a new paper filter and make it my new paper filter.

For me I can buy 6-7 paper filters for a cost of a k&n. Throw in a recharge kit and I can buy 2 more filters.

So 8-9. Paperhaha filters. Or a filter I have to mantain myself and I really get it "clean" by finding it out.... Also risk contaminating the MAF. Figure every 6k-8k on changes so 54k-72k miles? Do you intend to run the same filter you "hose out" that long.

It's a filter its dispoable....

My opinion for racing a new paper filter is better then a used k&n, even freshly recharged.

My background... I lived 7 miles from a dragstrip from age18 to 26. Had over 1,000 passes and have done a lot of autocrossing and some roadracing.

On my race engines (boat) I only use a screen/flame arestor to keep the rocks, weeds and sticks out. coastguard approved of course.

Another draw back is washing the k&n, some will use the hose to squirt threw the media while others will use some war or hot water in the kitchen sink, both methods can damage the filter.
Then there is the I just washed my filter and I can't do a thing with it until it drys..

Old 09-09-2011, 01:38 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Cleaning them takes time and you have to buy the chemicals. If you assign any value to your time, it does not save money. I saw no difference in performance or mileage. Eventually I just threw the K & N away. Not worth the hassle.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:58 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,928,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
How did you measure this boost in horsepower? The proverbial "butt dyno?"
LOL, butt dyno, I like that! Nothing scientific, just how I felt the car performed for me. The Rav only had 145 HP and didn't have enough get up and go for my driving preference. I'm not saying everyone needs one or should get one, I'm just simply saying that it worked for me in my situation and made enough of a difference to notice. I also put one in my hubby's 1.8L Civic and while very slight, I could tell the difference. YMMV.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:02 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
LOL, butt dyno, I like that! Nothing scientific, just how I felt the car performed for me. The Rav only had 145 HP and didn't have enough get up and go for my driving preference. I'm not saying everyone needs one or should get one, I'm just simply saying that it worked for me in my situation and made enough of a difference to notice. I also put one in my hubby's 1.8L Civic and while very slight, I could tell the difference. YMMV.
Was your comparison from an old filter to a new clean filter? Or a clean filter to a k&n?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive