Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 03:28 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
Totally disagree with the notion of this thread. The average car has ALWAYS been boring because that's what the average person wants. Reliable, cheap, no fuss transportation.

There are so many great cars available on the market for enthusiasts today. Just to name a few the Corvette, Camaro, Challenger, Mustang, Viper (soon to be redesigned), Cayman, Boxster, 911, STI, Evo, 1 Series M, M3, M5, S4, S5, AMG-line Mercedes, 370Z, GTR, Elise, Evora, Genesis Coupe, etc. etc. And that's just under 100k. The exotics made now push the limits of performance, technology and beauty like NEVER before.
These cars are just toys. One day i might have one but for now I have to deal with reality. I am really liking my new car though..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 04:08 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
Default My two sense about boring cars

I figured with all the useless information being throw out I would submit some of my own.
I have driven every one of these cars at speed at Watkins Glen NY at various driving schools.
None of these cars are boring.

Shelby Cobra replica 600HP
BMW M-3 stock
Corvette Zo6 stock
66 Mustang track racer 750 HP (Jerico clutch less trans)
Mini Cooper S
So many stock and modified Corvettes and Mustangs I lost count.

The most fun and also the loudest and fastest is a tie between the Cobra and the 66 Mustang.
The easiest to drive fast is a tie between the M-3 and the Zo6

The Mini was cute and cornered nice but has no top end, good girls car. Borderline boring.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:44 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
I like my vehicles to have power to the rear, and lots of power at that...

I also prefer if they are svelte and nimble, since twisties are 1000x more fun than a straight line.

Don't care who made it, don't care what era it is, don't care if a bunch of oldsters wangst about it looking "generic" or a bunch of kids think it "looks old." Tell it to my tail lights...

Old 09-11-2011, 12:40 AM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
These cars are just toys. One day i might have one but for now I have to deal with reality. I am really liking my new car though..
At least half the cars I mentioned are practical enough to be a daily driver for just about anyone that doesn't need a truck. I wouldn't call them toys.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:39 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
The description you gave "quicker, more reliable, stop better, handle better, use less fuel, pollute less" almost sounds like you're buying a new appliance. What about STYLE?

The Porsche 911 is a beautiful car, no doubt but realistically, how many Americans can afford a BASE 911 much less a Turbo S?

What new vehicles under say $30,000 are actually exciting? Very, very few. In fact I can only think of the new Mustang which offers style and performance and can get the blood pumping.

The only new SEDAN I'd really have any ambition to own and can afford would be a new Caddy CTS. It's edgy, bold, and distinctive. Most others look like you're driving a bathtub- no style, no panache
Your original post complained about "slow, small, and generic."

Today's cars are faster, larger, and no more generic than in the past. The largest cars of yesterday were boats and they bring no pleasure to the person whose hands are on the wheel. I admit to liking a lot the 60s Lincoln Continental, but not many others of that era.

You haven't really cited examples of cars you find exciting. Which ones?

Some of the old cars had some beauty, but they were slow, thirsty, and unreliable.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:38 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,288,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I prefer cheap little junkers that get great gas mileage seeing as gas is running around 4 bucks a gallon.

And new cars today, or even newer used cars..............yikes, 20-30 grand and up...........no way.
Adjusted for inflation, I spend less of my paycheck on cars and gas now then when gas was under a buck a gallon and I made $7.50 an hour. Sounds like you just need a better job.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:39 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I prefer cars that are fun to drive. I enjoy driving my 1973 Jensen Healey Roadster more than any of my other cars even though most of them are faster and handle better, are more comfortable, and safer.
You have one?

I just slobbered all over my keyboard.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:44 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I figured with all the useless information being throw out I would submit some of my own.
I have driven every one of these cars at speed at Watkins Glen NY at various driving schools.
None of these cars are boring.

Shelby Cobra replica 600HP
BMW M-3 stock
Corvette Zo6 stock
66 Mustang track racer 750 HP (Jerico clutch less trans)
Mini Cooper S
So many stock and modified Corvettes and Mustangs I lost count.

The most fun and also the loudest and fastest is a tie between the Cobra and the 66 Mustang.
The easiest to drive fast is a tie between the M-3 and the Zo6

The Mini was cute and cornered nice but has no top end, good girls car. Borderline boring.

Despite the sometimes alarming amonts of testosterone I find myself wading through on this forum there are times I find myself smiling broadly and thinking, "Way to go!"

This is one of them.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:55 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Certainly compare to the cars in the 70's they are more powerful and better on gas and certainly more reliable. The american cars of the mid 70- thriu 90's were pretty much poorly built with the workers now admitting they sent lemons out to let the dealers deal with the problems.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:57 PM

709 posts, read 2,180,851 times
I like mine big enough to haul my dirt bike and quad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive