Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 09:38 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times

Advertisements

1st they learn to drive bad in a truck, then they keep right on driving bad on a motorcycle.
he has 1 patch of rubber on the pavement, you have 4. do the math. its natures way of protecting the pension fund.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 09:44 AM

525 posts, read 899,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
The pulling over advice is amusing. When we were kids, I was taught that to get a tailgater off of you, you pull over enough to drop one rear wheel into the gravel shoulder. Gravel sprays out from your wheel and peppers his hood. Usually he will back off. However if you are not really really careful, you can lose control of your car doing that. You have to be prepared for the sudden drag of the soft shoulder.

I think it was my dad that taught me that. Funny thing for a dad to teach.
not funny stupid.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:48 AM

152 posts, read 583,574 times
Another good one is to pull to the right a little and pour out your coffie/ pop out of the window.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:49 AM

662 posts, read 1,227,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlecrazy View Post
Hi all -

Just need to see what people think or feel about motorcyclists that insist on tailgating cars/trucks/etc. Obviously it's dangerous, my sister-in-law is a motorcycle instructor, and she says that she cannot emphasize this enough in her classes.

Last night I was tailgated mercilessly by a motorcyclist, who eventually passed me on a rural back road. He was swerving behind me, as if I was going way too slow, and he was actually scaring me half to death for some reason. (I guess I scare easily)

I know there's really nothing I can do, as I am in the heavier vehicle and maybe he was in a rush, but this happens often especially on busy roads.

And I am not against motorcyclists either, not ALL of them do this, just ones that are in a rush I suppose. I would LOVE to be able to learn to ride a motorcycle sometime when the time presents itself.

Just wanted to see how people react to that. Oh, and I am totally used to cars wanting to tail me, I just slow down. But a motorcycle is a lot different.
I'd ignore him. Being tailgated by a motorcycle is annoying, but very likely not dangerous to you. You are surrounded by a steel cage weighing several thousand pounds. Somebody in a 500-pound motorcycle hitting the your bumper 8 feet behind you a few mph faster than you are going *might* spill your coffee. It will absolutely ruin THEIR day though. Being tailgated by another car or worse, a much larger vehicle, is a real problem though.

Regardless of who or what is tailgating me, I always keep a steady speed so the idiot can pass without having to over-tax his two brain cells in trying to calculate both my acceleration and that of traffic in other lanes. Doing anything else is dangerous. Slowing down can cause them to hit your vehicle, speeding up will tee them off and perhaps get you a ticket as well, and pulling over isn't always an option. Tailgaters generally only tend to be a problem if you are in the passing lane or on a winding hilly two-lane road without a lot of passing zones. Sure, move out of the passing lane if you're being tailgated and can do so safely. That two-lane road without a lot of passing zones is going to be dangerous to pull over on because of the hills, curves, and a near-universal lack of much of shoulder to pull over on.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:57 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,087,987 times
Quote:
Hi all -

Just need to see what people think or feel about motorcyclists that insist on tailgating cars/trucks/etc. Obviously it's dangerous, my sister-in-law is a motorcycle instructor, and she says that she cannot emphasize this enough in her classes.

Last night I was tailgated mercilessly by a motorcyclist, who eventually passed me on a rural back road. He was swerving behind me, as if I was going way too slow, and he was actually scaring me half to death for some reason. (I guess I scare easily)

I know there's really nothing I can do, as I am in the heavier vehicle and maybe he was in a rush, but this happens often especially on busy roads.

And I am not against motorcyclists either, not ALL of them do this, just ones that are in a rush I suppose. I would LOVE to be able to learn to ride a motorcycle sometime when the time presents itself.

Just wanted to see how people react to that. Oh, and I am totally used to cars wanting to tail me, I just slow down. But a motorcycle is a lot different.
Someone tailgating you means you are going too slow. I know you said you weren't, but chances are you were. Every day I see people doing 55 in the left lane thinking they are flying.

Simple, if someone is tailgating, just move over and let them pass. Either move over a lane, or lay off the gas and put on your blinker, we'll get the hint and pass if it is safe.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:59 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,451,609 times
My sister in law, who was a long haul trucker, absolutely hated tailgaters/drafters.
She would throw jumbo size marshmallows out of her window.

Her reasoning was that:
1. It would make people back off.
2. Marshmallows don't do any damage.
3. What policeman would believe a story about a crazed marshmallow throwing truck driver?

Old 10-21-2011, 11:01 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,087,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
1st they learn to drive bad in a truck, then they keep right on driving bad on a motorcycle.
he has 1 patch of rubber on the pavement, you have 4. do the math. its natures way of protecting the pension fund.

What does 1 patch of rubber have to do vs 4? Could it be the that the one with 1 patch is faster and will out handle the one with 4? Tailgating has nothing to do with being a bad driver, usually its the person being tailgated that is the bad driver.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:01 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,207 times
Quote:
Hi all -

i blame toxoplasmosis gondii.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:05 AM

662 posts, read 1,227,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
The ones that seem to have a real deathwish are the ones that ride those Ninjas.
I've noticed that too. Apparently it's impossible to ride a crotch rocket without revving the engine all the way to redline before every shift and following the car in front of you by less than ten feet. There are a few equally dumb Hog hustlers up here but for the most part, those guys drive like old men (probably because they usually ARE old men.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
THE MOST hilarious thing about tailgating is they never have to tailgate at all, even if they are close to a vehicle remember the rule always leave a way out? I also love the ones with loud ass mufflers on them you can hear them coming a mile away, what kind of mentality is this? I think motorcycles are an extension of ones genitals.;
The lack of mufflers actually makes some sense. If a five-ton truck can disappear into a blind spot, a motorcycle most certainly will. However, you know a bike is out there somewhere not too far away if you hear the exhaust, so you look a little closer for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
The pulling over advice is amusing. When we were kids, I was taught that to get a tailgater off of you, you pull over enough to drop one rear wheel into the gravel shoulder. Gravel sprays out from your wheel and peppers his hood. Usually he will back off. However if you are not really really careful, you can lose control of your car doing that. You have to be prepared for the sudden drag of the soft shoulder.

I think it was my dad that taught me that. Funny thing for a dad to teach.
Did he teach you to flip the bird at the tailgater as they passed, too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Sportbike riders are a whole other topic, and one can just pray they have any brains at all. Some do and others are just organ donars.
Crotch rocket drivers do in fact have brains. Road crews have to scoop them off the highway all of the time up here after those guys get into a crash. Yes, I live in a no-helmet state.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:05 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3700 View Post
Intent.
I intend to stop driving in a dangerous situation by stopping.
You have to prove intent.
By tailgating the cyclist is braking the law and has lost the fight already.

The last cyclist to hit me flew over my truck and landed on the ground.
Neat thing about driving - You can slow to a stop. You do not have to jam on your brakes. Sears has a driving school, they can teach you how to stop gradually. Then you can stop killing people and saying it is not your fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive