Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 10:10 AM

1,459 posts, read 3,299,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Help me find some data to support your conclusion that Cadillac is a poorly engineered/built car. The three links I provide here compare a 2010 CTS to a 2010 5 series to a 2010 E series and they conclude that the Cadillac is the better value in regards to cost of ownership. This does not jibe with your blanket statement about Cadillac being lesser to the Germans. Why is that?

2010 Cadillac CTS Ownership Costs | New

2010 Mercedes E Class Ownership Costs | New

2010 BMW 5 Series Ownership Costs | New

#1.....BMW/Benz uses min 91 Octane vs Caddy's 87.....hence the higher fuel costs.

#2....The CTS is comparable to the 3 series/C class....NOT a 5 series or e class. So the depreciation/financing/insurance rates will be different

#3.....last time I checked, the BMW had a 4 yr maintenance warranty....yet there are costs starting in yr 3?

I'd still own a BMW over a caddy any day...says a former caddy owner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 11:52 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,784,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2007 View Post
#1.....BMW/Benz uses min 91 Octane vs Caddy's 87.....hence the higher fuel costs.

#2....The CTS is comparable to the 3 series/C class....NOT a 5 series or e class. So the depreciation/financing/insurance rates will be different

#3.....last time I checked, the BMW had a 4 yr maintenance warranty....yet there are costs starting in yr 3?
1. So. Focus on the maintenance and repair costs. Sounds to me like Cadillac engineered a better engine, not an "unfair" trick to beat the Germans.

2. The car is regularly compared to both. The CTS costs like a 3, but sizes like a 5. This is well established and not open for debate.

3. I don't know. Perhaps there's something they need that isn't covered.

Here's the 3:
http://www.automobilemag.com/am/2010...hip_costs.html

and the C:
http://www.automobilemag.com/am/2010...hip_costs.html

both still worse then the CTS.

Last edited by Tourian; 12-08-2011 at 12:09 PM..

Old 12-08-2011, 01:12 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
BMW and Mercedes both developed a bad name as a used car a while back becuase they had an extradorinarily expensive maintainence reqruiement at some high mileage number. I donot remember how many miles it was, but it cost about $5,000. When owners reached that maintenance, they would generally sell the car. The new owner would discover that they had to spend a fortune to to the necessary maintanence and get the service engine or equivalent light turned off (lots of people woudl just ignore it, or just turn off ht elight themselves, but many people got stuck for the cost and this resulted in a bad reputation in the used car market). I am not sure whether they corrected this problem, but the reputation remains.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
BMW and Mercedes both developed a bad name as a used car a while back becuase they had an extradorinarily expensive maintainence reqruiement at some high mileage number. I donot remember how many miles it was, but it cost about $5,000. When owners reached that maintenance, they would generally sell the car. The new owner would discover that they had to spend a fortune to to the necessary maintanence and get the service engine or equivalent light turned off (lots of people woudl just ignore it, or just turn off ht elight themselves, but many people got stuck for the cost and this resulted in a bad reputation in the used car market). I am not sure whether they corrected this problem, but the reputation remains.

the maintenance requirement is closer to $2000. Covers everything. Now of course, there is no law that says you have to do it...especially at a BMW dealer. Take it to a non BMW dealer and you can kiss 75% of that cost goodbye.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
1. So. Focus on the maintenance and repair costs. Sounds to me like Cadillac engineered a better engine, not an "unfair" trick to beat the Germans.

2. The car is regularly compared to both. The CTS costs like a 3, but sizes like a 5. This is well established and not open for debate.

3. I don't know. Perhaps there's something they need that isn't covered.

Here's the 3:
2010 BMW 3 Series Ownership Costs | New

and the C:
2010 Mercedes C Class Ownership Costs | New

both still worse then the CTS.

and like most people will say too, the CTS shouldn't be classfied along with a 5. Then is the DTS supposed to compete with the 7 cause that would be really unfair to the caddy then.

From what I know, the only reason why a lot of magazines pitched the CTS against the 5 was to show how the CTS-V could measure up to the monstrous M5. And to be quie frank, the CTS falls somewhere in the middle in terms of size between the 3 and 5.

just like the Hyundais, its going to take more than 1 model to convince me that Caddy's are of superior quality.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:22 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,704,014 times
Quote:
and like most people will say too, the CTS shouldn't be classfied along with a 5. Then is the DTS supposed to compete with the 7 cause that would be really unfair to the caddy then.

From what I know, the only reason why a lot of magazines pitched the CTS against the 5 was to show how the CTS-V could measure up to the monstrous M5. And to be quie frank, the CTS falls somewhere in the middle in terms of size between the 3 and 5.

just like the Hyundais, its going to take more than 1 model to convince me that Caddy's are of superior quality.
When the current generation Caddy CTS was introduced, it was meant to be a competitive bargain for those who had 3 Series money but wanted a 5 Series-sized car. In my opinion, Cadillac made a big mistake by putting the VERY underpowered 3.0L engine as the base, they should've just kept the base engine as the 3.6L DI instead of charging a substantial premium for a bigger (adequate) engine.

The DTS was never meant to compete with anything Germany had- it was a luxo-barge that sold well with the retirees in America. My parents had a 2006 DTS and while it was a nice car, it wasn't competition for anything other than comparable American cars. It was, however, very comfortable.

And have you looked at the upcoming XTS? That'll be a 5 Series/E-Class fighter and the Caddy SRX is quite a nice vehicle for the money.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:42 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,784,156 times
Quote:
its going to take more than 1 model to convince me that Caddy's are of superior quality.
Well there's your problem right there. I wasn't trying to convince you of anything. Another poster makes a blanket statement about Cadillacs being inferior with no facts to back it up, I challenge him and showed factual evidence where a third party company says that is false for this one model, compared to whatever size German sedan it can be compared to. Therefore his statement is false.

With all due respect, I don't care what you think. Opinions from close minded people are irrelevant.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:01 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,015,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
bek people find out what it costs to repair and maintain them.
+1 I've owned both BMW and Honda/Toyota and it really is this simple.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Well there's your problem right there. I wasn't trying to convince you of anything. Another poster makes a blanket statement about Cadillacs being inferior with no facts to back it up, I challenge him and showed factual evidence where a third party company says that is false for this one model, compared to whatever size German sedan it can be compared to. Therefore his statement is false.

With all due respect, I don't care what you think. Opinions from close minded people are irrelevant.

likewise

Old 12-15-2011, 09:32 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,983,847 times
Quote:

The headgasket problem with the Northstar engines is well known and well documented. It is my understanding it remains unresolved. Not only that, but late 90s Northstars were losing oil through the engine, despite having good seals, because of a poor casting process. Then, you have the whole front-wheel drive issue. Do your own research, dude, and none of that media hype rubbish.

I was actually thinking about buying an early 2000s STS or Eldorado since you can pick them up for next to nothing even with very low mileage. But after diving into a bit of research, I decided it's not worth it. Those cars are cheap for a reason. Not to mention they come with a ghetto/white trash/old person stigma.

I admit I don't know much about the CTS, but at least it's RWD. I may take a look at them. But as others said, they're really not at the level of the E-class, 5-series or A6,, although they are a bit bigger than C-class, 3-series and A4. I've heard the CTS-V is quite a car and is an American alternative to the M3 or C-class AMG, but if they are like the other models it's only superficial and they don't hold up over any amount of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive