Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 05:56 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,294,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I have to say 'Ban-em'.

After 40 yrs of accident free CDL professional driving, I have been hit 3x by Cell phone talking SUV (drivers). It is VERY time consuming for me to fight with insurance companies and try to find 52 MPG replacement cars.

With 30 years of driving, Iv'e been rear ended 3 times. Once by a girl looking at a department store window, once by a girl looking down at her air conditioning controls, and once by a guy staring at a pretty girl in a sundress on the sidewalk (I know beceuse I saw her too...). I say ban department store windows, in car HVAC, and sundresses/pretty girls.

See how stupid that sounds?

Again, we need to teach people to drive and pay attention better ,and use the laws for distracted driving already on the books to punish those that fail. Otherwise we're going to have to ban everyting from passengers in the car to pretty girls on the sideawalk. And I dont want to live in that world...

edit, in those 30 years, I've never hit anyone, and I talk to passengers, sing along with the radio, etc. And use a hands free phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 08:03 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
The argument of banning all distracting behavior if you single out this one is invalid. Besides we are talking about 1)Banning an activity where the technology actually exisits to do it 2)Banning an activity that research shows can be as altering as driving while intoxicated.
Now everyone is different, but I have had handsfree cell conversations for work related matters where I hang up and think "I really don't have any recall of my driving for the last few minutes". And I am a safe driver without any accidents for over 15 years (knock on wood) and 1 ticket for speeding (65 in 55) in last 17 years. I NEVER have that happen with a conversation with a passenger or while listening to book on tape. Maybe it's the way MY brain is wired, but if that were strictly the case then I don't think the research showing it impairs driving the way DWI does would exist.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:56 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
once by a guy staring at a pretty girl in a sundress on the sidewalk (I know beceuse I saw her too...). I say ban department store windows, in car HVAC, and sundresses/pretty girls.
LOL. I was following our work truck out to a job site with my Jeep and did the same thing at a stop light when I was 18. Ran right into the back of the Boss, he stepped out of his truck and simply said.. "I take it you saw her too?" Never heard another word about it, but I learned a valuable lesson I have never forgotten. Neither vehicle was damaged at all, not even a scratch; so while it was a good lesson, thank goodness it was also a cheap lesson.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:33 PM

373 posts, read 710,393 times
A man I know showed me a picture this weekend of his late model honda after he wraped the right rear door and frame around a tree knocking him unconcious . He said he was trying to text when it happened.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:04 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,421,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconman View Post
A man I know showed me a picture this weekend of his late model honda after he wraped the right rear door and frame around a tree knocking him unconcious . He said he was trying to text when it happened.
I bet he still didnt learn his lesson either. People are going to continue to talk and text even when it is banned. And it will eventually be banned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive