Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 11:49 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times

Advertisements

Every third house is REQUIRED to have a pickup in the driveway in Jacksonville, Florida.....it's the law !

They are handy, that's for sure, but having one in Jax is almost like a statement here - people assume you are a certain way, believe certain beliefs, etc. They are wildly popular here though .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 09:50 AM

86 posts, read 259,003 times
Well everyone is has an opinion.i still stand by mine,im not impressed with getting less than 30mpg.im not a super trucker and im not impressed by my fellow drivers,theyll keep complaining as cheap mexican labor replaces them.the vast majority of people haul very little with their truck and many four wheel drives are never taken off the pavement,you pay a big fuel penalty to have a tow vehicle for your boat.its a inefficient vehicle and a car can do what most people do with their trucks at almost twice the fuel mileage.But mabe the country thing is right,i watched the locals driving around in big dually trucks with giant v8 engines,with gas at almost three bucks a gallon.sorry ill stop posting here.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:09 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times
People DO actually use their trucks but you won't see someone pulling a trailer/boat/etc EVERY SINGLE DAY. Trucks are popular because they are multi-purpose and MANY people need a vehicle to do different things. You can't tow much with a car, the limit is probably 3000 lbs. What if you have a boat or camper trailer? Are you supposed to have 2 different vehicles (one to drive everyday and one to use for the boat/trailer)? Seems pretty inefficient to me.

The most popular vehicles in America are pickups and for good reason. They may only get 16 mpg but you can do so much more when need be. My father has 2 F-150's and 1 F-350 Diesel but he uses each since he farms. The F-350 is the workhorse and pulls a grain wagon EVERY fall, one F-150 is his everyday vehicle that he uses around the farm to do different jobs and the other F-150 is in Scottsdale to be used when he's down here.

Besides it's a free country where we each can decided what to drive/wear/eat/etc. It's not your place to step in and say that someone cannot drive a certain type of vehicle.

Old 09-15-2007, 02:24 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron17571 View Post
Well everyone is has an opinion.i still stand by mine,im not impressed with getting less than 30mpg.im not a super trucker and im not impressed by my fellow drivers,theyll keep complaining as cheap mexican labor replaces them.the vast majority of people haul very little with their truck and many four wheel drives are never taken off the pavement,you pay a big fuel penalty to have a tow vehicle for your boat.its a inefficient vehicle and a car can do what most people do with their trucks at almost twice the fuel mileage.But mabe the country thing is right,i watched the locals driving around in big dually trucks with giant v8 engines,with gas at almost three bucks a gallon.sorry ill stop posting here.
I am suprised as a trucker you would not see how usefull a pickup is to most people, owning a house I find a need for mine all the time, besides towing my camp trailer, there are no cars rated to tow a full sized trailer and none to tow a 5thwheel. You must have a very differant life than most truckers.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:29 PM

711 posts, read 932,959 times
Smile Pickup Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Every third house is REQUIRED to have a pickup in the driveway in Jacksonville, Florida.....it's the law !

They are handy, that's for sure, but having one in Jax is almost like a statement here - people assume you are a certain way, believe certain beliefs, etc. They are wildly popular here though .

The statement that you refer to may be at least a part of what Ron 17571 is saying in his messages. RE; are a certain way, believe certain beliefs,etc.

Obviously,this being a free country--no one has the right to dictate what others find desirable to drive or not --and I don't think Ron has done that. I do think he has pointed out some truths that are painful to some, however. I believe a large amount of tow type, haul type vehicles that are seldom if ever used for such is wasteful. Many people have owned houses for years without a truck.

I am familiar with Jax and their no inspection--poor MV law enforcement society and the types of vehicles around there and the culture that supports the same.

I can honestly say if I had a choice I would prefer the mentioned Chicago area which restricts pickups from residential driveways. As much as the vehicles themselves the culture that supports them is offensive to some people, and also viewed as just plain wrong-minded.

And yes, I suppose some people may view it as another aspect that American society can improve upon.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:52 PM

711 posts, read 932,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe107 View Post
there are affluent suburbs of chicago that will not allow you to have a pick up truck in your drive way---they think it looks white trashy
Can anyone possibly imagine that thought has absolute validity!!

Old 10-06-2007, 08:01 PM

355 posts, read 2,703,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe107 View Post
there are affluent suburbs of chicago that will not allow you to have a pick up truck in your drive way---they think it looks white trashy
That's just insane . How can the community you live in tell you what kind of vehicle you can or cannot drive or have in your driveway . If you own your own driveway , then you should be able to put whatever you want to in it . If they don't want to see a pickup truck , then they should just avoid looking .

Old 10-07-2007, 11:50 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashcash23 View Post
That's just insane . How can the community you live in tell you what kind of vehicle you can or cannot drive or have in your driveway . If you own your own driveway , then you should be able to put whatever you want to in it . If they don't want to see a pickup truck , then they should just avoid looking .
It's called a convenance. And there are a lot of them now. They're starting to pop up around here a lot more now. Dictating, "If you purchase property here, you will build to this size at least, it will be one of these colors, you will not have any out buildings such as shops or sheds, garages will be attached and will be no taller then the house, no tracktors or lawn machines in sight unless being used, etc...."

Old 10-09-2007, 07:12 AM

27,341 posts, read 27,393,359 times
I dont know but when I first moved to Az, it didnt take long to realize that 3 out of every 4 homes had trucks in their driveways. Maybe its because in Az, a truck is more of a necessity than a luxury?

Old 10-09-2007, 09:50 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,534,548 times
Default Scratching head

Such passion about pickups trucks?????

If certain people get worked up over Pickups....wonder what happens when something really important needs to be discussed?

Our PU gets used and abused....wouldn't be without it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive