Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 11:45 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,284,785 times

Advertisements

There is a Sunoco station in this area selling gas for $3.19. Right across the street form it there is Luke selling gas for $2.89. What amazes me is that there are always people filling up at Sunoco. I don’t get it. I can understand some may not want to drive miles to buy cheaper gas but this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 11:50 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
I used to go with the cheapest gas in town but then I got a tank full of water that really screwed up my JeeP. Today I stick with name brand stations but .30 cents in the difference that would be hard to skip.
Sometimes it just comes down to convenience. People are lazy so if they have to wait in line, can't get a coffee and a lotto ticket easily then they will pay the extra dough without a thought.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:53 AM

17,206 posts, read 15,421,256 times
I prefer certain brands of gas. I've found that (especially with a car that requires Premium) Chevron and Mobil stations have a better quality. A $.30/gal difference, however, I can't understand.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:21 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,738,816 times
Sometimes it's convenience or poor laziness. Some people don't like to make a left turn onto a busy street so will take the gas station on their right so when they exit they just make a right and continue on their way.

Personally I just use our King Soopers (Kroger) gas station as there is always a $0.10 discount and sometimes up to $1.00 discount depending on my shopping rewards. And they are usually a bit cheaper than other gas stations even without the discounts.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:28 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,582,886 times
There's a reason why its .30cents cheaper.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:36 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,038,507 times
Several reasons I can think of:
1. It's a company car and the boss handed them a gas card for the trip.
2. It's a fleet vehicle, and the owner of the fleet has a deal with that particular station.
3. They have a grudge against the owner of the cheaper station.
4. Accessing the station would cost more in time than the savings would be worth, especially true of divided highways.
5. They have a rewards card for that brand of gas, and feel that their rewards are saving them more money over time than going to the cheaper station.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:39 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,998,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
Several reasons I can think of:
1. It's a company car and the boss handed them a gas card for the trip.
2. It's a fleet vehicle, and the owner of the fleet has a deal with that particular station.
3. They have a grudge against the owner of the cheaper station.
4. Accessing the station would cost more in time than the savings would be worth, especially true of divided highways.
5. They have a rewards card for that brand of gas, and feel that their rewards are saving them more money over time than going to the cheaper station.
6. I've driving through and I've never even heard of a Luke gas station, so I go with the gas station that I know.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:43 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,986,646 times
Quality of gas does vary from station to station (depending upon their supplier). A good friend of mine worked at a locally owned station and speaking to the owner, he learned a lot about this. In conclusion I was told to be weary of small independently owned stations offering discounted gas (or stations owned by cheap people willing to compromise quality for a profit). In most situations you will have no idea what you are getting when you fill up, so I find the best thing is to not worry about it. If I saw a price difference like the OP mentioned, I would probably go to the cheaper place after checking online for bad reviews first.

Around me the price difference is usually 1-2 cents per gallon and I feel like that amount is so minuscule I just go to the most convenient station.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:55 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,526,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
There is a Sunoco station in this area selling gas for $3.19. Right across the street form it there is Luke selling gas for $2.89. What amazes me is that there are always people filling up at Sunoco. I don’t get it. I can understand some may not want to drive miles to buy cheaper gas but this?

I tend to prefer brand names over no-name stations. My reasons may not be viable, but I tend to feel that a major brand name would have better QC over their supply than a no-name station.

So given the above situation, i'd pay more at the Sunoco.

Old 12-11-2014, 01:02 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,784,156 times
A lot of the no-name gas stations around here don't have pay at the pump or are in sketchy areas, so they won't see a lot of business.

I only use Shell. Then maybe Exxon if I can't find one of those or some other name brand. I've never let things become desperate enough to have to use one of those no name places. It just won't happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive