Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 08:29 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Spring brings with it many cyclists returning to the public roadways to practice a very efficient and healthy form of transportation and/or recreation: bicycling.

How do you feel about cyclists sharing the roads with cars? Do most, in your experience, obey the laws, or at least the spirit of the law? Is your area cut out for cycling? Do highways and busy roads have shoulders, or are cyclists forced to ride in traffic?
I fully expect them to follow the same laws as cars (while anticipating that they don't so I don't crash into one of them.) If they violate the law or my right of way, I lay down the law (horn).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 09:00 AM

1,201 posts, read 4,046,153 times
I'm an avid bicyclist. I ride my bike to work and around town most days. My daily 5 mile commute is on urban streets with light to moderate 30-35mph traffic, bike lanes in some places, narrower spots in others. I obey the traffic laws as the cars do. I seldom have problems with car drivers, often giving a friendly wave for a vehicle that waits or gives plenty of room when passing me.

I don't like the salmon riders or the crazy bike riders. It makes the rest of us look bad.

I road ride a lot too, on quiet rural roads, and often ride double file, until a car comes by, then I single up. When driving on those roads I don't like to see the road riders not singleing up for car traffic.

Gas is probably not going to get much cheaper. Get used to bikes on the road.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:27 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,779 times
As a sometime cyclist and most times driver, I have conflicting views.

Cyclists need to obey the rules, and drivers need not road rage and cause harm to a person without a cage around them.

There are plenty of stupid bike riders out there. Many having no clue. Riding against traffic, on the wrong side of the road; in dark colors. Or just riding recklessly.

Plus there are stupid drivers who will tailgate a cyclist, or cut them off, just out of spite.

Sometimes cyclists need to be aggressive and that's IMO better than a car being aggressive.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:34 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,650,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Around here & most areas are building bike paths.
which cyclists ignore and ride on the road

Old 05-01-2012, 10:41 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,650,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Cyclists didn't bother me until cycling somehow transitioned from a means of personal transportation into a sociopolitical movement. Here in town many are absolutely insufferable, self-absorbed, little to no regard for the rules of the road (blowing stop signs and then getting all indignant at you when you almost hit them, etc.), sometimes downright dangerous particularly in the downtown area, weaving in and out of traffic and blowing right through red lights. And don't get me started on the Critical Mass-holes who make it a point to actively disrupt traffic flow during rush hour.
Exactly....

I also don't buy a guy do to high gas prices buys a $5,000 bike, and $400 worth of gear.

**** Cyclists Say - YouTube

Old 05-01-2012, 10:51 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,873,875 times
^^Was that Tightwad?

Old 05-01-2012, 11:20 AM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,377 times
Quote:
Spring brings with it many cyclists returning to the public roadways to practice a very efficient and healthy form of transportation and/or recreation: bicycling.

How do you feel about cyclists sharing the roads with cars? Do most, in your experience, obey the laws, or at least the spirit of the law? Is your area cut out for cycling? Do highways and busy roads have shoulders, or are cyclists forced to ride in traffic?
Cyclists can't ride on freeways here, the excepting route 1 (so far as I'm aware).

Otherwise, I feel about them the way I feel about drivers - the ones who obey the law and stay in their lane don't bother me.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:15 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
No problems with cyclists who follow the rules of the road, and a bit of common sense. Those riders though seem to be the exception and not the norm.

If I am moving slower than the speed limit, or even the flow of traffic on a road I move over so I don't hold up traffic. I haul a trailer quite a bit and will not blast down the road at speeds that would be questionable when considering the load hauled. If someone comes up faster from behind, I pull onto the shoulder (most are paved on the main roads around here) and let them pass easily and safely. If I can do that towing a trailer, I fail to see why a person on a bicycle can't do that to keep traffic flowing smoothly and efficiently. To NOT do so is rude, and frankly dangerous. I ride bicycle sometimes as well so I know that most of the arguments are pure BS based on selfishness.

As a bike rider myself I also firmly believe that on any roadway outside of city limits, or developed areas, the rider should have to pay for a license plate, license for riding on the road, insurance, and if traveling slower than the normal speed of traffic - display a slow moving vehicle sign as well as moving over to let vehicles pass (slow vehicle sign not needed to be the full sized one). If as a rider I expect to have the same access and rights to the road, I should have to shoulder the same cost and responsibility as others using the same road.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:17 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:

I can't stand them. They have no business being in traffic lanes. Minneapolis is the worst, they are like little Nazis blocking streets and generally mucking traffic up. Throw in the poorly planned light rail system and you have a fubar situation.

They should have their own separate paths away from streets.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:58 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:

I have a few peeves with cyclists.
I pay a lot of money to drive my vehicles on the road and i'm expected to obey all the rules of the road,bicyclist pay nothing to drive on the roads and it seems they have to obey no rules..
Bicyclists generally ***** and complain about not enough bike paths then when the city uses tax dollars to build more bike paths many of the bikers dont use them and instead prefer to hold up traffic as they continue to use the public roadways..
Also when out on country roads groups of bikers seem to insist on taking up both lanes even though they know a car is coming up behind them,usually the car doesnt even get the courtesy of having enough space to pass in the opposite lane untill he has come almost to a complete standstill where then the bikers will begrudgingly move over to let the car pass..
How do i feel about bikers? for the most part a rude,discourteous bunch..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive