Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: So who is the best
Ford F 150 27 36.99%
GM twins 15 20.55%
Toyota Tundra 18 24.66%
Dodge Ram 13 17.81%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 07:57 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Your second sentence explains the first. Diesels do get somewhat better mileage than gasoline vehicles.
They get more than somewhat better millage.
I have 2 comparable equipped 2500 4x4 trucks one gas one diesel. And if we want to include the other trucks we have the diesel beats them also.
The gasser gets 9-12mpg the diesel gets 17-20mpg

Quote:
But the diesel fuel costs more and erases much of the cost of fuel per mile benefit.
Now that gas is now ultra low sulfur like diesel is, it is now less than gas in my area up to $0.10 cents a gallon less than gas.

Quote:
Oh, and the diesel engine probably costs an extra $6000 over a gas engine (guessing that figure from 3/4 ton diesels costing $7-8k more than a gas engine), servicing it costs more, and they are much heavier to boot.
This is a wives tail, it costs less over the life time to service a diesel than a gasser. no plugs. cap, timing belt to replace, they go longer between oil changes, and they will last much longer than a gas engine.
Weight is not a issue as a diesel produces a lot more torque than a gasser does and it makes the vehicle more stable in cross winds.

In my opinion ford f150's are over rated boulevard cruisers.
Way to dressy to be a work truck.
And lets look at the diesel trucks made by ford.
You have to pull the cab just to do maintenance, (ie like adjusting the valves) That was a better idea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 08:58 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Lets look at it like this:

Ford is a truck company that makes cars

GM is a car company that makes trucks.

When I want a work truck I buy a ford. Saying that I really like the look of the current F150 4 door truck. All of our work trucks are Ford's I even used to own a propane powered F150.

When I want a play truck I buy a Chevy or GMC. My last pickup was a 76 GMC, lowered, shaved, and ready for fun. It had a 292 with the Clifford set up. (If you are not familiar with Clifford they take an inline 6 and make it fast, in many cases much faster than any V8. Earlier toys were the Chevy LUV (Light Utility Vehicle) It was also lowered but had the stock 4 banger in it. Still that truck ran for years.

I like the Nissan Frontier as well. Would love the 4 door with the long bed and the 6 speed manuel transmission. Wish that the Titan had the 6 speed manuel. I don't mind the look of the Titan

Old 07-03-2012, 09:11 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,409,483 times
The Nissan Frontier has been redesigned and is more of a mid-sized truck. After testing out several trucks (Chevy, Dodge, Ford and Toyota), I went with the Nissan Frontier Pro-4X King cab. My only gripe with it was that I had to install a better Satellite radio in it because the one it came with wasn't fit for a higher end vehicle.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:52 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daellis99 View Post
What's your opinion? Notice I didn't put the Titan or Ridgeline because......well it should be obvious
Probably the brand that sells the most trucks.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:59 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
This is sort of a silly poll. All the manufacturers have made both good and bad trucks over the years. If one is confining one's remarks to the 2012's, here is my opinion. I'm basing my rankings on the 4WD models, as I never drive the 2WD trucks--the 2WD's are just not practical for how I use trucks:

The GM and Ford model half-tons are about even, each with good and not-so-good points, with Ram trailing. The GM's engines are good, long-lived engines and the rest of the truck is fairly durable. The Ford is also a solid truck, overall. The Ford Eco-boost 3.5 V6 is an intriguing engine--seemingly combining the best of both worlds--economical and powerful (that turbocharging at high altitude is especially sweet). I'm still apprehensive about its longevity. The "regular" GM and Ford gas engines are easily 200,000 mile engines with decent maintenance--I don't know whether the Eco-boost will make that. The Toyota Tundra is a decent pickup, but not better than the domestics. The Ram still suffers from a less-than-great body, in my opinion, and the Ram engines generally lag the rest in fuel economy. I put the Nissan in about the same category as the Ram--the engine not being very economical being a downer.

In the 3/4 and 1-ton trucks, the 2012 Ford is the champ, in my opinion. Both the new 6.2 gas and 6.7 diesel look to be very reliable engines. The 6.7 offers excellent fuel economy for a large 4WD truck. The solid front axle suspension (SFA) in the 4WD is a big plus for off-road, the body is good, and the truck is comfortable and quiet--even in the lowest trim levels. (A note from shofarmer's post above--having to remove the cab for some engine work in the 6.0 and 6.4 Powerstrokes was true, but I'm told--but have not verified--that removing the cab may not be necessary with the 6.7.)

The GM 3/4 and 1-ton 4WD trucks are good, except for the independent front suspension (IFS) on the 4WD's. I don't like an IFS on any 4WD, but they especially don't work well on a heavy truck. The GM IFS is engineered about as well as one can be, but it still isn't as good as an SFA. If it weren't for that, I rank the GM's equal to the Ford. The Ram lags again because of its not-great body. I love the Cummins diesel engine in the Ram, along with the SFA, but that is not enough to compensate for the Ram's other shortcomings.

As I noted, my ratings here apply to only the 2012's. Earlier model year rankings would be different. For example, I would not recommend that anyone buy a Ford with the 6.0 and 6.4 diesel engine. Those engines were unreliable and expensive to repair.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:12 AM

1,201 posts, read 4,046,575 times
I wish they still made trucks like the 1990s decade Toyota pickups and Tacomas.....

Old 07-03-2012, 11:29 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,701,216 times
Quote:
In my opinion ford f150's are over rated boulevard cruisers.
Way to dressy to be a work truck.
And lets look at the diesel trucks made by ford.
You have to pull the cab just to do maintenance, (ie like adjusting the valves) That was a better idea
You can still buy a basic, regular cab, F-150 XL or XLT for work truck purposes. The one thing Ford does better than any other truck manufacturer is having a lineup of trims that are distinctly different from each other. One can buy a no-frills XL or XLT, a luxurious Lariat or Platinum or a specialty truck like the SVT Raptor or Harley Davidson Edition. It's really at the discretion of your wants/needs as well as your budget.

GM and Dodge just don't offer the level of customization as Ford does, hopefully that changes a bit on the new 2014 Silverado/Sierra models though. For now, I'll stick with the F-150's though.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:31 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
This is sort of a silly poll. All the manufacturers have made both good and bad trucks over the years. .....
Certainly is silly with limited options and without defining 'truck'.

For Light pickup duties (loads / towing under 2,000#... which you can do with any minivan) I do in my 50 mpg VW "TRUCK" (pickup) (not the best truck ever built.)

Hitching up to my trailer w/ dozer, excavator attached (~20,000#) requires a bit more TRUCK....(I use a Cummins w350 dually for this ~light stuff) An F-150 is not gonna cut-it...

When I get serious, I use the MACK or Kenworth. (not an option on the poll, tho I was REALLY hoping to see Autocar on the poll).

I assume Peterbilt or Western Star will end up on top of the 'best' trucks built (in USA), tho Volvo holds benefit in certain sectors of trucks. Unimog / Oshkosh /Tatra can be leader in other sectors.
Heavy Tactical Vehicles : Oshkosh Defense

Truck?...:confused: El Camino, Ranchero, Ridgeway
Mini Truck-Mini Truck Manufacturers, Suppliers and Exporters on Alibaba.com
Heavy Duty Truck-Heavy Duty Truck Manufacturers, Suppliers and Exporters on Alibaba.com

Old 07-03-2012, 03:27 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
The Tundra is?! How do you figure that especially considering it has either the lowest or second lowest towing/hauling capability of all full-sized trucks.
For Toyota to be fairly new to the full size truck game,and still be #4 on this list in terms of market share is an achievement.
How long have the big 3 been making full sized trucks?
Take in the fact that Toyota has no where near the history of the Big 3 yet they are mentioned
They got a ways to go when in comes to the Hp/Torque dept,but not by much!

Toyota Tundra: 381-hp, 5.7-liter V-8
Chevy 1500:315 hp @ 5200 rpm
Ford 150: 360 hp @ 5500 rpm

Old 07-03-2012, 03:32 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,497,965 times
Ford F 150
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive