Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 03:32 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,910,302 times

Advertisements

If I was the original owner (original poster) I would be very confused by these responses--they are all over the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 04:11 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
If I was the original owner (original poster) I would be very confused by these responses--they are all over the place.
Not all. Mostly it's just the ones who didn't filter out the OP's request for "rules of thumb".
That sort of thing will open the floodgates for just about anything.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:06 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
And the only 100% correct answer is, do what the manual tells you to do.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:34 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
Are there any rules of thumb about when to do the first oil change on a new car? Is it 1000 miles? 1500 miles? I looked in the owner's manual, and I didn't see anything mentioned about the first oil change. It looks like in general the manufacturer is recommending them at 7500 mile intervals, but to me that seems like a long time to wait to do the first one.
These new car engines are so much cleaner than the old ones. No metal shaving left in their from the manufacturing process. I just had my 2012 Nissan Rogue's oil changed at the recommended mileage and had it done at Tires Plus. No worries.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:24 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,059,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I just had my 2012 Nissan Rogue's oil changed at the recommended mileage and had it done at Tires Plus. No worries.
Stay away from Tires Plus and other chain places like that...They will ruin your car!

Old 07-17-2012, 07:35 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
These new car engines are so much cleaner than the old ones. No metal shaving left in their from the manufacturing process. I just had my 2012 Nissan Rogue's oil changed at the recommended mileage and had it done at Tires Plus. No worries.
Don't mean to go off topic but why wouldn't you take a brand new car back to the dealer where you got the car from for simple service like oil change?

You may say that it's cheaper than going to Nissan but that may not be the case in the long run. While a car is under manufacturer warranty, I prefer to use the dealership so that I can nag them on little stuff that may be under warranty. You are also establishing a relationship with the service department.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:44 AM

833 posts, read 1,714,501 times
I changed my first oil when the manual recommended.

I didn't listen to "experts" on the internet who claim you must change first oil at 1,000 miles.

I got 200,000+ trouble free miles out of 4 different new cars that I bought by doing so.

" experts" ?

I laugh !

Old 07-17-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I would suggest for any new car or engine to follow this maintenance schedule. Change the first time at 1000 miles. Reason: There is still lots of debris in the engine from the manufacturing processes. We see huge amounts of it in spectroscopy. You also have additives in the oils that will "plate up" the engine when new. Now you have new parts that are depleting the additive package at a very fast pace. Remember, this debris can often exceed 40 microns which can do damage to the engine. Don't rely on the filter to capture it the first time thru the oil filter as most are rated as multi-pass to reach their efficiency rating. Change again at 5000 miles for the same reasons stated above. Then follow the makers scheduled maintenance using the correct viscosity.
I would suggest that for a lot of you with the newer cars that you NOT follow the oil life monitor. GM has already replaced far too many engines from oil related failures due to the programming of this unit. None of them are fool proof. Most of the new engine are extremely clean burning and don't produce the particulate materials or the acids with the cleaner burning fuels. Oil life has been extended considerably. There are few left on the road today that would require an oil change every 3000 miles. Most will easily go 5000 miles and still retain a TBN of 2.0 or more. Quite a few will easily go 7500 miles and you'll start seeing more makers recommends at 10,000 miles. With the low tension rings and the lower ring decks, the engine just aren't making the contaminants of yesterdays engines. There is NO break in required for the rings anymore. Any break in is due to transmission clutch packs, not anything to do with the engine.

another "expert" telling you to change at 1,000 miles

Old 07-17-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
I agree, and debris from casting the block can still be present.

40microns is purity big, absolute and multti pass filtering ratings differ greatly depending of the filter being used.

The engines may not be making the contaminants of yesterdays engines.
but when the EGR is in tack it is ingesting exhaust gasses, ie soot and other contaminants are being reintroduced.
Depending on if it is a gasser or diesel the egr has a big effect on the oils contamination levels.
An "expert" agreeing with another "expert"

I laugh.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:07 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Read the Owner's manual. Do what it says. Aito companies spend much money hiring the best engineers available so do not try and out guess them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive