Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 11:44 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Any car can last for 300,000 miles if you have a bottomless barrel of money to keep repairing it.

The question should be which vehicles need the least repairs.
Good Point... I took my 'SteathRabbit' into a specialty alignment shop (NOT a tire shop) at over 300k, and they were so impressed with the condition they didn't charge me a dime.

I average about $100 in repairs every 100k for my VW-D's ($12 water pump, $7 timing belt, couple $6 ball jts (MAYBE), and $4 belts and hoses~(6)). (and I have MANY over 300k). I would probably have to add another $500 to go over 500k (head work)

on the OTHER hand... my USA truck requires about $2000k in 'front end work' every 100k. (Cummins engine is kinda heavy..) BTW: I don't DO that frt end work... I just wander around the lane a bit more every 100k miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 11:55 AM

1,976 posts, read 6,857,850 times
Speaking of Chrysler Minivans, our 2000 has 140+ miles on it. The engine and the transmission have been solid, but the rest of the parts have really put us in the negative. The partial list so far includes, 2 fuel pumps, starter, alternator, water pump, 2 radiators, brake master cylinder and wheel cylinder, shocks, power window motors (2), 2 wheel bearings, in addition to the usual brake pad/rotor/tire etc. This is just with meticulous maintenance. The only reason the tranny is alive is the regular ATF4 changes I do. The paint is to metal on the hood and roof despite frequent wash & wax.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:06 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times
Anything foreign.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:19 PM

19,122 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Anything foreign.

Well, as many of us have already stated, any car sold today--if maintained diligently and if repaired promptly when necessary--has the potential to last for 300k miles, or more. However, a lot has to do with your tolerance for increasing repair costs as these cars age--particularly Mercedes vehicles. The annual cost for maintenance and repair on an old Mercedes can easily exceed the book value of the car.

If you ever had the misfortune to own any of the cars that Toyota and Nissan (Datsun) foisted on the American public when they first began marketing their cars in the US, you would not be so convinced about the superiority of foreign makes. However, over the past few decades, improvements in engine design and in lubricants has made an incredible difference in the durability of all makes, both foreign and domestic.

Last edited by Retriever; 08-04-2012 at 12:36 PM..

Old 08-04-2012, 12:38 PM

720 posts, read 3,007,030 times
alot of people say any car will last that long if properly cared for and if you want to put money into replacements. i had a toyota camry i got crashed into and the car totalled just prior to hitting 200k but i woulda kept that til i drove it into the ground. one of my windows motors stopped working but overall nothing else broke in terms of door knobs, radio knobs, ceiling wasn't falling down etc.

i bought a jeep after that, biggest mistake of my life. the thing had 63k though it was 10 years old. everything about it just felt cheap plasticy vs my camry where evne the plastic felt solid but dors and things even more so.

a car going 300k just on wear nad tear of getting in and out, using knobs nad switches, etc your probably going to have plastic cracking and breaking and those seemingly little thing cost a fortune to fix even th parts tend to be expensive if you can do the work yourself.

i recently bought a 2011 elantra. i love the car and am happy with it. id like to keep it for a while but doesn't seem nearly as solid as my camry

Old 08-04-2012, 02:16 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,906,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
alot of people say any car will last that long if properly cared for and if you want to put money into replacements. i had a toyota camry i got crashed into and the car totalled just prior to hitting 200k but i woulda kept that til i drove it into the ground. one of my windows motors stopped working but overall nothing else broke in terms of door knobs, radio knobs, ceiling wasn't falling down etc.

i bought a jeep after that, biggest mistake of my life. the thing had 63k though it was 10 years old. everything about it just felt cheap plasticy vs my camry where evne the plastic felt solid but dors and things even more so.

a car going 300k just on wear nad tear of getting in and out, using knobs nad switches, etc your probably going to have plastic cracking and breaking and those seemingly little thing cost a fortune to fix even th parts tend to be expensive if you can do the work yourself.

i recently bought a 2011 elantra. i love the car and am happy with it. id like to keep it for a while but doesn't seem nearly as solid as my camry
What year is the Camry?

Old 08-04-2012, 02:25 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Hah, I like how you qualify that your Civic has "a little over" 261,000 miles.

"Well, a Civic with just under 261,000 miles... what's the big deal? But just over 261,000 miles, now that's really special."
Replaced the timing belt at 150,000 miles, but the old belt was in good shape. I also replaced the fuel injectors a couple of years ago. Other than that, I replace the brake shoes and pads every few years, and until this year replaced the oil and filter every 3,000 miles. The oil I used was regular NAPA, Quaker State, Penzoil, etc., and the filters (oil,and air) are NAPA, or FRAM. Then this year while at Walmart noticed that they ask for $26.00 for a gallon of Mobil 1 5W-30 oil, so I switched from conventional to synthetic (extended mileage type), which I will replace every 7,000 miles. Figured that I am not paying more for synthetic than regular oil as long as I replace every 7,000 miles.

------------
In relation to the link in the OP, I don't think that some of the newer automobiles shown will last as long as older automobiles. For example, there is no way that the Subaru Forester shown will last as some of the very old Subaru cars that are still on the roads of Alaska. The motors on the old Subaru automobiles were of the close-deck design, which are a lot fuller around the cylinders than the open-deck design of today.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:03 PM

607 posts, read 1,393,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post

I have to agree. I myself went from a Toyota to a General Motors vehicle and I could definitely tell the difference between the quality of the two. And it was mainly just little things such as my rear view mirror falling off in my GM vehicle while I drove my Toyota until 279,000 and never had my mirror fall off. I also had my radio knob that turns the station break off in my GM vehicle, while I never had anything break off on the radio in my Toyota. I know these are just little things that in the grand scheme of things are no big deal, but to me it just seems like foreign vehicles are made from better quality materials than American vehicles.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:06 PM

607 posts, read 1,393,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Any car can last for 300,000 miles if you have a bottomless barrel of money to keep repairing it.

The question should be which vehicles need the least repairs.
True. I have an S-10 that has 245,000 miles on it, but it's taken a LOT of money to get it there. I would have stopped putting money into it a looong time ago if I could afford to get another vehicle. But right now, it's all I got.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:16 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,673,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Any 4.0 jeep should last that long, Transmission not so much though.
Very few automatic transmissions last that long without major work, but some are better than others.

In the case of the Jeep 4.0, it depends which Jeep you're talking about.

The "AW4" transmission installed in the XJ Cherokees was the good one that can go the distance. (XJ is the code name for the little Cherokee produced from 1984 to 2001.)

Grand Cherokees are a different beast. Chrysler put an entirely different transmission behind the 4.0 in those vehicles.

(EDIT: I forget to mention, the 4.0 was a good engine, but at the end, it was woefully obsolete in terms of fuel economy, emissions, and horsepower. It was also loud, and really not that smooth for a straight 6. Chrysler had no choice but to retire it. Its passing is lamented, but progress keeps progressing.)

Last edited by Thegonagle; 08-04-2012 at 03:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive