Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 01:40 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,698,726 times

Advertisements

After much deliberation I decided to buy a 2009 Ford Focus SES. It's fantastic. Good power, handles well, seems sturdy, leather interior, great audio, I love her so much! Here's a photo of me and the front... I'll upload some more pics later. Gonna treat her real well. First order of business is gonna be to get a Terps badge for the back and a couple stickers for the rear windshield. Then some Rain-X wipers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 02:01 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,818,485 times
Your local autparts stores have what you need on the shelf to keep it running for over 200,000 miles.

Royal Purple used on an LS1 on "Horse Power TV" - YouTube

Old 09-30-2012, 02:13 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,022,935 times
Congrats on your purchase! I'm sure you'll be very happy as the miles pour on! Focus is a great little American car. I am however surprised that RG likes it too...it's got WAY to many "new goodies" for his taste. And don't drink the hype on the Royal Purple. It's plenty good oil, but if you're just wanting to go synthetic, go synthetic and increase your oil change intervals appropriately. '

PS, RG does every post of yours HAVE to contain a youtube video?

Old 09-30-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
Congrats on your purchase! I'm sure you'll be very happy as the miles pour on! Focus is a great little American car. I am however surprised that RG likes it too...it's got WAY to many "new goodies" for his taste. And don't drink the hype on the Royal Purple. It's plenty good oil, but if you're just wanting to go synthetic, go synthetic and increase your oil change intervals appropriately. '

I see you never bothered to watch it. It's NOT just a synthetic oil BTW.......8 more rear wheel horsepower over stock. Castrol Edge and Mobil 1 doesn't do that!

Old 09-30-2012, 02:41 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,022,935 times
I did watch it...8 horsepower isn't bad.

Now, lets jump to the Youtube unknowns.

What type of oil was in the car for the baseline?
What type of oil was used in the differential for the baseline?
What type of ATF was used in that T56 for the baseline?
How many miles were on each of those?

I'm unsure if any of the other oil manufacturers also manufacturer a synthetic gear oil and ATF that are compatible with both of these components, but i'd imagine they do. So, if we replace say, 2000-3000 mile bottom shelf dino oil, and 40-50k mile transmission fluid and rear gear oil with fresh, synthetic fluids with friction modifiers I'd expect a horsepower increase as well...wouldn't you?

PS, thanks for answering my second question.

What I'd love to see, would be a dyno comparison from each manufacturer of fluids in that same vehicle, on that same day, on that same dyno...then we'd be talking. But I bet Shell, Mobil, Castrol etc weren't donating to HotRod TV in the same way that Royal Purple was.

OP - Good looking car! Get some more photos up of the rest of her. And enjoy the drive!

Old 09-30-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
I did watch it...8 horsepower isn't bad.

Now, lets jump to the Youtube unknowns.

What type of oil was in the car for the baseline?
What type of oil was used in the differential for the baseline?
What type of ATF was used in that T56 for the baseline?
How many miles were on each of those?

I'm unsure if any of the other oil manufacturers also manufacturer a synthetic gear oil and ATF that are compatible with both of these components, but i'd imagine they do. So, if we replace say, 2000-3000 mile bottom shelf dino oil, and 40-50k mile transmission fluid and rear gear oil with fresh, synthetic fluids with friction modifiers I'd expect a horsepower increase as well...wouldn't you?

PS, thanks for answering my second question.

What I'd love to see, would be a dyno comparison from each manufacturer of fluids in that same vehicle, on that same day, on that same dyno...then we'd be talking. But I bet Shell, Mobil, Castrol etc weren't donating to HotRod TV in the same way that Royal Purple was.

OP - Good looking car! Get some more photos up of the rest of her. And enjoy the drive!
No...Royal Purple and Redline were developed special for racing applications. I thought everyone in "the know" knew that already!

Old 09-30-2012, 02:50 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,653,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post
I see you never bothered to watch it. It's NOT just a synthetic oil BTW.......8 more rear wheel horsepower over stock. Castrol Edge and Mobil 1 doesn't do that!
The thing is at least on the net, there are alot of rumors/stories etc... about Ropyal purple not protecting your engine, and actually causing catostrophic failures. It is not widespread, but you never hear it on the other oils, that are far more common place, only really royal purple.

If I had a race car on the side, I barely drove, I would consider. But not on a Daily driver.

Honestly, stick with Mobil 1, its good enough and availible at walmart on sale.

BTW as for 8 hp claims remember that is on an ~330-350 hp ls1. Something like this may cause a percentage increase on something like a focus, it might give 3-4 hp.

I'd rather keep less junk in the car, and maybe throw an intake on the car and still save money over buying royal purple.

BTW who sponsors HP TV, I bet Royal Purple does.

Old 09-30-2012, 02:54 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,653,420 times
BTW OP, nice looking car. Good advice look into detaling a little bit, learn some tricks to protect the paint(can be as simple as use certain rags), and you can have a great looking car for years.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:08 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,237,950 times
Quote:

He has no problem with new goodies. He just wants them on old cars, so he can tell us how much better old cars are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post
If this level of gain was proven across all types of cars, and it protected as well as other premium products, then everyone in the know would be using it and telling others about it. That's not happening. So I'm not buying it, literally and figuratively.

Good for you, OP. I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of your car.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:10 PM

393 posts, read 1,203,048 times
From one Terp to another: Many congrats!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive