Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 08:49 AM

2,778 posts, read 5,167,323 times

Advertisements

I must admit that although I never owned (yet) a diesel engine car, I'm very much inclined to get my next car with the diesel option. Too bad that that unlike Europe we are so limited here in USA on our diesel options...another reason to not buy one...

There are some cars that I would consider:
Volkswagen/Audi TDI: A3, Jetta, Passat (hopefully Tiguan in the future), Q5/Q3
BMW diesel (335d, X3)
Mercedes diesel (E320 Bluetec, new GLK250/350 Bluetec, wish for a C class diesel)

The problem I have (and stops me from getting a diesel) is the fact that diesel fuel here is about 8%-10% higher cost than regular fuel (while diesel is less expensive than regular fuel in Europe). On top of that there is a premium price to be paid for diesel engines. I know Europeans buy about 60% new cars with diesel, but they have the savings advantage & many car options that we don't seem to enjoy here...

With new vehicles becoming more and more efficient on gasoline, considering the higher diesel price and extra cost for diesel engine, is it really worth it???
Would the difference be paid off?
What do you think?

Last edited by 28173; 10-05-2012 at 09:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 09:04 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,173,765 times
Gas will be going up in price.
The cost of ethanol/corn will ensure it.
Look at Californian they have a gas shortage gas is over $5 a gal while diesel is a dollar less.

Yes, some gassers do get good millage but at what cost?
Small econo boxes with no power and no leg room.
The diesel Volkswagen will pin you to the seat if you floor it.
It won't leave you wondering if you can speed up in time.

You will also recoup the cost of the diesel at resale as they hold there value.

A diesel engine lasts longer too.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Gas will be going up in price.
The cost of ethanol/corn will ensure it.
Look at Californian they have a gas shortage gas is over $5 a gal while diesel is a dollar less.

Yes, some gassers do get good millage but at what cost?
Small econo boxes with no power and no leg room.
The diesel Volkswagen will pin you to the seat if you floor it.
It won't leave you wondering if you can speed up in time.

You will also recoup the cost of the diesel at resale as they hold there value.

A diesel engine lasts longer too.
Agree!
A lot more torque in diesels is very noticeable.
Also one can double the engine mileage on diesel engines (hence the holding value on second hand ones).

Old 10-05-2012, 09:20 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
I've driven a diesel (pickup) since 2000. The same one, it's at 375,000+ and still going strong. In looking for another vehicle, a car this time, I'm finding it very difficult to force myself to go back to gasoline.

Yes, it's worth it.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:29 AM

29,505 posts, read 14,663,209 times
It all depends on how long you plan on keeping the vehicle and how many miles you put on it. If you own a diesel you should know a little about the mechanics of it as well. Not saying you need to learn how to wrench but should be able to diagnose problems on your own. With the new diesels it is getting harder to do this. I've been driving diesels since 2001 , first was a Dodge Ram with a Cummins and then a 2001 VW Jetta TDI. Both of those where actually modded to increase power and torque. For me diesel was the way to go, at that time I towed a #7500 snowmobile /ATV trailer on a regular basis so I wanted the diesel for the power and mileage while towing. I have a 76 mile (round trip) commute to work so the Jetta works perfectly.
Gas vehicles are getting better in fuel economy but keep in mind that they are tested a certain way to achieve those numbers. I happen to be a very agressive driver so that kind of driving lends itself to not being the best for mileage. But you don't notice it as much when driving a diesel. My TDI Jetta with my style of driving gets 46-48mpg.. if I drove like a normal human should I'd probably get 50-51mpg.. I gaurantee if I was driving any of the higher mileage gas vehicles that are out I would get know where near their advertised economy.

The past 4 years I do not tow on a regular basis, maybe four or five times a year so my diesel truck was spending most of the time sitting (plus we needed more room for the family) , I made the decision to sell it and replaced it with a gasser. I still needed the ability to tow on occasion and needed extra room so I picked up a Ford Excursion with a V10. I miss the diesel truck but it just wasnt' worth keeping it with the few miles I put on it a year.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:04 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,173,765 times
I don't see where it makes a difference.
you said, "we needed more room for the family"
as the reason what does the amount you use it have to do with it?
You bought the excursion for the passenger capacity.
You could have gotten a quad cab diesel pick up.

next. diagnostics new vehicles have a OBDT port. With a scan-tool you can watch every sensor/parameter and it will tell you what is wrong.

so it is actually getting easier not harder to diagnose problems.

Not much to do on a diesel, but change the oil and filters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
It all depends on how long you plan on keeping the vehicle and how many miles you put on it.
The past 4 years I do not tow on a regular basis, maybe four or five times a year so my diesel truck was spending most of the time sitting (plus we needed more room for the family) , I made the decision to sell it and replaced it with a gasser. I still needed the ability to tow on occasion and needed extra room so I picked up a Ford Excursion with a V10. I miss the diesel truck but it just wasnt' worth keeping it with the few miles I put on it a year.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:05 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,928,806 times
as a European, I've been driving diesels on and off for years.

Diesel engine technology has improved markedly.

Major caveats, make sure you change the timing belt, and change the oil regularly.
Apart from that, you shouldn't have any problems. Mpg is a HUGE jump over gasoline, with not much of a noticeable drop in performance, if at all.

Most diesel engines rely heavily on computers now, but that's no different than modern gas engines.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:19 AM

29,505 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
I don't see where it makes a difference.
you said, "we needed more room for the family"
as the reason what does the amount you use it have to do with it?
You bought the excursion for the passenger capacity.
You could have gotten a quad cab diesel pick up.

next. diagnostics new vehicles have a OBDT port. With a scan-tool you can watch every sensor/parameter and it will tell you what is wrong.

so it is actually getting easier not harder to diagnose problems.

Not much to do on a diesel, but change the oil and filters.
I went from putting around 15,000 to 20,000 miles a year on the truck to around 7500. I ran Amsoil in it so the oil changes were not cheap and fitting 4 to 5 people , two dogs and all our gear was getting sort of tight (it was a Quad cab) and when I sold it I got $15k for it with 150,000 miles. We got the gasser Excursion (94,000 miles) which was in better shape then the truck was and fits us WAY more comfortably than the quad cab for $9500. The thing is we where really trying to go without a truck and just couldn't do it. I didn't want to spend close to $30k for a quad or mega cab diesel to just have it sitting around most of the time. Sure 14mpg vs the 21 that the Cummins got sucks and I do miss it but over all like the big Ex better.. it would be even better with a Cummins in it though..LOL
So I guess the difference is having $9500 just sitting around until I need it vs $25k plus..

As far as diagnosing the new diesels.. I do see your point , I use Vag-Comm to trouble shoot things on my TDI but the new diesels just seem to have more that can and does go wrong with them. And they are much harder to work on yourself. Not to mention all the added emissions crap is just hurting the fuel economy of them... and that is what was the value of one to begin with. I might be wrong here but I think the new VW's don't get anywhere near 50mpg like the ALH motors do or the new Cummins doesn't get into the 20's like the pre '06 versions.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:47 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
as a European, I've been driving diesels on and off for years.

Diesel engine technology has improved markedly.

... Mpg is a HUGE jump over gasoline,
And you DON'T need Dinosaurs or OPEC Many substitues for diesel fuels.

I have a fleet of over 30 VW -D's... most are good, but I sure hate the window controllers and door handles (and most of mine leak rain... (they are older, and I get 100+ inches of rain / yr). I have over 3 million fleet miles without a tow, and none of mine have ever darkened the door of a fix-it-shop, *besides mine...

50 mpg since 1976, no OPEC required.

I must admit, I am not keen on the new USA diesels, as most models force you to an auto tranny, and German engineers make absolutely disasterous Automatics, AND mileage take a 20+% hit.

My newest is 1997 TDI Passats (I have several) 52 mpg @ 70+ mph and 25 gal tank = 1200 mile range.

Reading over 1/2 tank at 500+ miles is a pretty good feeling, as you pass numerous gas stations. And watch the same Gasser pass you for the 3rd time (as they have had to pull off to refuel).

If you drive A LOT, are meticulous for Maint, AND you can stand the smell (some folks can't), then get a diesel. They are not for everybody.
I consider diesels have a very limited market in USA automotive. But that's fine with me... I don't do coffee but I need a fresh snort of unburnt diesel every morning to wake up (grew up on a farm). Weaned on a tractor smokestack.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:56 PM

Years back a former neighbor of mine was telling me how he used vegetable/used cooking oil in his old Mercedes diesel engine. And it smelled like fries at his car exhaust...
Can this still be done with the new diesels & urea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive