Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 05:53 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times

Advertisements

In order of preference
Hyundai Genesis sedan-really wish I could afford to get this beauty
Hyundai Azera-This thing is near Avalon only better looking
Hyundai Sonata-good midsize competitor
Kia Optima-this year the styling has improved especially in the interior
Hyundai Elantra-not too keen on the styling of the sedan but look forward to the touring wagon. Even the sedan has goobs of interior room though it's suppose to be a compact.
Kia Spectra-styling reminds me of the early Mazda Protege
Hyundai Accent-the two door hatchback is sporty looking
Kia Rio-four door hatchback with plenty of room

Notice I left out the Kia Amanti. Though the engine, suspension, and interior are very good, it's styling leaves a lot to be desired. I do like the new car Kia is about to come out with. Looks like it could be a replacement for the Spectra and with more power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 11:11 PM

9,412 posts, read 11,159,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
In order of preference
Hyundai Genesis sedan-really wish I could afford to get this beauty
Hyundai Azera-This thing is near Avalon only better looking
Hyundai Sonata-good midsize competitor
Kia Optima-this year the styling has improved especially in the interior
Hyundai Elantra-not too keen on the styling of the sedan but look forward to the touring wagon. Even the sedan has goobs of interior room though it's suppose to be a compact.
Kia Spectra-styling reminds me of the early Mazda Protege
Hyundai Accent-the two door hatchback is sporty looking
Kia Rio-four door hatchback with plenty of room

Notice I left out the Kia Amanti. Though the engine, suspension, and interior are very good, it's styling leaves a lot to be desired. I do like the new car Kia is about to come out with. Looks like it could be a replacement for the Spectra and with more power.
The Spectra is an excellent package. Not all testers write it up as such, but CandD had high praise.
It reminds me of my two 1990s Proteges, but with more power and torque and lower cruising RPMs.
And it reminds me of my 1990 Camry.
All three of those were fine cars that did it all. Handling, braking, power all balanced, with no one trait overwhelming the others. No mechanical issues with any.
And it reminds me of my 66 Rover 2000, an extraordinary touring car that years ahead of its time. Many have finally caught up, but it's also 2009 so they've had time.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:38 PM

143 posts, read 762,204 times
You'll like the re-design for the Kia Spectra. I believe they're going to call it the Forte.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:37 AM

9,412 posts, read 11,159,448 times
^^ The Spectra/Forte debate is ongoing from what I read. Last I heard, retaining Spectra was winning out. It's supposed to be up the KIA USA, not corporate in Korea.

I really don't see the point in name changes, that is one gripe I have with GM and Ford, GM especially.

Civic, Accord, Camry, Corolla have been around for 20-30+ years and those names will never change.
Good product doesn't require feeble corporate attempts to fool the customer.

I would vote the retain the name, but nobody asked.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:11 PM

Sort of like Chevrolet's Vega, Monza, Cavalier, Cobalt, and the soon to come Cruze. Basicly, they were all nothing more than continuations of the same car but under different names. Early Corollas even up in the early 1980s were rear wheel drive and some generational changes could have been called by a different name but the car all served the same purpose,...entry level compact car.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:05 PM

421 posts, read 1,565,856 times
They are nothing special. The low prices, positive sales tactics of the dealerships, and the warranty are what sell Kia cars. Not the way they drive. As far as the way they drive, they feel cheap and flimsy. The handling, for a newer vehicle, is horrible. They have no road feel whatsoever. A new Chevrolet is a far nicer driving car, more solid, better ride, far superior handling, much more engine power, and, my guess is, better long-time reliability when the warranty on the Kia is up.

My wife had a 2005 Sportage. The rear differential was going bad at 55,000 miles. The thing handled horribly, had hard, uncomfortable seats, horrible gas mileage, and a dangerous lack of acceleration. This thing was too big and heavy for the small v6 engine, accelerated about like a 1981 Chevy Citation with the carbureted 4 cylinder, but got the gas mileage of a 1988 Mercury Grand Marquis with the 302 v8. Handling felt like a 1978 Ford LTD, with absolutely no road feel. We traded this lumbering, cheap piece of junk for a used Chevy HHR the Kia dealership had on the lot.

The HHR is an excellent vehicle!! 35 MPG highway instead of 22 like that lumbering Sportage, and as much storage space as the sportage. Far better handling, far nicer seats, superior to the Kia in every way. Doesn't have the big warranty, but doesn't seem to need it. As nice as the Kia dealership salespeople are, that doesn't make up for the shameful cheapness and horrible engineering of Kia vehicles. Kia has a long way to go before they should, rightfully, even begin to compete with the American manufacturers. If American car makers would use the Kia dealership sales tactics and get a 100,000 warranty, Kia would go the way of American Motors and Studebaker.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:10 PM

You're comparing a truck type SUV handling to a wagon based upon the Chevy Cobalt. You'd have to compare the HHR's handling to the Kia Rondo (tall wagon Optima) or the Kia Spectra5 (wagon version of the Spectra with sport suspension).

Old 03-01-2009, 05:09 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwelleaut View Post
They are nothing special. The low prices, positive sales tactics of the dealerships, and the warranty are what sell Kia cars. Not the way they drive. As far as the way they drive, they feel cheap and flimsy. The handling, for a newer vehicle, is horrible. They have no road feel whatsoever. A new Chevrolet is a far nicer driving car, more solid, better ride, far superior handling, much more engine power, and, my guess is, better long-time reliability when the warranty on the Kia is up.

My wife had a 2005 Sportage. The rear differential was going bad at 55,000 miles. The thing handled horribly, had hard, uncomfortable seats, horrible gas mileage, and a dangerous lack of acceleration. This thing was too big and heavy for the small v6 engine, accelerated about like a 1981 Chevy Citation with the carbureted 4 cylinder, but got the gas mileage of a 1988 Mercury Grand Marquis with the 302 v8. Handling felt like a 1978 Ford LTD, with absolutely no road feel. We traded this lumbering, cheap piece of junk for a used Chevy HHR the Kia dealership had on the lot.

The HHR is an excellent vehicle!! 35 MPG highway instead of 22 like that lumbering Sportage, and as much storage space as the sportage. Far better handling, far nicer seats, superior to the Kia in every way. Doesn't have the big warranty, but doesn't seem to need it. As nice as the Kia dealership salespeople are, that doesn't make up for the shameful cheapness and horrible engineering of Kia vehicles. Kia has a long way to go before they should, rightfully, even begin to compete with the American manufacturers. If American car makers would use the Kia dealership sales tactics and get a 100,000 warranty, Kia would go the way of American Motors and Studebaker.
As a current owner of a Kia Sorento, and a past owner of countless American and foreign cars, I will unequivocally say you are wrong. Perhaps not about your Sportage, but we are being asked (I believe) about the current lineup of Kia.

I can't vouch for the 2005 Sportage, but the 2008 Sorento I drive has a large V6 with more than enough power, even at highway speeds, for passing and avoiding tough situations. Handling is excellent, as are the brakes, which I discovered when an idiot pulled out in front of me. I avoided T boning him with ease. Road feel is as good as anything I've ever driven. It is comfortable, quiet (except for the growly exhaust), and fits me fine at 6'-2".

Perhaps 2005 was a bad year. Maybe you bought a lemon. Who knows? I can tell you that this vehicle impresses me.

As for the "sales tactics" and the warranty. I wonder why the American car dealers don't give a good warranty on their cars every time I hear this argument. What is wrong with the quality and build of these cars that keeps them from doing just that? How am I supposed to have faith in these cars when it is obvious from their poor warranty that the car companies don't. As for "sales tactics", well that comment I don't get at all. Our salesman was one of the best I've ever dealt with: Professional, low-key, willing to deal, no high pressure, gave us an excellent deal and a great trade-in price.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:54 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,906,525 times
Dude get a Toyota or Honda and remove all doubt.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:38 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
I'll admit I kinda like the Veracruz, but I could probably never make myself spend $30k on a Hyundai.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive