Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 04:12 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,310,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Are you actually saying that someone not driving as fast as you want them to is forcing you to be a bad driver? Because that's what I was responding to, and if you're defending that stance, you need to not be on the road because you're not mature enough to deal with the many problems that can occur while operating a potentially deadly machine. Nobody makes you do that; you CHOOSE to react that way, and the onus is entirely on you for that behavior.

Oh, and saying it's all about ego? Pot, meet kettle.
Both people are wrong and that's what you fail to understand. You think the slow driver has no responsibility and that's not the case. I don't pass people dangerously, however I do willingly switch lanes to allow faster drivers to pass me and not impede the flow of traffic. I have no ego when it comes to driving. There are a lot of lunatics who drive ridiculously fast but it's not my job to discipline them on the freeway because that could endanger me and other drivers. My safety and the safety of others on the road takes precedence. I would hope that everyone is intelligent and mature enough to recognize this and not endanger themselves. The slow driver in the left lane is demonstrating a different form of road rage that is passive aggressive. Sitting in the left lane refusing to change lanes out of ego is immature
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 05:02 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,434,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Both people are wrong and that's what you fail to understand. You think the slow driver has no responsibility and that's not the case. I don't pass people dangerously, however I do willingly switch lanes to allow faster drivers to pass me and not impede the flow of traffic. I have no ego when it comes to driving. There are a lot of lunatics who drive ridiculously fast but it's not my job to discipline them on the freeway because that could endanger me and other drivers. My safety and the safety of others on the road takes precedence. I would hope that everyone is intelligent and mature enough to recognize this and not endanger themselves. The slow driver in the left lane is demonstrating a different form of road rage that is passive aggressive. Sitting in the left lane refusing to change lanes out of ego is immature
I didn't say the person driving below the speed limit in the left lane isn't doing anything wrong. What I did say (and it concerns me that people are out there on the roadway who can't seem to get this very important fact) is that no one makes you drive dangerously but yourself. You choose how to react to someone else doing something that you don't like when you encounter them on the roads. If you choose to weave and change lanes recklessly, you can't blame that on anyone but yourself. Thinking that it's someone else forcing you to do that is a clear indicator of someone who shouldn't be driving.

It's not rocket science, really.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:16 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,793,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
So what? You've said the same thing over and over. We got it. Stop blocking the left lane and let the cops will take care of the speeders.
Ok, serious question for you. What if the person in front of you is going 72mph in a 70mph speed limit area, are you going to tailgate them or go around, or just wait until they move over?

Old 02-28-2013, 09:18 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,713,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
Not saying that people shouldn't move over when they are going slower than everyone else if there is tme and space to move over safely, but the reason for these accidents is not the car in front. It's the driver in the back who has the responsibility to keep a safe distance. So, to sum it all up, regardless of how the driver in the back sees it or how the law is, no one can defeat the law of physics. You're too close to the car in front of you and he slams his brakes or suddenly has to stop and you rear end him then it's simply your fault for not respecting the distance you should have put in between you and him.
I wouldn't argue the liability but we have to recognize that its not just the guy behind that's at fault - holding up traffic causes compressed situations that are dangerous - its contributing to a situation where you can get rear ended and possibly killed even though the other guy is at fault.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:26 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,713,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
Actually it does mean you need to move right even if you are speeding and the person behind you wants to go even faster. It has nothing to do with EGO, its the LAW. See above.
People also need to understand the spirit of the law - it is more dangerous for a bunch of cars driving at high speed to be close to each other rather than spread out. Move over laws aren't concerned with posted speed limits, their intent is to make the roads safer by reducing bottlenecks.

Watch a NASCAR race at Daytona some time - when all the cars are bunched up and one car gets bumped and spins, you see massive accidents with 25 cars wrecked. When the same spin happens and the cars are spread out, typically only one car wrecks. That is the spirit of a move-over law - to keep bottlenecks from occurring and to keep drivers safer.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
They absolutly can ticket you. You can go to court and argue that you were keeping up with the flow of traffic, it may work, it may not. But you can absolulty get ticketd for going over the speed limit
You're correct. I clearly remember my father telling me stories where he stopped people for speeding and they thought that being with the flow of traffic was going to get them out of a ticket. He chuckled when telling me how these people actually thought that it was ok to speed just because everyone else was doing it. He's a Florida Highway Patrol Officer. He says he looks out for tailgaters, careless/wreckless drivers, and speeders first and foremost when he's patroling the interstate.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:38 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,434,410 times
Okay, let's put it to you straight, those of you who are all up in arms over the "slower traffic move left" law being so important and anyone who is slower than the traffic behind them should, obviously, obey the law because it's the law. (You've certainly said enough that it's the law and that's why people should do it.)

Are you equally vehement (and I haven't seen it displayed here yet) that anyone who is speeding should STOP IT because, after all, it's the law?

If not, why not. And "but Mom, everybody's doing it" answers don't count.

Tell me exactly why it's more important that those who are driving the speed limit (not under the speed limit) in ANY lane move to the right because it's the law than it is for everyone in ANY lane to not exceed the speed limit because it's the law. Without resorting to the aforementioned argument that shouldn't have worked with your Mom, never mind a police officer. And without being hypocritical. Bet you can't do it.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
People also need to understand the spirit of the law - it is more dangerous for a bunch of cars driving at high speed to be close to each other rather than spread out. Move over laws aren't concerned with posted speed limits, their intent is to make the roads safer by reducing bottlenecks.

Watch a NASCAR race at Daytona some time - when all the cars are bunched up and one car gets bumped and spins, you see massive accidents with 25 cars wrecked. When the same spin happens and the cars are spread out, typically only one car wrecks. That is the spirit of a move-over law - to keep bottlenecks from occurring and to keep drivers safer.
I agree that both people can be at fault depending on the situation. I'm not talking about the guy who is clueless or selfish just holding up a lane for the sake of holding up a lane because he doesn't feel like moving over. I'm talking more about in the city on interstates where there's lots of traffic in all lanes. Here in Nashville we have those interstates where the fast lane actually splits off into another freeway, so I'm not getting over in that case when that split is only half a mile ahead and I'm going 5mph over already. I'm not losing my spot or chance to exit off onto the other interstate after the split just because someone behind me is too impatient to wait until after the split is done. I have had people tailgate me and seen people get tailgated a lot in those situations when the guy in front is driving at a reasonable speed. I get that it's wrong to block the fast lane and I hate when I see people doing 5 mph under the speed limit when there are lots of cars behind him being held up, I get that and agree that the idiot should move over, but we've all seen the other scenerio where the guy from behind is just trying to control and force his will upon the driver in front even though the driver in front is actaully going at a reasonable speed like most of the other fast laners behind him except this one control freak who wants to endanger people. That kind of driver is the kind that doesn't wait to see if the person in front has room or time to move over yet, they just get right up on the rear of that front car because they want to force someone to obey thier every wish. This is the kind of person I'm talking about and have seen out there all the time. We've all been tailgated by this idiot before guys. Don't act as if you haven't been like, "Who's this retard behind me think he is?"

Old 02-28-2013, 09:51 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,310,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Okay, let's put it to you straight, those of you who are all up in arms over the "slower traffic move left" law being so important and anyone who is slower than the traffic behind them should, obviously, obey the law because it's the law. (You've certainly said enough that it's the law and that's why people should do it.)

Are you equally vehement (and I haven't seen it displayed here yet) that anyone who is speeding should STOP IT because, after all, it's the law?

If not, why not. And "but Mom, everybody's doing it" answers don't count.

Tell me exactly why it's more important that those who are driving the speed limit (not under the speed limit) in ANY lane move to the right because it's the law than it is for everyone in ANY lane to not exceed the speed limit because it's the law. Without resorting to the aforementioned argument that shouldn't have worked with your Mom, never mind a police officer. And without being hypocritical. Bet you can't do it.
There are already laws that punish speeding so it's a moot point to discuss enforcing speeding since that is already a common and well accepted practice. It's also well accepted that fast drivers cause fatalities and can be wreckless. However, there has not been a concerted effort to prevent drivers from creating bottlenecks by driving slow in the left lane which is also a very dangerous practice and can lead to traffic fatalities.

What you need to recognize is that slow left lane drivers make it difficult on all drivers not just those willing to pass. I prefer to drive in the right lane but slow left lane drivers force people to pass on the right which makes it difficult on us drivers in the right lane. If these slow left lane drivers would just drop their ego and behave more responsibly by switching lanes and allowing drivers to pass, they would make it safer on everyone.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:52 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,838,380 times
To me it has nothing to do with the law and everything to do with common sense / common courtesy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive