Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 11:50 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times

Advertisements

The Uniform Vehicle Code states that, “upon all roadways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic,” (NHTSA) and many states have tailored similar restrictions. For example, in Arkansas although there is no keep right law there is a law that prohibits obstructing traffic by driving continuously in the left lane. In Louisiana - on multi-lane highways – drivers must keep right except to pass and they must move to the right if they are blocking overtaking traffic. In Colorado, the left lane is reserved for passing when the speed limit is 65 or higher. A motorist cited by a Colorado State Trooper for violating the Left Lane Law will face a $35.00 fine plus an additional $6.20 surcharge along with 3 points against the violator’s Colorado Driver’s.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 12:15 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,498,373 times
Notice how so many of these and other statues repeatedly refer to "flow of traffic" or "normal flow of traffic"???

While SOME others can only keep repeating "speed limit"! "Youre speeding" etc. Allowing for normal flow is one of the most important things for safety.. so stay the F outa the way and leave the enforcement of laws to the "pros". One of the best objectives one can have behind the wheel is to have as little impact on traffic and others progress as possible.. this includes where you place yourself, how you accelerate, when you do, when you choose to turn off or into traffic, what you do after you do, and being as clear with your intentions as possible..ie using flashers etc. Thats always one of my main goals behind the wheel. Making sure I have no influence or impediance of traffic and other motorists regardless of their behavior..

Old 03-02-2013, 12:27 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,198,193 times
It amazes me every time this comes up that people get themselves so worked up about this.

If you're moving slower in the fast lane, move over. If you're traveling 75, but the normal rate of speed for the fast lane is 85... move over when you can. You should always be aware of other drivers, but your main concern should be your own safety and the safety of your passengers.

Some posters here have hundreds of posts on the subject and just can't resist, I guess.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:36 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Normal flow of traffic legally means the normal flow of traffic at the speed limit or below, unless you can show us a statute that specifically states that the speed limit doesn't apply if everyone is speeding (we'll call it the "but Mommy, everybody's doing it" statute. Got one of those to show me? Didn't think so.

Yes, if you're moving slower in the fast lane, move over. But you are not, I repeat NOT, the instigating cause of the problem if you are traveling at the speed limit or above. The instigating cause of the problem, though they will never, ever, EVER admit it because they're not adult enough to, is the person who is driving over the speed limit, no matter how many excuses they throw up to try to hide that very obvious fact.

Oh, and last I looked, the word "troll" does not mean "does not agree with me", though some try to use it that way as an argument ad hominem when they can't convince someone that black is white.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Normal flow of traffic legally means the normal flow of traffic at the speed limit or below, unless you can show us a statute that specifically states that the speed limit doesn't apply if everyone is speeding (we'll call it the "but Mommy, everybody's doing it" statute. Got one of those to show me? Didn't think so.

Yes, if you're moving slower in the fast lane, move over. But you are not, I repeat NOT, the instigating cause of the problem if you are traveling at the speed limit or above. The instigating cause of the problem, though they will never, ever, EVER admit it because they're not adult enough to, is the person who is driving over the speed limit, no matter how many excuses they throw up to try to hide that very obvious fact.

Oh, and last I looked, the word "troll" does not mean "does not agree with me", though some try to use it that way as an argument ad hominem when they can't convince someone that black is white.

Flow of traffic DOES NOT have ANYTHING to do with speed limit..THATS exactly why theres no wording added to "normal flow of traffic" such as "legal speeds" etc. You can't just insert your own words and meaning.. it reads as it IS STATED. "FLOW OF TRAFFIC" It does not read "flow of traffic at within legal speed limits".....and troll certainly has MUCH to do with YOU!.. js..

Old 03-02-2013, 12:45 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,949,264 times
A driver that insists on driving the speed limit when everyone else is going 10+ mph faster is absolutely impeding the flow of traffic, and is at least as dangerous as the driver going 10+ mph faster than everyone else.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:07 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Flow of traffic DOES NOT have ANYTHING to do with speed limit..THATS exactly why theres no wording added to "normal flow of traffic" such as "legal speeds" etc. You can't just insert your own words and meaning.. it reads as it IS STATED. "FLOW OF TRAFFIC" It does not read "flow of traffic at within legal speed limits".....and troll certainly has MUCH to do with YOU!.. js..
No. I believe I posted earlier the two parts of the Texas Statute that deals with this, one indicating that traffic moving slower than normal should move right, the other indicating that the speed limit determines what's a reasonable speed and anything over it is unreasonable (therefore not "normal") and illegal.

You can't lean on just one part of the law in order to justify breaking another part of it and be taken seriously. No matter how much you really really really want to. Nor can I, and as I've said, anyone who is driving less than the speed limit in the left lane and impeding traffic is breaking the law as indicated in one part of the statute. So is the person who is driving faster than the speed limit in any lane as indicated in another part of the statute. Both are wrong, both are causing a problem. However, if someone is driving the speed limit in the left lane and someone else comes barreling up behind them at a high rate of speed, the second person is the one causing the problem, not the first, and if they can't acknowledge that they're not adult enough to be driving a multi-ton vehicle on the public roads.

That's not being a troll, that's stating facts that you don't like.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:10 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
Seems a little backwards to me, shouldn't they be charging people for speeding instead, or did that somehow become ok somewhere along the line?

Old 03-02-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
No. I believe I posted earlier the two parts of the Texas Statute that deals with this, one indicating that traffic moving slower than normal should move right, the other indicating that the speed limit determines what's a reasonable speed and anything over it is unreasonable (therefore not "normal") and illegal.

You can't lean on just one part of the law in order to justify breaking another part of it and be taken seriously. No matter how much you really really really want to. Nor can I, and as I've said, anyone who is driving less than the speed limit in the left lane and impeding traffic is breaking the law as indicated in one part of the statute. So is the person who is driving faster than the speed limit in any lane as indicated in another part of the statute. Both are wrong, both are causing a problem. However, if someone is driving the speed limit in the left lane and someone else comes barreling up behind them at a high rate of speed, the second person is the one causing the problem, not the first, and if they can't acknowledge that they're not adult enough to be driving a multi-ton vehicle on the public roads.

That's not being a troll, that's stating facts that you don't like.
Well according to plenty of the police, state troopers, federal LEO, sheriffs etc that I have helped to to train your interpertation is wrong and mine is right. So Im sticking with what Ive been told directly by countless LEO.
One of the reasons why theyre not out there pulling over a line of 20, 30, 50 cars in a line all going 5-10 ABOVE the spped limit.... They are more concerned with a steady/orderly flow of traffic without impediance more than worried about if people are 1, 2, or 5- 10 over.
And you are a troll in more than one sense of the word.. js but thanks to you for being in the appropiatte lane.. more people should work harder at it.

Last edited by LRPct; 03-02-2013 at 01:37 PM..

Old 03-02-2013, 01:40 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,563,140 times
13 pages in and still nobody has been able to explain why this law would cause road rage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive