Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 12:13 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,755,968 times

Advertisements

That's so horrifying. I cannot top it. That bug looks like something out of a sci-fi/horror film. Yeah I feel like a big baby too with my driving/bug story.

I almost wrecked once when a huge (Texas!) FLYING cockroach ("water bug"? please! too nice a term!) was apparently hanging out in my car in summer and didn't decide to make its presence known until I was doing 60 down the highway. It flew into my hair and got "caught" in my hair. Thankfully I had others with me to calm me down and get rid of the nasty before I ran off the road entirely!

Ugh. Now I am dreading summer even more. **shudder**
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 02:18 AM

24,455 posts, read 23,140,757 times
I've got a good one thats kind of tragic, kind of aggravating, maybe just a little funny. This just happened.
A man ran out of gas along a pretty busy road with businesses. He tried waving down passersby for help but nobody stopped. So he began to push the SUV up a slight hill with the drovers car door open and holding onto the wheel, steering it while walking along side. He lost control of the car as it rolled backwards clipping some poles and finally hitting a store sign while he was dragged underneath. He suffered injuries to his legs.
Tragic, up till this part of the story. I felt bad because I've run out of gas and had a person come out of their house and give me lawnmower gas to get me to a nearby gas station. I never forgot that act of kindness. So I probably would have stopped and at least given the guy a lift to a gas station which was only about a half mile away. No way would I have helped him push his car which is what his girlfriend implied people should have done. Then again, in this day and age, somebody trying to flag down drivers can be risky, so maybe I can understand why nobody stopped. And iI doubt I would have tried to flag down passersby. As a local guy he knew that gas stations were fairly close by.
Back to the girlfriend. She was very irate that nobody sopped to help her boyfriend until after the crash and he was injured. Then she said everybody came to help scurrying like " cockroaches."
Needless to say she was not a very popular person in the local news forums. Thats the funny part, her reaction.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:49 AM

777 posts, read 1,064,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i have seen women with the burka on stop on the freeway and back up to catch an off ramp. u think i make this stuff up dont u?
I actually saw someone do that just yesterday. This was on a 4-lane freeway that splits into 2 roadways of 2-lanes each and heading in different directions. This guy was deadset reversing on the shoulder, right back into the area where the roadway splits.

As for those wasps, those Tarantula Hawks are supposed to have one of the world's most painful stings of any creature on Earth. So not only are they the size of a freaking bird, but the sting is about as bad as it gets. I've seen similar looking wasps here, don't know if they were actual Tarantula Hawks but they were big.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:31 AM

22,414 posts, read 29,543,565 times
OMFFFFFFGGGGGGGGG. If that thing ever came anywhere near me, my car, 500 feet of me- I would absoutely die. I literally just did the heebeejeebee freakout dance in my living room. WTF. Who in the HELL MADE THAT??????

Old 03-06-2013, 08:33 AM

22,414 posts, read 29,543,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Holy crap. I can't even come close to being stung by a killer wasp while driving.

I hit a dog once. In a semi. A black Lab-type dog. Absolutely unavoidable and thankfully it died instantly but to this day I feel horrible about it.

OMG I would probably drive right off a cliff after.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:50 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,776,192 times
Looking at that bug, all I could think of was the movie Starship Troopers...

The only good bug is a dead bug. Would you like to know more?

Old 03-06-2013, 02:03 PM
lgt

469 posts, read 1,344,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bhoWfC1L9k

Old 03-06-2013, 02:40 PM

458 posts, read 1,252,054 times
Wow, did some reading on that bug, apparnetly it has the 2nd most painful sting of any bug in the world. Apparently the pain is so excruciating that you basically shut down which matches up with the story. Unfortunately for the guy, the bug is supposedly pretty docile and doesn't sting unless provoked so he just got pretty unlucky because he swatted out of instinct.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:52 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,188,380 times
So who else has been googling "most painful insect stings"?

The Straight Dope: Did the creator of the Schmidt Sting Pain Index volunteer to get stung by everything on earth?

Quote:
The Schmidt Sting Pain Index is a five-point scale, as follows:
  • Sting level 0 is virtually imperceptible — the stinger doesn’t penetrate the skin.
  • A level 1 sting is the sharp prick you get from a sweat bee or a fire ant, a rating that seems surprisingly low until you realize hardly anybody gets stung by just one fire ant.
  • A typical level 2 sting is produced by the honeybee, the benchmark of sting pain.
  • But things can get much worse. For the archetypal level 3 sting you want a harvester ant (genus Pogonomyrmex), whose sting combines intensity with duration — the pain can last four to eight hours.
  • Finally, there’s a level 4 sting, which is as bad as it can get. Schmidt knows of only three critters capable of inflicting level-4 suffering: the warrior wasp (Synoeca septentrionalis), a two-and-a-half-inch-long black bug found in the tropics; the bullet ant (Paraponera clavata), also tropical; and the tarantula hawk (genus Pepsis), two inches long, which Schmidt can find in his yard in Tucson.
The tarantula hawk’s sting, Schmidt has been quoted as saying, feels like “a running hair dryer has just been dropped into your bubble bath.” However, for sheer aggregation of misery he rates the sting of the bullet ant slightly higher. Whereas the sting of the tarantula hawk fades after two to five minutes, the “pure, intense, brilliant pain” of the bullet ant remains at full strength for one to four hours and can linger for 12 hours.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:01 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,809,831 times
the story would have been more horrifying if the person who came over while the guy while laying on the ground would have tied him up and sexually assaulted him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive