Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 09:56 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,082,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Most horrifying driving story I've ever heard...

I once read a news article about a family of five who crashed and the van in which they were driving caught fire and no one survived. A couple of teens dropped a chunk of concrete or a cinder block off of an overpass onto the windshield of the van. The driver, Dad, lost control of the vehicle and, well...

I think anyone caught thowing anything off of an overpass should be charged with attempted murder whether someone is hurt or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 10:38 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,170,403 times
That spider wasp thing is scary.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:07 PM

30,357 posts, read 23,827,261 times
Cannot top that first story...holy hell, that thing is repulsive! That guy got lucky!!!!

The worst, (besides my actual accident that messed me up), was when I was driving a van for a company I used to work for. I was on the freeway, going about 60mph when the car in front of me ran over some debris in the road.

Well, the debris turned out to be a split rim from a semi. When that car ran over it, it bounced up from underneath his car and came tearing through the air, slammed in to the windshield of the van I was driving and sliced right through. The ONLY thing that saved me was quick reaction on my part. I saw something sailing towards me, moved the van and my head a bit to the left, (all the time I had was for that bit), and that is why that split rim did not go right through my face.

Glass everywhere, had to go to hospital to have eyes checked for glass, (another stroke of luck, I slammed my eyes shut when it hit and did not get any glass in there), and get a tetanus shot. Van was picked up by company, I was sent home to shake it off and come down from the adrenaline and the shop at the place I worked for took the split rim out of the vehicle and spray painted it black and gray for me. That rim sat in my house as a "decoration" for many years to remind myself how very damn lucky I was.

The cop that showed up to make the report did not have the best "bed side" manner as he commenced to telling me all kinds of horror stories of people being impaled or killed by things flying up on the road and going through them when the person in front of them ran over it.

Still, it doesn't beat the first story.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:04 AM

22,410 posts, read 29,534,074 times
Wow these are some crazy stories. The only thing that I've had happen to me was many years ago I was driving up to Boca Raton on I95 to see my best friend in college. I'm in the left lane, next lane to me empty and then a semi in that lane a little ahead of me. Somehow the backend of the semi started swinging left and was a one point directly lengthwise in front of me. I was like WTF and HOLY SHYT. I swerved in the left lane because I was thinking it was going to swing back around to normal or flip or whatever. I missed the wall and thank god no one was next to me still. Somehow the semi corrected itself but I took the first exit off I95 and went right into a Bennigans and went right to the bar and ordered a vodka shot. It was like 11am and the bartender was like "you're as white as a ghost and shaking" I'm like just give me a vodka shot right now. I still cannot figure out to this day how that whole thing even happened????

Old 03-09-2013, 07:04 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,135,502 times
I was barreling along a remote desert road in the middle of the night recently and had the radio scanning through the stations when suddenly an intense pain enveloped me as a Justin Bieber song came on. I quickly swerved my car into the median and aimed for a bridge abutment and gripped the wheel tight waiting for impact when just as suddenly the radio scanned again to Men Without Hats and I swerved back onto the highway just in the nick-of-time, whew...

Old 03-09-2013, 09:30 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,952,371 times
Really? Because I heard there was a different outcome.

CRUISER CATCHES CAR CRASHING INTO BRIDGE - YouTube

*Note: The driver lived!

Old 03-09-2013, 01:59 PM

21,922 posts, read 25,263,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
Really? Because I heard there was a different outcome.

CRUISER CATCHES CAR CRASHING INTO BRIDGE - YouTube

*Note: The driver lived!
... how?

Old 03-09-2013, 03:25 PM

51,027 posts, read 36,735,609 times
OMG, that bug is the reason I'm staying in Jersey! There's only so much nature a person can take.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:07 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,350,980 times
Stupid nature.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:16 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,170,401 times
Wow, my neck hurts now. That is one nasty bug. *shiver* I agree that bug looks like something out of a horror movie. Thank goodness that driver survived.

Sadly, I have a couple.

My FIL had a horrible accident years ago that he had issues getting over. He was a truck driver and was down south where snow fall is rare. It was snowing lightly that morning. He was on the freeway when two older ladies in a Buick flew past him, then they changed lanes to get in front of him. As soon as they did that their car turned side ways. He tried to stop but couldnt. He said he had a few seconds to see them look up at him in horror before his semi slammed into them. The car flew off the road into a ditch. He ran to see if they were okay and both women were clearly dead. He had nightmares for a few years about it. Although it wasnt his fault he grieved badly and said he wasnt sure he would ever get over killing those women.

Our neighbor lost his son and father in a car accident. The only one that survived in the SUV was the sister n law. The neighbors dad wanted to take his grandson to a pro basketball game. The boy had been looking forward to it for months. The grandfather picked up the boy from school a little early to get a good start since it was 2 hrs away. They had just got on the freeway when they were pulled over for speeding. This bothered my neighbor greatly because he said his dad never sped in the car. So while they were pulled over and talking to the police officer, a truck driver was coming up on them completely asleep at the wheel. He plowed into the police car and then drove the police car into the car holding the family. Not only did the neighbor lose his son who was only 8 yrs old at the time, he also lost his dad. We live close to that freeway and the son and dad died less than mile from the house. The police officer that was speaking to them was killed also. They think that the officer who was training a rookie at the time chose the car because it would have been an easy stop for training purposes. I cant imagine what went through my neighbors mind after that. All the what if's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive