Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 09:10 PM

55 posts, read 92,127 times

Advertisements

Guys,

I want to buy a used car. I had narrowed my options to a Toyota Prius (2006 or later) after a lot of online research until my friend, who is also a mechanic talked me out of it. He said that Toyota Prius has the following problems:

1) It doesn't give the MPG as promised especially when the driving is mostly on the highways

2) The batteries (he says there are 3 of them) die sooner than 120K-150K miles and are f'ing expensive to replace

3) Slow acceleration is a HUGE problem

4) Transmission is really complex and can cost thousands of dollars to fix and it must be done before 100K

I am kinda confused since I thought it was a great car but he is asking me to stick with Honda Accord, Subaru Impreza or Toyota Camry. Please advise me as I am really, really confused.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Qamar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 09:49 PM

912 posts, read 1,286,567 times
Is there a reason your friend is telling you to get an accord or camry instead of a civic or corolla?

Sorry, I don't know much about the prius. We test drove one a few years ago... and it's not made for tall people (that may have changed).

Old 03-08-2013, 10:05 PM

2,160 posts, read 3,597,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qamarfaiz View Post
Guys,

I want to buy a used car. I had narrowed my options to a Toyota Prius (2006 or later) after a lot of online research until my friend, who is also a mechanic talked me out of it. He said that Toyota Prius has the following problems:

1) It doesn't give the MPG as promised especially when the driving is mostly on the highways

2) The batteries (he says there are 3 of them) die sooner than 120K-150K miles and are f'ing expensive to replace

3) Slow acceleration is a HUGE problem

4) Transmission is really complex and can cost thousands of dollars to fix and it must be done before 100K

I am kinda confused since I thought it was a great car but he is asking me to stick with Honda Accord, Subaru Impreza or Toyota Camry. Please advise me as I am really, really confused.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Qamar
I own a shop that specializes in the repair of Asian vehicles. Your friend is about half right.

The MPG IS less than promised for MOST drivers. This is true of most cars, however.

There are TWO batteries. The high voltage battery we change for about $3000, the 12v battery is proprietary and price varies depending on exact option from $150 - $200 + labor. Texas heat has been killing a lot of the expensive batteries lately.

Acceleration is adequate for most people.

Transmission IS expensive, but it is nonsense that is must be repaired or replaced before 100k. Often the transmission lasts the life of the vehicle.

Prius would not be my choice, but neither would the Impreza. I agree re' Camry and Accord. For ultimate economy it is hard to beat a Toyota Corolla or a Honda Civic.

Don

Old 03-09-2013, 07:13 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,740,504 times
Not true on the fuel economy. Check out fueleconomy.gov and you will see that from 2006 to 2009 the rated mileage for the Prius was 46 combined while the ~500 users got between 46-48 every year.

Compare Side-by-Side

And I don't know of any modern, mainstream car where the transmission is not designed to last over 100k.

This Vancouver cabbie had 250k on his Prius last I heard.

Acceleration is slower than most cars, but is hardly a problem. It is faster than many 80's Camaros so speed is a relative thing. It is true that higher temps are harder on the batteries.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Not true on the fuel economy. Check out fueleconomy.gov and you will see that from 2006 to 2009 the rated mileage for the Prius was 46 combined while the ~500 users got between 46-48 every year.
I snoop at the mileage displays when a Prius or Civic Hybrid owner brings a car in to my shop. Some Prius owners are getting averages in the mid-40s, some in the 30s, some in the upper 20s! There are quite a few more under 40 than above. Those that show a several hundred miles average MPG in the upper 20s or in the 30s typically tell me they get 40+ mpg. I nod my head and change the subject. I long ago learned not to dispute this. Whatever. It makes them happy and proud!

Don

Old 03-09-2013, 11:36 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,087,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
I own a shop that specializes in the repair of Asian vehicles. Your friend is about half right.

The MPG IS less than promised for MOST drivers. This is true of most cars, however.

There are TWO batteries. The high voltage battery we change for about $3000, the 12v battery is proprietary and price varies depending on exact option from $150 - $200 + labor. Texas heat has been killing a lot of the expensive batteries lately.

Transmission IS expensive, but it is nonsense that is must be repaired or replaced before 100k. Often the transmission lasts the life of the vehicle.

Prius would not be my choice, but neither would the Impreza. I agree re' Camry and Accord. For ultimate economy it is hard to beat a Toyota Corolla or a Honda Civic.

Don
I agree, that is good advice.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:25 PM

55 posts, read 92,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post

Don
Thanks a lot for your advice- yours might be the best advice I have received so far. Ain't it funny that everyone associated with the auto business has a totally different advice when it comes to any damn car?
I guess I am gravitating towards Honda Fit since not only it seems to be in the price range but it is also very reliable for a small car- guess the priuses are slightly larger and the CVT transmission and conflicting real-life opinions regarding the MPG makes me nervous

Old 03-09-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qamarfaiz View Post
Thanks a lot for your advice- yours might be the best advice I have received so far. Ain't it funny that everyone associated with the auto business has a totally different advice when it comes to any damn car?
I guess I am gravitating towards Honda Fit since not only it seems to be in the price range but it is also very reliable for a small car- guess the priuses are slightly larger and the CVT transmission and conflicting real-life opinions regarding the MPG makes me nervous
The Honda Fit is excellent. That is what this repair shop owner drives.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:53 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,913,908 times
Yeah I can't picture any used (older) hybrids holding their value even if it is a Toyota or Honda because of the expensive toxic battery to replace.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:03 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,948,498 times
The Honda Fit is one of my favorites for non-performance cars. It comfortably seats 4 (5 in a pinch), drives well in the city (good visibility, too), and gets good economy (mid 30's highway). The hatch is HUGE! I've seen one swallow a full-sized dresser. I've also seen someone put 2 mountain bikes in one, with plenty of room to spare.

Personally, I'd look for a Sport trim with the 5 speed manual, but even the base automatic is good. Only complaint I've heard is that it revs fairly high (around 4k rpm) on the highway. Still cruises well, with power to pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive