Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 07:58 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,479,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Does anyone have a problem with folks turning left in front of you when the light is green in both directions and you are turning right onto a street with two lanes? It appears some drivers think that one of those lanes belongs to people turning left and one to people turning right. In actuality, the person turning right has the right of way into either of those two lanes. If you are making a left turn on green you have to yield to everyone coming toward you.

A corollary to this is the person who has the right of way to make the right turn but stops and does not take it. Aargh! You are caught waiting for your left turn.

I agree about the right turn on red. You have to evaluate the entire light sequence. If you have been through the intersection many times, you should be able to tell whether oncoming traffic has a left turn arrow because you have been through the intersection from that direction before. If it is an unfamiliar intersection and you cannot be sure what is going on, you can always wait for the green.
I was taught the same thing growing up in California, and I got a ticket once for it. The officer called it a "wide left." Every other state I have lived in does not seem to practice this and seems that the person making the right, unless on a green arrow, must yield to a left turning car no matter what lane.

A common maneuver I see here in Georgia is on divided highways with no traffic lights is the right hand turn has to yield to the left hand turn crossing the highway. This makes the person making the right have to check traffic behind them to see if the left is even going to be able to go.

I also dont like being the lefty because I never know if those cars making the right will abide by the law and yield to me or try to take me out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Right turn on red means come to a complete stop, them proceed "when it is safe to do so". If anything happens, it was obviously not safe to do so, and you are in violation.
&
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Pretty simple. A red light is equivalent to a stop sign. You wait until it is clear to proceed. A red light is not a yield sign where you can just drive on by without stopping.
Kind of. Out here in Georgia, its very common to have a red light, but right turn yield. We do not have to stop if traffic is clear on a red right if marked to yield. We have many four way stops that are like this to. Ive lived in many states and Georgia road rules are just weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 09:45 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,138,812 times
Turn into the lane closest, otherwise you would be chaning lanes in the intersection. The easiest example of this is when there are two turn lanes.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:04 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
I was taught the same thing growing up in California, and I got a ticket once for it. The officer called it a "wide left." Every other state I have lived in does not seem to practice this and seems that the person making the right, unless on a green arrow, must yield to a left turning car no matter what lane.

A common maneuver I see here in Georgia is on divided highways with no traffic lights is the right hand turn has to yield to the left hand turn crossing the highway. This makes the person making the right have to check traffic behind them to see if the left is even going to be able to go.

I also dont like being the lefty because I never know if those cars making the right will abide by the law and yield to me or try to take me out!

&

Kind of. Out here in Georgia, its very common to have a red light, but right turn yield. We do not have to stop if traffic is clear on a red right if marked to yield. We have many four way stops that are like this to. Ive lived in many states and Georgia road rules are just weird.
Am I misunderstanding you? Can someone confirm whether Georgia actually says the above? It doesn't sound right to me.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Am I misunderstanding you? Can someone confirm whether Georgia actually says the above? It doesn't sound right to me.
GA loves yield signs. Here is one I just took on my way back from lunch. I have to yield to left hand turns.

as far as the yield signs at red lights, it's always been debated out here. I've asked officers in the past and they said they would never write a ticket because the law is is not clear on it.

1 law says you stop at red lights and the other law you yield and proceed been safe not being required to stop

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Old 03-18-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
And this is how they look. Take note of no stop line too.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Old 03-18-2013, 02:44 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
When States which have the right turn on red law. Who has the right of way if you have looked both ways and are safe as light changes and opposing traffic has left turn green. Those turning right have no way of knowing this.
If you are turning right on a red light, everyone has the right-of-way over you. That includes but is not limited to, pedestrians, bikes, left turning vehicles, U-turning vehicles, and cross traffic. What light the opposing traffic has, should be of no concern to you. If they are in the intersection, you must yield to them. That simple.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:51 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
here in arizona, the person turning on red NEVER has the right of way. and if you are at a light where there is a flashing yellow to indicate when cross traffic has a red light, but they now have the left turn arrow, you still have to give up the right of way to those making a U turn.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:00 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Does anyone have a problem with folks turning left in front of you when the light is green in both directions and you are turning right onto a street with two lanes? It appears some drivers think that one of those lanes belongs to people turning left and one to people turning right. In actuality, the person turning right has the right of way into either of those two lanes. If you are making a left turn on green you have to yield to everyone coming toward you.
Those people are right. You are wrong. In most states anyway.

2. Right turn. Begin and end the turn in the lane nearest the righthand curb. Do not swing wide into another lane of traffic. Watch for pedestrians, motorcyclists, and bicyclists between your vehicle and the curb. Sometimes, signs or pavement markings will let you turn right from another lane as shown by the graphic 2.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:04 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,781,638 times
When I lived in Minnesota, you could turn LEFT on a red light if no traffic was coming, and if you were turning from a one-way street onto another one-way street. (1976-1982).

Is it still that way in that state?

Old 03-18-2013, 04:59 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,169,496 times
Yes, it's still that way. a left hand turn from a one-way street onto another one-way street. after stopping for the red light is allowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
When I lived in Minnesota, you could turn LEFT on a red light if no traffic was coming, and if you were turning . (1976-1982).

Is it still that way in that state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive